Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't see how anybody can choose to buy a GX460 and complain that the 2020 RX is behind in tech...of all the Lexus vehicles its the one thats most behind...
You make a great point. I think it’s just needless just for the sake of being needless.
Old 06-14-19, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

If I cared about tech, I wouldn't buy a Lexus, thats just the bottom line. I like tech in a car, I think its cool its just not one of the top things on my list.
Old 06-14-19, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One reason, given the choice, that I would probably take a GX over an RX, even with the GX's somewhat stiffer ride and more-tipsy handling, is the GX's solid construction and underpinnings. Though there are places in the U.S. where the roads are even worse, the deterioration in the roads/bridges/infrastructure in this area, in the last several years, has been remarkable. Some improvements have been made, but in general, the pavement-deterioration has been faster and more widespread than VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) paving-crews can keep up with. In addition, when they DO repave the roads, the utility companies come in and just tear them up again trying to get to underground water-mains, cables, wires, gas-lines, etc.....and do not make adequate patch-repairs to the road surface. Vehicles like the GX and Land Cruiser can pound over those kind of roads, day and night, without knocking wheels out of alignment, wearing out shocks and suspensions, or getting squeaks/rattles in the structure.
Old 06-15-19, 12:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In addition, when they DO repave the roads, the utility companies come in and just tear them up again trying to get to underground water-mains, cables, wires, gas-lines, etc.....and do not make adequate patch-repairs to the road surface
Originally Posted by mmarshall
the deterioration in the roads/bridges/infrastructure in this area, in the last several years, has been remarkable. Some improvements have been made, but in general, the pavement-deterioration has been faster and more widespread than VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) paving-crews can keep up with. .
Is this really the case in your area?
Old 06-15-19, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not for decades, but it has become so in the last several years, due to several factors. I could list them here, or go into them more at length, but the moderators would probably not consider the subject appropriate for Car Chat, and delete the post.
Old 06-16-19, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its gotten pretty bad. I think suggesting that a GX is required to navigate them over an RX is dramatic, but a lot of the roads are a mess. Even the highways.

The BW Parkway got so bad they had to reduce the speed limit.
Old 06-17-19, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't see how anybody can choose to buy a GX460 and complain that the 2020 RX is behind in tech...of all the Lexus vehicles its the one thats most behind...
That's true I shouldn't complain about the RX being behind when I own a GX. However, the RX is the bread and butter of Lexus and it should offer more. Honestly, I don't understand how Lexus treats its higher end models where it gets less features, but that also goes to show Lexus values its lower end models more.
Old 06-17-19, 07:12 AM
situman
Pole Position

I don't view the RX as a competitor against the Germans models. Lexus in the unique position as the RX and ES, LX compare well with Lincoln, Cadillac and of course Acura. Whereas the rest of the brand IS, LS, LC all compare with the German brands. As for the GX, its a unique vehicle in that it was designed to appeal to existing Toyota brand customers who want something more upscale but are very loyal to the Toyota brand. A GX is definitely not a German competitor. What made you choose the GX?
I firmly view the RX as a competitor to the Germans, in fact I view the whole brand as a German competitors, otherwise why pay the extra premium versus an Acura or Infiniti? I chose the GX because of its overall feel as a vehicle. I have driven the RX, NX, ES, GS, LS and none of those unibody cars compares to the overall solidity of these BOF vehicles. Sure it rides a bit rougher and more head tussle over broken pavement, but its better absorbed and controlled, less crashy so to speak.
Old 06-17-19, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I chose the GX because of its overall feel as a vehicle. I have driven the RX, NX, ES, GS, LS and none of those unibody cars compares to the overall solidity of these BOF vehicles. Sure it rides a bit rougher and more head tussle over broken pavement, but its better absorbed and controlled, less crashy so to speak.
Yes I agree. The overall feel is different. We have had Toyota BOF models for our whole lives. I agree things are absorbed differently. However, for a daily driver. I would never want to drive a Lexus BOF model every day. An RX makes far better sense and is easier going. There are quite a few deficiencies that one gets with an LX or GX and the Toyota 4Runners and Land Cruisers. But they are fun to own.
Old 06-17-19, 11:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Yes I agree. The overall feel is different. We have had Toyota BOF models for our whole lives. I agree things are absorbed differently. However, for a daily driver. I would never want to drive a Lexus BOF model every day. An RX makes far better sense and is easier going. There are quite a few deficiencies that one gets with an LX or GX and the Toyota 4Runners and Land Cruisers. But they are fun to own.
Yea gas mileage is one, I'm averaging a bit over 15mpg. Strangely, my 2011 RX also averaged around 15mpg up to 18mpg. Not sure what owners are getting with the current gen.
Old 06-17-19, 01:19 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea gas mileage is one, I'm averaging a bit over 15mpg. Strangely, my 2011 RX also averaged around 15mpg up to 18mpg. Not sure what owners are getting with the current gen.
2017 350 - I'm getting 19.4 MPG mostly used by my wife to do crosstown trips for baby related activities.
Old 06-17-19, 04:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwong77
2017 350 - I'm getting 19.4 MPG mostly used by my wife to do crosstown trips for baby related activities.
Not much of an.improvement 6 yrs later huh?
Old 06-17-19, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its only the best selling luxury SUV on earth, but what does Lexus know?
Old 06-17-19, 05:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not much of an.improvement 6 yrs later huh?
Well the drivetrain hasn’t changed much as far as I know, but the fact it uses regular vs premium gas helps to relieve the pain at the pump.
Old 06-18-19, 06:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Its only the best selling luxury SUV on earth, but what does Lexus know?
I guess they only know how to make the RX because everything else they sell is not the best selling by far.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...