Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 10:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mentioned the CX-5. I haven't seen the latest 2020/2021 versions, but, the last one I sampled, several years ago (and did a review on), had an annoying red/blue idiot-light system for the engine-coolant-temperature instead of (IMO) a proper gauge. That's a deal-breaker for me....no gauge, no sale. I'm a firm believer in knowing what's going on under the hood before things get out of hand.
t.
That is on odd deal breaker.....a red light sort of serves the same purpose.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-17-20 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is on odd deal breaker.....a red light sort of serves the same purpose.
Technically, no, it does not. A red light typically comes on in one of two scenarios....when oil-pressure has already dropped to around 5 PSi and/or when coolant temperature reaches overheat-limits...both of which can harm, if not ruin the engine. A conventional gauge/needle allows you to watch patterns of temperature or oil-pressure, so you are given advance-notice that something could be amiss.

That is how I caught the cooling-fan failure on my Outback, which had conventional analog gauges and needles for the engine. I noticed a distinct upward tick on the needle, which was very unusual to see in normal driving. The engine was definitely running much warmer than normal, though it stayed in the safe zone until I could get it to the Subaru dealership (warranty work). Turned out one of the two electric two cooling-fans had failed...one is for the radiator, an additional one for the A/C when it's on. A red idiot-light might not have come on, or, if it did, come on too late and allowed the engine to get too warm. My brother had exactly the same experience on his former Impreza, when it needed a new thermostat for the cooling system. The analog-gauge gave advance-warning of engine temperature creeping up or being unsteady, which red lights don't show. In his case, it actually worked twice...the new thermostat they installed was also defective, and they had to put in yet a third one.
Old 10-17-20, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Somehow people are driving around in millions of cars without oil pressure gauges and their engines aren't exploding left and right.
Old 10-17-20, 02:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Somehow people are driving around in millions of cars without oil pressure gauges and their engines aren't exploding left and right.
Yes, it's a miracle.
Old 10-17-20, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That only shows that today's engines are reasonably reliable. But it does not prove that an idiot light beats a gauge....that's going to be a pretty hard sell.

Face it....most automakers use lights because they are cheaper. But there are exceptions. GM's premium-panel, for instance, used in both Chevys, Buicks, and GMCs, has both analog, electronic analog-type, and back-up warning-lights for each function to boot. Not cheap, but effective. You have gauges for speedo, tach, fuel, coolant-temperature, voltmeter, and oil-temperature, a backup lights for all of that plus oil-pressure.

Old 10-17-20, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That only shows that today's engines are reasonably reliable. But it does not prove that an idiot light beats a gauge....that's going to be a pretty hard sell.

Face it....most automakers use lights because they are cheaper. But there are exceptions. GM's premium-panel, for instance, used in both Chevys, Buicks, and GMCs, has both analog, electronic analog-type, and back-up warning-lights for each function to boot. Not cheap, but effective. You have gauges for speedo, tach, fuel, coolant-temperature, voltmeter, and oil-temperature, a backup lights for all of that plus oil-pressure.

I think you are going overboard on the gauge. I have cars with the gauge and without...combined 450,000 on the four, it’s not something to worry about. But if it is a deal breaker for you, so be it. Get a car with a gauge.
Old 10-17-20, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are going overboard on the gauge. I have cars with the gauge and without...combined 450,000 on the four, it’s not something to worry about. But if it is a deal breaker for you, so be it. Get a car with a gauge.
I respect your view, but I just don't feel comfortable with no advance warning except lights that don't come on until the coolant temperature is already too high or the oil pressure too low....or the battery too drained.

You will notice that most pickups (and some sports cars) have panels/gauges that look more or less like this. That is because the people who drive them simply won't put up with warning-lights....and the manufacturers know it.

Also notice the speedometer...10-MPH increments in the marking instead of 20-MPH. Makes it a lot easier to read at a glance. When I first learned to drive, all vehicles were like that.....I don't know why the manufacturers started the 0, 20, 40, 60, etc.....stuff.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-20 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic (the GX), here's a brand-new review (just posted today) that very-well sums-up the reason why this vehicle is so attractive in the premium-subcompact-crossover market. It is one of the more accurate ones that I have seen on the vehicle, though not as detailed as those of Alex Dykes.

https://lacar.com/vehicle-review-2020-buick-encore-gx/

Vehicle Review: 2020 Buick Encore GX

11 by Glenn Oyoung
OCTOBER 17, 2020

0 SHARE11VIEWS

The new Buick Encore is perfect for someone looking to downsize from a large SUV, while retaining all the bells and whistles you need.

The overall styling says isn’t flashy, but at night the Encore looks very dapper indeed.Talk to any commercial real estate agent, and they will tell you that the hottest property during the pandemic has been smaller warehouses. One agent I know said to me that she was recently blown away by the demand for her listing in the San Gabriel Valley. She had over a dozen applicants, all of whom battled to pay the full asking price to move in immediately. The reason? They were all downsizing from massive warehouses they no longer needed.

In many respects, the compact utility vehicle (CUV) is the vehicular equivalent to those starter warehouses. CUVs have been on a tear over the last few years in terms of market share, and there is no let-up in sight, pandemic notwithstanding.

We Americans like our space — or at least the illusion of space that towering over mere compact cars provides. Besides the higher ride height that we all crave, CUVs offer more cargo room to accommodate the occasional adventure, all while going easier on our wallets in the fuel department. If there were an ETF for CUVs, I would be all in.

The Encore GX boasts plenty of versatility. Photo by Buick.If you follow General Motors, you know that Chevrolet’s new Trailblazer is selling like hotcakes (perhaps Lakers facemasks is a better analogy for the time) and making waves in the CUV market. As I covered in my review this summer, the Trailblazer checks all the requisite CUV boxes and does so with flair thanks to its eye-catching, sporty design.

I had the chance to see the reveal of the Buick Encore GX at the LA Auto Show last year, which is GM’s luxury marquee’s answer for well-heeled buyers looking for a more refined experience. After a week in the Encore GX, I’d say the General’s time-tested badge engineering strategy will pay off — not just in the U.S. but internationally (read: China, where the Buick brand is as strong as Rolex.)

Exterior: Compact Package, Big Style

2020 Buick Encore GXThe Trailblazer is literally edgy and looks like a cross between a Camaro and a Mini Cooper (and I mean that as a compliment.) The Encore GX, like the rest of the Buick line-up, is geared towards older buyers who don’t necessarily want or need to stand out during their comings and goings. #normcore is in for the Encore buyer, and the GX aims to deliver just the right balance of attitude and refinement. The potential buyer who wants to fall more on that balance’s attitude side might be drawn to the Encore GX ST – replete with red trim — to show people that this CPA means business on the dance floor.

My loaner was the top-of-the-line Essence trim, which came in around $33K as tested. The exterior differences from the Essence and base Preferred trim 18″ two-tone aluminum alloy wheels, chrome trim, and roof rails.

Overall there’s not much to find lacking in the Encore GX’s design. It doesn’t stand out as radical in any way, and it looks pretty badass at night in black. If an older, wiser, more chilled out Bruce Wayne had a daily driver (I mean a real daily, not a Lambo), it might be an Encore GX.

Interior: Welcome to the Club

The interior gets you solid comfort for the price. If you’re comparing the Buick Encore against mainstream CUVs (think Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc.), you’ll feel like it’s doing a fine job of providing comfort and technology. If you’re comparing it against luxury competitors of the European ilk, you may find it wanting. In the latter scenario, I’d politely remind you that that group of competitors will cost you considerably more.

Commuting daily between the SGV and the SFV, the Encore GX was well-suited to my needs: a quiet, comfortable space to unwind on my way to work. Those of you with young kids know what I’m talking about. The minute you hear the weighty “clunk” of the door, you are at peace. No 15-minute Zoom roll calls. No “Brady, turn on your camera, please!” It’s just you and your quiet space.

The 2020 Encore GX features a heads-up display. My quiet space didn’t remain quiet for long. The Encore GX’s Buick Infotainment enables you to play the right soundtrack for your commute. I enjoyed a week of 80s jams thanks to the available SiriusXM. Our tester came with optional navigation, an 8-inch touchscreen display, and the all-important Apple CarPlay and Android Auto paired with wireless charging (score!) All were easy to use, though I wish the Encore had space for a more prominent display. There was a time when an 8-inch display was huge; it now feels like an iPhone 1 screen.

The Encore also features OnStar and a mobile 4G LTE wi-fi hotspot. I particularly appreciate the heads-up display and HD surround vision camera, which made parking a breeze. Lately, my daily has been a slammed Audi A4 Avant. My lower back yearned for the softer, quieter, infinitely interior of the Encore GX and the supportive 10-way power driver’s seat. Back in the day, I saved up for lowering springs. Now the first thing I look for is lumbar support.

Key Performance Indicators: MPG and CU. FT.

It’s been a while since GM offered a three-cylinder engine Stateside, but fuel efficiency standards made the case to do so. Our loaner came with the three-cylinder 1.3-liter turbo, rated for a combined 31 MPG.

While you’re most definitely not going to win any drag races, the Buick Encore has enough pep for the average commute assuming your driving style doesn’t lean heavily on passing. I felt the Encore felt a bit floaty on heavy acceleration, perhaps attributable to its short wheelbase and some mild turbo lag. Nothing lowering springs wouldn’t solve, for the record. The Encore is equipped with a host of driver assistance tech, including auto emergency braking, forward collision alert, and lane-keep assist with lane departure alert.

Cargo space is aplenty in the Encore GX.While the Encore feels small, it offers a whopping 50 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. Like the Trailblazer, the Encore can fit a surfboard or a rolled-up carpet with the 40/60 split-bench rear seats and the front passenger seat folded down. When the first-generation Honda Fit came out, they called these Magic Seats. We call it the key to saving money on fuel while doing Home Depot runs. The hands-free liftgate option is one of my favorite features on GM CUVs. It came in handy on a daily basis.

Like its corporate cousin, the Trailblazer, the Encore punches above its weight class in interior comfort, tech, and cargo capacity. The Encore will undoubtedly appeal to well-heeled drivers who want to commute in comfort and folks looking to downsize from full-size SUVs while retaining all the bells and whistles and cargo-hauling capability they are used to.

For more information, visit Buick’s website.

2020 Buick Encore GX Essence – FWD

Performance

Engine: 1.3L turbo

MPG: 30 MPG city / 32 MPG highway / 31 MPG overall
Horsepower
(hp / kW @ rpm):155 hp @ 5,600 rpmTorque
(/ Nm @ rpm):174 lb.-ft. @ 1,600 rpmWheels: 18″ machined aluminum with painted pockets

Entertainment

Buick Infotainment System with 8″ diagonal touchscreen display and navigation, SiriusXM, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto

Driver information center with 4.2″ diagonal color display

OnStar and available 4G LTE wi-fi

Front USB A & C ports, Rear USB A & C ports

120-volt power outlet

Wireless Charging

Interior

10-way adjustable power driver’s seat with lumbar support

8-way adjustable power passenger seat with lumbar support

40/60 split-bench rear folding seats

Heated steering wheel

Safety

Advanced Technology Package including HD Surround Vision Camera, HUD, Adaptive Cruise Control Camera

Automatic Parking Assist with Braking

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-17-20 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just see no issue here with the gauges. Its certainly not something I would buy one car over the other, and certainly not something that would cause me to accept a car with a 3 cyl engine because of
Old 10-17-20, 08:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just see no issue here with the gauges. Its certainly not something I would buy one car over the other, and certainly not something that would cause me to accept a car with a 3 cyl engine because of
Apples and oranges. Come on, Steve. You know me better than that. The engine had nothing to do with it. My opinion of gauges and idiot-lights is not determined by what is under the hood.
Old 10-17-20, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You miss my point. You said you wouldnt buy a CX-5 simply because it didnt have a engine temp gauge.
Old 10-17-20, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You miss my point. You said you wouldnt buy a CX-5 simply because it didnt have a engine temp gauge.

Correct. The engine itself didn't have anything to do with it. I just didn't like the CX-5's dual red/blue temperature-lights. Some Subarus also currently have the same set-up.

We all have our deal-breakers.....you yourself listed some in your S-Class/A8/750/LS comparisons. And....on some of the ones you stated on the new LS500, I agreed with you. I also agreed the S-560 was too expensive.
Old 10-18-20, 06:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

You mentioned the CX-5. I haven't seen the latest 2020/2021 versions, but, the last one I sampled, several years ago (and did a review on), had an annoying red/blue idiot-light system for the engine-coolant-temperature instead of (IMO) a proper gauge. That's a deal-breaker for me....no gauge, no sale. I'm a firm believer in knowing what's going on under the hood before things get out of hand.
Perhaps your aviation background makes you want gauges and actually look at them but i don't remember the last time i looked at a temp gauge. i'd bet almost NO ONE looks at them. They would only look at them if a light or buzzer goes off, which as you say, at that point, could be too late, but probably not. Light comes on, pull over, get car fixed. Not hard.

sure getting rid of gauges saves an automaker money, but there's also no point in putting gauges in a vehicle which almost no one looks at. But glad there's cars out there with the controls you want.
Old 10-18-20, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct. The engine itself didn't have anything to do with it. I just didn't like the CX-5's dual red/blue temperature-lights. Some Subarus also currently have the same set-up.

We all have our deal-breakers.....you yourself listed some in your S-Class/A8/750/LS comparisons. And....on some of the ones you stated on the new LS500, I agreed with you. I also agreed the S-560 was too expensive.
I don't see how the ride and drive profile of a car, the space of a car, or the cost of a car are equal to whether or not it has one gauge that 99.9/100 is never going to display anything to you. There's having deal-breakers, and then there's obsessing over small minutiae, If a car you liked didnt have a temp gauge, you would buy it. Its one thing to prefer to have a gauge vs saying you would NEVER buy a car without one. We've heard lots of NEVERs from you that have come to pass.

For instance, you have railed against e-shifters...yet you drive a car with one. You have railed in an epic way about the demise of sedans and the movement towards crossovers, yet you have a crossover on order. Not a lot of credibility about these "deal breakers" lol

As cars become more and more computerized, they will have less readouts like this as the computers rely less on human perception to diagnose issues. The engine temp gauge will go the way of the battery gauge and the oil pressure gauge, which you never see on a car today.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Perhaps your aviation background makes you want gauges and actually look at them but i don't remember the last time i looked at a temp gauge. i'd bet almost NO ONE looks at them. They would only look at them if a light or buzzer goes off, which as you say, at that point, could be too late, but probably not. Light comes on, pull over, get car fixed. Not hard.

sure getting rid of gauges saves an automaker money, but there's also no point in putting gauges in a vehicle which almost no one looks at. But glad there's cars out there with the controls you want.
Exactly. Its a non issue. The car's computer knows when something is wrong, and it will alert you.
Old 12-22-20, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Holy Cow. This guy was enamored enough with the Encore GX to make a 37-minute video at the Chicago auto show....that's longer than even Alex's typical reviews. He goes right down to the paint itself with the camera.

In some ways, he sounds like a salesman, but doesn't look like one. He likes it better than any other small crossover, though. He kept comparing its features to an 80K Infiniti.

YouTube has, in the last couple of days, disabled comments on all of its videos, but he did tell us which show it was....Chicago. I knew it wasn't the last D.C. show, because Buick didn't have any GXs out on the floor....only up on the turntable. Chevy, in contrast, right across the top-floor aisle from Buick where its displays usually are, had two Trailblazers out on the floor, unlocked (and you can bet I checked both of them out)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-20 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX