Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 07:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The RX update is just enough to make this thing last till the monumental shift to the L-GNA platform based 5th gen, expected to rollout after they introduce the 300 series platform mates (theory not facts as to when the exact rollout, but the 300 is the next up in the platform refreshes). The update is classy, and I think they made good with the dual user interface option of touchscreen/remote touch.

Imho, the RX, like any other Lexus crossover will sell regardless of an update, the product is just that good (and/or the core demographic who is repeat customer are a loyal group who can see no wrong).
Old 05-31-19, 07:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I cant tell the difference.
Agreed.

I also can't believe Lexus continues to incorporate the touch pad. Just awful. Based on my experience this is a total deal breaker for me.

I also agree that touchscreens are safety hazard when they are a reach for the driver to find an icon. The screen should be locked while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 05-31-19, 08:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does bmw still charge for apple carplay? super stupid if so. does bmw have android auto?
Yes, BMW still charges a subscription fee to use CarPlay, and no, BMW does not offer Android Auto.
Old 05-31-19, 08:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Agreed.

I also can't believe Lexus continues to incorporate the touch pad. Just awful. Based on my experience this is a total deal breaker for me.

I also agree that touchscreens are safety hazard when they are a reach for the driver to find an icon. The screen should be locked while the vehicle is in motion.
If I recall, you've only sample the first generation RTI in your NX200t. 2018 revised with a much more fluid 2.0 version.
Old 05-31-19, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

but then tesla too not only doesn't offer AA/AC, it doesn't offer sirius xm on ANY model.
Old 05-31-19, 08:33 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

but then tesla too not only doesn't offer AA/AC, it doesn't offer sirius xm on ANY model.
Tesla OS is basically AA (not a fact), collecting heaps of data as you drive, while offering a connected ecosystem.
Old 05-31-19, 11:35 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Too far down and out of sight. Would be a worse hazard.
Did Lexus even offer a nav in 1990? I don't think it surfaced until later.
It’s better because it’s faster to operate. Yep sat nav in 1992 Toyota soarer.
Old 06-01-19, 06:02 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see the touchscreen come back and Android Auto being offered. Now reviewers can stop complaining.
Old 06-01-19, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

So i guess customers are now guests...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is the Toyota press release. ...

...Lexus Multimedia System now includes advanced in-dash technology to simplify a guest’s life, ...

... “We heard very positive feedback from our U.S. guests about their experience in the RX, and we worked to improve upon the success with key areas of focus.”

...Guests can now choose from Moonbeam Beige Metallic or Nori Green Pearl, a popular exterior color first used on the all-new Lexus UX.

...Guests can access the same familiar interface of their desired technologies through the RX’s standard 8-inch touchscreen dashboard display.

...Once connected, guests will enjoy music from apps such as Spotify® and Pandora®, ...

...For Apple CarPlay integration, guests can use their iPhone® through the Lexus RX’s touchscreen display.

...Through in-car integrations with voice services like Amazon Alexa, guests can access their preferred service and play music, check the news, control smart home devices and more.

...With the addition of a designated space to store smartphones near the front of the center console, guests can better utilize space to secure their personal items and still engage with the Lexus Multimedia System.

...Guests will have the option to choose between the standard 8-inch display and available 12.3-inch high-resolution, split-screen multimedia display.

...In addition to the interior colors offered for the RX F SPORT, guests can now bring the enthusiasm inside the cabin with Circuit Red bolstered seating with grey stitching on the seams.

...Guests will be able to be more engaged with the road at every turn.

Now standard on the RX 350L and 450hL, guests will find body-hugging NuLuxe seating and interior trim.
Old 06-01-19, 09:00 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome back to the 21st century lexus.
Old 06-01-19, 11:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

So i guess customers are now guests...
Um yeah... Its part of the Lexus Covenant

“Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our home”

Dealer personnel are supposed to say Guest because it is a warmer and more welcoming word than Customer
Old 06-01-19, 11:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

LOL! "Guests" at dealerships make sense. Fine, we are like family being welcomed there. But to use that word in a press release is very strange, foreign to the U.S. culture, and ultimately tacky. One cannot physically be a guest through a press memo. This is almost like the out of country phishing scams that come through as daily emails, where they are titled by saying, "...friend..." Lose credibility when I hear stuff like that.
Old 06-02-19, 03:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL! "Guests" at dealerships make sense. Fine, we are like family being welcomed there. But to use that word in a press release is very strange, foreign to the U.S. culture, and ultimately tacky. One cannot physically be a guest through a press memo. This is almost like the out of country phishing scams that come through as daily emails, where they are titled by saying, "...friend..." Lose credibility when I hear stuff like that.

As is often the case, I agree with Fizzboy. I couldn't care less if the place considers me a "guest'" or not as long as they do the service correctly, charge a fair price, or sell me a new/used vehicle with a minimum of hassles. I'm a firm believer in substance over style.
Old 06-02-19, 03:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Agreed.I also can't believe Lexus continues to incorporate the touch pad. Just awful. Based on my experience this is a total deal breaker for me.
Welcome to the world of automotive marketing.....which is often the personification of incompetence.
Old 06-02-19, 03:38 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

So the new touch screen appears in the RX before the LS? And thank goodness they didn't go with the small driver's screen and stupid horn ***** from the ES and LS. I know this is a minor refresh and not a major upgrade, but I wonder if that means they are abandoning that design going forward.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...