Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You really like to defend Toyota and their Car Play decision, I do not understand why? Toyota is now offering retrofit upgrades to the Sienna and Camry for 2018 MY. So jot sure what the $250K income has to do with anything.
You really like to defend Cadillac, what's your point. I explained it's a business decision. If you as a potential consumer don't like it well, then by all means go get a GM you always glow about, even though you have 4 ToMoCo cars. The income bit points out that money is no issue and if you make an option people will likely buy it.
Old 06-04-19, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You really like to defend Cadillac, what's your point. I explained it's a business decision. If you as a potential consumer don't like it well, then by all means go get a GM you always glow about, even though you have 4 ToMoCo cars. The income bit points out that money is no issue and if you make an option people will likely buy it.
I was not trying to be nasty, so I do apologize. I get that you work for Lexus. I just don't believe Toyota can't make a retroactive upgrade possible. I get it that the older software might not be able to support it, but a software upgrade/tweak and hardware mod being out of the question from one the largest automakers is just hard to believe. A business decision? yes I agree, but not a technical limitation. Anyways, Leafs over the Sharks, Raptors greater than the Warriors...Hope all is good.
Old 06-04-19, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I was not trying to be nasty, so I do apologize. I get that you work for Lexus. I just don't believe Toyota can't make a retroactive upgrade possible. I get it that the older software might not be able to support it, but a software upgrade/tweak and hardware mod being out of the question from one the largest automakers is just hard to believe. A business decision? yes I agree, but not a technical limitation. Anyways, Leafs over the Sharks, Raptors greater than the Warriors...Hope all is good.

Sharks went farther than Leafs. And it's 1-1 plenty of games left. Warriors in 6
Old 06-04-19, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Hopefully we don’t hear the BS Toyota/Lexus defenders on this. Lexus made a big mistake and caved.
Do you mean the touchscreen or CP/AA?

If the touchscreen, its a mistake every carmaker pretty much made.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-04-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hopefully we don’t hear the BS Toyota/Lexus defenders on this. Lexus made a big mistake and caved.
Do you mean the touchscreen or CP/AA?

If the touchscreen, its a mistake every carmaker pretty much made.
Referring to CP/AA.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-04-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Are we supposed to believe that? LOL People need to call out Toyota for once. If Mazda can software and hardware retrofit their cars dating back to 2014 and Toyota cannot, then we must believe that only Toyota Certified Technicians can service Toyota cars. Absurd.
Apparently technology is magic, and anyone can do whatever they want. As to what you are supposed to believe, i have no idea - you had some pretty strange beliefs when it comes to cars in past, like that big thread about plastic separator between window switches so I am definetly not telling you what to believe - do your thing.
Old 06-04-19, 07:01 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
On the old ones it's definitely forward, closer to the windshield to be closer to the driver's field of vision for driving.

New one is much closer, near the edge of the center stack

I'm amazed how long lexus held out for putting back the touchscreen, especially since everyone had smart phones.

Imagine if we all went back to palm phones with that scroll ball clicker.

I'm sitting here at my desk and testing what difference it makes pushing an lcd screen back and forth a few inches, and my peripheral vision stays the same.

So I'd rather have a closer screen and touchscreen.

That line-of-sight driver FOV argument is bunk, because any screen position along the center of the dashboard is gonna take your focus off the road. You just can't push the screen far away enough for it to matter.

The only optimal position is the headsup display position.
Old 06-04-19, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm amazed how long lexus held out for putting back the touchscreen, especially since everyone had smart phones.

Imagine if we all went back to palm phones with that scroll ball clicker.

I'm sitting here at my desk and testing what difference it makes pushing an lcd screen back and forth a few inches, and my peripheral vision stays the same.

So I'd rather have a closer screen and touchscreen.

That line-of-sight driver FOV argument is bunk, because any screen position along the center of the dashboard is gonna take your focus off the road. You just can't push the screen far away enough for it to matter.

The only optimal position is the headsup display position.
Some great points I think the new RX set up is the best of both worlds. Kinda glad the RX settles the argument of RTI or touch screen.
Old 06-05-19, 02:15 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

As a present 2017 RX350 owner, I'm very disappointed that Toyco hasn't moved to the new TNGA platform like the Highlander has. Our lease will be up next summer, and while my wife loves her RX, I'm inclined not to get another similar vehicle with minimal changes. If they don't update to TNGA, I'll be looking at the Model Y or an X3 instead. Boggles my mind why Toyco gets the update first over Lexus' best seller and bread and butter SUV.
Old 06-05-19, 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Boggles my mind why Toyco gets the update first over Lexus' best seller and bread and butter SUV.
not at all... highlander sells in WAAAAAY bigger numbers for one thing and it's a very competitive area especially with new palisade and telluride weighing in. the rx does and will continue to sell well because rx customers have no idea what tnga is or benefits, etc. and heck, if you think the rx is old, what about the gx and lx.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-05-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not at all... highlander sells in WAAAAAY bigger numbers for one thing and it's a very competitive area especially with new palisade and telluride weighing in. the rx does and will continue to sell well because rx customers have no idea what tnga is or benefits, etc. and heck, if you think the rx is old, what about the gx and lx.
There used to be a time when Toyota was very good and getting their Toyota/Lexus versions updated at the same time. Seems they have founds ways to not do this as much in most recent years.

with new palisade and telluride weighing in.
Haha...Nice Hyundai plug....but Highlander did not lose any sales in the current month.
Old 06-05-19, 04:30 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Didn't they stop making the gx and lx back in 1922?! :X

Guess we will get rid of our last Lexus in the stable
Old 06-05-19, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

The current RX generation has only been out since 2016, the outgoing Highlander was older. Makes perfect sense that Lexus didn't just junk this generation of the RX after 3 years.
Old 06-05-19, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Haha...Nice Hyundai plug....but Highlander did not lose any sales in the current month.
Wasn’t intended as a plug, they’re just two recent introductions into the highlander space. I expect the 2020 explorer to make a big dent too.
Old 06-06-19, 07:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Often, big Japanese corporations run and make decisions in isolation and they believe they know what customers want better than the customers themselves. Thats why they failed during the mobile revolution, Sony is hanging on by a thread. Camera makers still believe that people should physically remove a SD card and then plug it into a computer and then do whatever they need to do or hook up a stupid wire or clunky bluetooth or wifi.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...