Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 05:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I highly doubt this, at all, for any models.
Lexus IS already doing this for LC and LS owners. You are also seeing it with Mazda and some of their models. Best selling RX? For sure.
Old 06-04-19, 08:28 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Regardless of all the comments here about screen location and touch screens, etc., this refresh will sell well.

i also wonder how toyota/lexus came around to finally putting android auto in this model after resisting it across the board for so long. And whether they’ll finally be putting it in the other ton of vehicles offered?
Toyota claimed that Apple and Google collected too much information if CarPlay and Android Auto were implemented and used. Those claims seemed to be backed up by other automakers (Porsche being one, if I remember).

When Apple CarPlay was implemented on Toyota's Entune 3.0 Display Audio system and Lexus' similar Enform Audio 2.0 Plus last year, Toyota said that they had come to an agreement with Apple as to what data would be collected by CarPlay; I assume that Toyota and Google have now come to an agreement as to what data would be collected by Android Auto. Apple and especially Google, have come under increasing scrutiny about their privacy policies and user data they collect and send back, so it makes sense that they are now more willing to negotiate with automakers as to what data the apps collect.

As to retrofitting Android Auto on older models that did not offer it, given that Android Auto also runs -- like Apple CarPlay -- on Entune 3.0 and Enform Audio 2.0, I assume that 2018 model year and newer models can be retrofitted.

The reason for this is software (and possibly hardware) compatibility. Versions of Toyota's and Lexus' infotainment systems prior to Entune 3.0 and Enform Audio 2.0 used a very robust but older Blackberry QNX operating system, whereas the newest infotainment systems use an Automotive Linux operating system; QNX would not support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto but Linux will. Older Toyota and Lexus models with the QNX-based operating system will not be retrofitted by Toyota.
Old 06-04-19, 09:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

great post!
Old 06-04-19, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting comments, I don't believe most of what Toyota is telling us.

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota claimed that Apple and Google collected too much information if CarPlay and Android Auto were implemented and used. Those claims seemed to be backed up by other automakers (Porsche being one, if I remember).
Toyota also signed on to Apple Car Play way back in 2013 or so. I

The reason for this is software (and possibly hardware) compatibility. Versions of Toyota's and Lexus' infotainment systems prior to Entune 3.0 and Enform Audio 2.0 used a very robust but older Blackberry QNX operating system, whereas the newest infotainment systems use an Automotive Linux operating system; QNX would not support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto but Linux will. Older Toyota and Lexus models with the QNX-based operating system will not be retrofitted by Toyota.
Blackberry QNX works with Apple Carplay. QNX technology is used in 120 million vehicles worldwide. They have doubled their install base in the last three years. Audi, BMW, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar Land Rover, KIA, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, and Volkswagen all use it.

great post!
Toyota is full of it. They just did not want to do it as they were being cheap. The same cars in Japan or Australia are not available with Apple Car Play, but they use the same software in Corolla or ES and RAV

Older Toyota and Lexus models with the QNX-based operating system will not be retrofitted by Toyota.
Let's think this through. A major corporation such as Toyota, who signed on to Apple Car Play back in 2013 or so, did not have the forward thinking ability to build in the backdoor way of adding or retrofitting Apple Car or Android Auto to their most popular cars. That is absurd.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 11:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Let's think this through. A major corporation such as Toyota, who signed on to Apple Car Play back in 2013 or so, did not have the forward thinking ability to build in the backdoor way of adding or retrofitting Apple Car or Android Auto to their most popular cars. That is absurd.
Let's think this through. A major corporation knew some cars (2018) but not all cars ('14, '15..) would not get a retrofit... hence the consumer must BUY a new car... that is genius.
Old 06-04-19, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

... Toyota is full of it. They just did not want to do it as they were being cheap. ...
great post too!
Old 06-04-19, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Let's think this through. A major corporation knew some cars (2018) but not all cars ('14, '15..) would not get a retrofit... hence the consumer must BUY a new car... that is genius.
Yet a little company like Mazda does a retrofit upgrade of both software and hardware to their cars/suvs dating back to 2014. Toyota buyers are not going to upgrade their car for CP/AA.

that is genius.
Toyota is already charging 2018 LC or LS owners for the upgrade. Same with Madza.
Old 06-04-19, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Yet a little company like Mazda does a retrofit upgrade of both software and hardware to their cars/suvs dating back to 2014. Toyota buyers are not going to upgrade their car for CP/AA.
Mazda is small, always needs something to bring someone into the showroom or get their name out vs Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

Toyota is already charging 2018 LC or LS owners for the upgrade. Same with Madza.
It's an option to upgrade. And if you own a LC or LS you have an average house-hold income over over $250,000. You're probably going to buy it.
Old 06-04-19, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Mazda is small, always needs something to bring someone into the showroom or get their name out vs Toyota, Honda, Nissan.

It's an option to upgrade. And if you own a LC or LS you have an average house-hold income over over $250,000. You're probably going to buy it.
You really like to defend Toyota and their Car Play decision, I do not understand why? Toyota is now offering retrofit upgrades to the Sienna and Camry for 2018 MY. So jot sure what the $250K income has to do with anything.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 12:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

You really like to defend Toyota and their Car Play decision, I do not understand why? Toyota is now offering retrofit upgrades to the Sienna and Camry for 2018 MY. So jot sure what the $250K income has to do with anything.
it was already explained to you that those vehicles have new system that they can upgrade, while old system they cant... Mazda can upgrade old system too, most manufacturers can not.
Old 06-04-19, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it was already explained to you that those vehicles have new system that they can upgrade, while old system they cant... Mazda can upgrade old system too, most manufacturers can not.
Are we supposed to believe that? LOL People need to call out Toyota for once. If Mazda can software and hardware retrofit their cars dating back to 2014 and Toyota cannot, then we must believe that only Toyota Certified Technicians can service Toyota cars. Absurd.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 12:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Are we supposed to believe that? LOL Call out Toyota for once. If Mazda can software and hardware retrofit their cars dating back to 2014 and Toyota cannot, then we must believe that only Toyota Certified Technicians can service Toyota cars. Absurd.
While Sulu offered the technical aspect, lets just chalk in Volume and business case 101. If I can sell old tech in great enough number, why even bother retrofitting. Props to Mazda for offerin it, but Lexus could care less of those sold units, as their is no obligation to explore whether QNX could be retrofitted. (Thankfully there are aftermarket options currently used in the 16-19 with wireless CP/AA etc)
Old 06-04-19, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Props to Mazda for offerin it,

Lexus could care less of those sold units,
Or they could care and thus maybe they will offer it at some point. Time will tell.

explore whether QNX could be retrofitted
QNX is not the problem. QNX is compatible with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.
Old 06-04-19, 12:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Or they could care and thus maybe they will offer it at some point. Time will tell.
I wouldnt hold my breath on the later. Without any sort of CP/AA the RX has led the pack in sales..
Old 06-04-19, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Without any sort of CP/AA the RX has led the pack in sales..
Agreed. However Lexus did add it afterall to the 2020 model.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...