Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
And here is Motorweek starring John Davis 42 years ago:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7EmXT-Sf4

Thanks. Yep, makes me wonder if John is ever going to take his well-earned retirement...he just goes on and on like the Energizer Bunny.

In that video, when John did that review of the Citation, it was not fully-known, at that point, just how poorly-built the car was, and how unreliable it was going to be (ask me how I know LOL) . In fact, GM later admitted that it loaned specially-built/specially-honed X-Body compacts to the auto-press, for testing, that were not comparable with regular production models. Car and Driver magazine published an article where they rescinded some of the former accolades they had given the car, and apologized to their readers. After record sales of almost a million the first year (can you just imagine that today?), the X-body cars were history a scant five years later.
Old 10-10-20, 09:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whether we deem them "acceptable" or not is of little consequence at this point. Get used to it. Smaller ICEs are coming, whether we want them or not....unless you go wth a full-electric or hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle.
Toyota did not decrease their ICE sizes..new Corolla actually gained in displacement and horsepower...the excellent 2.0I4 in the Corolla is all-new (and I think class-leading)...and the RAV4 stayed the same displacement while gaining a whopping 45 more HP....I don't think any other manufacture offers a I4 with 200+ horsepower without a turbo....TOYOTA does.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-10-20, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota did not decrease their ICE sizes..new Corolla actually gained in displacement and horsepower...the excellent 2.0I4 in the Corolla is all-new (and I think class-leading)...and the RAV4 stayed the same displacement while gaining a whopping 45 more HP....I don't think any other manufacture offers a I4 with 200+ horsepower without a turbo....TOYOTA does.

My point is that eights are becoming sixes/turbo-sixes, sixes are becoming fours/turbo fours, and fours are becoming turbo-threes. That is not just me talking....it is a distinct pattern. Not one I necessarily want to see, either, but, thanks to a number of different factors, we are generally stuck with it.
Old 10-11-20, 05:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My point is that eights are becoming sixes/turbo-sixes, sixes are becoming fours/turbo fours, and fours are becoming turbo-threes. That is not just me talking....it is a distinct pattern. Not one I necessarily want to see, either, but, thanks to a number of different factors, we are generally stuck with it.
Lets give Toyota some credit as they have not downsized their engines and have not adopted turbo.....It really is great to see the new 2.0 and 2.5 dynamic force motors which appear to be in a class all to themselves...
Old 10-11-20, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Lets give Toyota some credit as they have not downsized their engines and have not adopted turbo....
They have done so for some Lexus products. And you can bet the monthly rent that it's coming for some Toyota products, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-11-20, 11:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Toyota has downsized some of theirs. The Highlander Hybrid went from a V6 to a 4 cylinder and the Sienna went from a standard V6 to a hybrid 4 cylinder.
Old 10-15-20, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to topic, this is not a very good review, and was just posted on You-Tube yesterday (I've seen better narrators). But it's the only one I've seen on video that is done in the Burnished-Bronze-Metallic color I ordered, except that mine has the two-tone white/ivory interior...this one is monotone.

Old 10-16-20, 08:00 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Motor Trend was not impressed with the Encore GX.

Pros

• Youthful ST exterior
  • Snappy infotainment system
  • Smartly designed interior space

Cons

• Gutless three-cylinder engine
  • Jiggly ride quality
  • Overall value proposition
Buick hopes its new-for-2020 Encore GX will take market share from its competition, which includes the Honda HR-V and Jeep Compass. That's a tough segment—the largest and most competitive in the Ultimate Car Rankings section of our Buyer's Guide, in fact. So what does the 2020 Buick Encore GX bring to this packed party?

The Encore GX and platform-sharing Chevrolet Trailblazer mark the debut of GM's all-new Vehicle Strategy Set (VSS) for small, front-drive-based SUVs, a global parts-sharing, cost-saving architecture. The North American models of both will be built in South Korea.

The Trailblazer and Encore GX come with two new turbocharged inline-three engines that displace 1.2 and 1.3 liters, respectively. Encore GX entry-level pricing starts at $25,095 for a front-drive model powered by a 137-hp 1.2-liter turbo and a CVT that GM developed in-house (for 1.2- and 1.3-liter front-drive models). All-wheel drive is only available with the 155-hp 1.3-liter turbocharged I-3 and nine-speed automatic transmission. The latter is how our test vehicle came equipped, along with the $650 Sport Touring (ST) package, which adds more aggressive styling cues, including body-colored bumpers and spoiler, red accents, and 18-inch aluminum wheels.

Physically, the GX offers more Encore to love; it's 3.0 inches longer, 1.3 wider, and 1.1 shorter than its older, smaller brother Encore, and it's size-competitive with crossovers such as the Jeep Compass. The additional room allows for neat tricks, including a fold-flat front seat that creates space for objects up to eight feet long. Buick has positioned the Encore GX to be tech-forward, so options include an 8.0-inch color infotainment screen, wireless charging, and, of course, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa.

Sounds pretty compelling on paper—until you read some of the notes submitted by our judges.

"After getting inside the Encore GX, I still couldn't tell you what it stands for," Buyer's Guide director Zach Gale said. "I love the monochrome treatment and red details of the ST, but the three-cylinder engine kills it for me. At idle and through the pedal itself you hear and feel the engine. At least it gets 30 mpg—oh wait, nope."

GM's three-cylinder powertrain strategy, which Buick seems to be hiding in its PR and marketing literature (just try to find the cylinder count), bore the brunt of our editors' ire—as the fuel efficiency for performance trade-off didn't seem worth it. Ride quality was also an issue, especially against the value proposition presented by its Seoul brother.

"Buick has some nerve charging thousands of dollars more for this than the Chevrolet Trailblazer, especially when the Encore GX is louder inside, rides worse, and shares a bunch of the same interior parts," features editor Scott Evans said. "If anyone dares cross-shop this with the Chevy, they're not going to see any reason to pay more."

Features editor Christian Seabaugh found the Encore GX's offering similarly lacking against the competitive set. "It seems priced to take advantage of those who don't know any better," he said. "Take the $1,790 Advanced Technology package; it includes a head-up display, adaptive cruise control, and navigation. The $29,300 Mazda CX-30 with the Premium package has all of that included. The end result of all this nickel and diming is a $36,620 SUV that feels like a $30,000 SUV inside and drives like a $20,000 one."

Although MotorTrend en Español managing editor Miguel Cortina found things to love about the interior design ("a step above") and infotainment system ("modern, fast, and super easy to use"), in the end, the Encore GX was simply not enough.

"A good way to sum up the Buick Encore GX is to say 'it's not terrible and it's not wonderful; it just sort of is,' " said senior features editor Jonny Lieberman. "Although it certainly isn't a Buick."
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/buic...s-cons-review/
Old 10-16-20, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

After reading this recap It sounds like in MT's eyes the Encore may be out of the running for their COTY award.
Old 10-17-20, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
After reading this recap It sounds like in MT's eyes the Encore may be out of the running for their COTY award.
It would be quite astonishing if MotorTrend gave a 3-cylinder the Car of the Year award to the Encore
Old 10-17-20, 07:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It would be quite astonishing if MotorTrend gave a 3-cylinder the Car of the Year award to the Encore
The negativity of the judges was kind of surprising.
Old 10-17-20, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The MT Encore GX review was more negative than most. Most of the reviews I've seen, both in print and on video, have been quite favorable (as my own impression was), short of the three-cylinder power plant. I agree, though, that the Encore is probably not as deserving as the Trailblazer, which has had a much greater impact on the small crossover industry, and is currently almost impossible to get from supply and demand. I personally, though, think the Encore is much better-looking inside and out than the Trailblazer, particularly in the front end.

At least it gets 30 mpg—oh wait, nope."
^^^ Nope, my a**. This is nonsense on the judges' part....and where they blew it. I'd bet the monthly rent that, on the Interstates, I could easily get 30+ plus MPG, from either of the Encore GX's powerplants or transmissions, FWD or AWD. I can get 30 on the highway from my Lacrosse and its much larger V6 and 9-speed, driven moderately.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 08:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The MT Encore GX review was more negative than most. Most of the reviews I've seen, both in print and on video, have been quite favorable (as my own impression was) short of the three-cylinder power plant. I agree, though, that the Encore is probably not as deserving as the Trailblazer, which has had a much greater impact on the small crossover industry, and is currently almost impossible to get from supply and demand. I personally, though, think the Encore is much better-looking inside and out than the Trailblazer, particularly in the front end.
Consumer reports gave it a 63

They pretty mean about the engine.

The problem with the Buick is the 3-cylinder. Toyota has a whopping 49 more horses for the naturally aspirated Rav4 and the Rav4 is far more fuel efficient.
Old 10-17-20, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

If this vehicle had a decent engine it would be a lot more appealing...
Old 10-17-20, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If this vehicle had a decent engine it would be a lot more appealing...
Oh, no doubt. But, if the Pacifica had better reliability, it would also be more appealing....yet your wife still loves them. That just shows that no vehicle is perfect...you're always going to find something you don't like. Even with the big Buicks of decades ago I'm so fond of, I didn't care for their lousy paint-quality or lack of engine-instrumentation. I haven't seen a prefect vehicle yet....although the LS430 and the last LS460 probably came close.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX