Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 12:57 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the rationale for having a display far away is to minimize the need for the driver's eyes to change focus (much) when glancing from the road to the screen. I have an old '69 Corvette with the speedo and tach set deep into the dash, and I'd heard this was the reason.
Old 06-03-19, 01:17 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I think the rationale for having a display far away is to minimize the need for the driver's eyes to change focus (much) when glancing from the road to the screen. I have an old '69 Corvette with the speedo and tach set deep into the dash, and I'd heard this was the reason.
That makes sense. Pics of 69 Vette? One of my favorite years.
Old 06-03-19, 02:38 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Old photo of my two favorite toys.

http://www.inventics.com/toys.jpg
Old 06-03-19, 03:28 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Very nice. I love the last few years of the chrome bumper Vettes.
Old 06-03-19, 03:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You know, I just noticed the start/stop button looks nicer on the new RX - it has a glossier finish. That's a nice touch that I wish they'd incorporate across more models.
Old 06-03-19, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You know, I just noticed the start/stop button looks nicer on the new RX - it has a glossier finish. That's a nice touch that I wish they'd incorporate across more models.
If I recall, there used to be a little green LED on older Lexus models.
Old 06-03-19, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
All the new cars have this new button.

I find it hilarious that people complain about the touchscreen, and complain about the lack of touchscreen. Can't win lol
Old 06-03-19, 07:23 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I think it is completely valid to question the placement of the touchscreen. I might have missed it on vehicles from other manufacturers, but I've never seen one that high and far away from the driver.
Old 06-03-19, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Its a touchscreen put into a refresh of a vehicle that wasn't designed to have a touchscreen...

Look at BMWs, they all have touchscreens in this location/reach. They're designed to be operated with iDrive, the touchscreens are just there for people who want a touchscreen.
Old 06-04-19, 12:29 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Touch screens should be placed at the centre of the steering wheel. And a tap to wake it up. The screen technology should be thin enough to not impact the deployment of the airbag. It should also be auto off when the driver is turning the steering.
Old 06-04-19, 01:31 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

Can't we just have a 7-way jog dial which adds both clockwise and counterclockwise dialling - control a huge head up display HUD?
That way, the driver doesn't have to take their eyes off the road.

PS
Please disregard this proposal.
Several hours later, I now realize why manufacturers do NOT directly remote touch the Head Up Display HUD.

It is because the HUD is ONLY visible from very narrow viewing angles.
The other four passengers have different viewing angles, so they will NOT be able to see a centrally mounted HUD.
Hence, usually only the driver can see the HUD; which is NOT visible by the other four passengers.
Thus, we still need a high mount LCD screen - which now has dual controls via both remote touch, and direct capacitive touch screen available in facelifted 2020 RX.

However, I still believe Lexus could improve their Infotainment System by moving from their 5-way joysticks/trackpads - to the 7-way rotary dials with clockwise and counterclockwise dialling used in BMW's, Benz, Audi and even Genesis etc.
When the rotary dial is used, the cursor would move one icon at a time, from left to right, and zig zag down from the top to bottom of the LCD screen - and this would make Lexus infotainment far easier to navigate.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-04-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 03:43 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a touchscreen put into a refresh of a vehicle that wasn't designed to have a touchscreen...

Look at BMWs, they all have touchscreens in this location/reach. They're designed to be operated with iDrive, the touchscreens are just there for people who want a touchscreen.
I wasn't aware that the BMW screen was a touch screen, so I stand corrected. But I still don't like that location, but I guess it is better than nothing for just a refresh. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate the touch screen into the LS's new interior. Looks like a similar sized screen, just sunk into the dash. Do you just make it a touch screen and leave it where it is or do they somehow rework the dash to move it. From the design, it doesn't look like they anticipated the market returning to touch screens.
Old 06-04-19, 05:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Regardless of all the comments here about screen location and touch screens, etc., this refresh will sell well.

i also wonder how toyota/lexus came around to finally putting android auto in this model after resisting it across the board for so long. And whether they’ll finally be putting it in the other ton of vehicles offered?
Old 06-04-19, 05:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i also wonder how toyota/lexus came around to finally putting android auto in this model after resisting it across the board for so long. And whether they’ll finally be putting it in the other ton of vehicles offered?
Hopefully we don’t hear the BS Toyota/Lexus defenders on this. Lexus made a big mistake and caved. It is interesting to note, only Lexus or Toyota in Canada or the US are offering CP/AA at this time. I am sure the older models will have an option to retroactively upgrade for a small fee.
Old 06-04-19, 05:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure the older models will have an option to retroactively upgrade for a small fee.
I highly doubt this, at all, for any models.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...