Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 09:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just fyi mmarshall, on the CX-5 you mentioned, the red/blue temp gauge functions as follows: blue = cold, off = operating temps, red = hotter than average, flashing red = overheating. So while it may not have been as visually accurate as a temp gauge that shows the full range of temps from cold to hot, it would serve the purpose of giving the driver adequate warning before the engine actually overheats.

Newer models do have the more typical engine coolant temperature gauge that you're used to. It can be found as one of the display options in the MID (Multi-Information Display) in the instrument cluster.

Back to the GX and the review you posted.. the reviewer was comparing the GX to the QX80? In what ways? Apologies as I haven't had the time to view the video.
Old 12-23-20, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Just fyi mmarshall, on the CX-5 you mentioned, the red/blue temp gauge functions as follows: blue = cold, off = operating temps, red = hotter than average, flashing red = overheating. So while it may not have been as visually accurate as a temp gauge that shows the full range of temps from cold to hot, it would serve the purpose of giving the driver adequate warning before the engine actually overheats.

Newer models do have the more typical engine coolant temperature gauge that you're used to. It can be found as one of the display options in the MID (Multi-Information Display) in the instrument cluster.
I understand what you're saying...and I like the idea of the red-vs. flashing red, which I have not seen before. But, still, a short or burned-out bulb could ultimately cost you your engine.....given a choice, I still prefer needle-gauges...or, at least, an analog-style electronic gauge. The Encore GX has a mixture of both...plus bar-graph fuel and temperature-gauges.

Back to the GX and the review you posted.. the reviewer was comparing the GX to the QX80? In what ways? Apologies as I haven't had the time to view the video.
No problem...you'd have to budget some time to see the whole thing.....and some of it is boring and repetitious.

Basically, in part of the video, he was comparing what he saw at the auto show between what an Infiniti QX80 was offering, for some 80K, compared to the Encore GX at 25-35K. And there were even some GX features (according to him) that the QX80 did not offer at all.
Old 12-23-20, 01:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

A shorted out gauge could cost you your engine too.
Old 12-23-20, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The thing about over heating engines is that there is very little time between running correctly vs overheating....they will over heat very quickly (less than 10 minutes).... There appears to be no engine overheating "light" for the Encore GX Just the gauge
Old 12-23-20, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
True, but, given the choice, I'd rather take my changes with a gauge.
Old 12-23-20, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but, given the choice, I'd rather take my changes with a gauge.
Theres no rationale for that. The gauge is just an electronic signal element, same as a light.
Old 12-23-20, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

YouTube has, in the last couple of days, disabled comments on all of its videos, ...
I've had no issues leaving comments and can still do so today. Perhaps you're not logged in and thus can't leave comments.

Old 12-23-20, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I've had no issues leaving comments and can still do so today. Perhaps you're not logged in and thus can't leave comments.

Yes, Thanks, that was at least partly my bad. What You Tube did was change their format (which I didn't catch), and move the comments so you (now) have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen to find them. They want to list and advertise all their related videos in what was the former space for comments.

I never was a formal member of YouTube....I just look at their material.
Old 12-23-20, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You should create a YouTube account. It will recommend videos for you, etc.
Old 12-25-20, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tri-shield is given a whopper of a discount

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...december-2020/
Old 12-25-20, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Tri-shield is given a whopper of a discount
Yes, they have been giving big incentives on 2020s for months. That is nothing new. I'm not convinced that a first-year GM product is worth the risk, though....discount or not. That's why I'm holding out for a 2021, and why I held out for a second-year Lacrosse after the last major redesign. Of course, even second-year/third-year (or later) vehicles are not a guarantee of defect-free service, but, in general, are less of a risk, particularly with GM or Chrysler.
Old 12-26-20, 02:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

when are you taking delivery, mike?
Old 12-26-20, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
when are you taking delivery, mike?
Ordered in August.....they said at first 2-3 months, now 4-6 months. I'm in no big hurry, though....especially since it is a humble vehicle compared to what Steve and bitkahuna just got. It will serve my purposes just fine, though. I am looking forward, though, to having something that may be less-comfortable on the road, but a lot more versatile and easier to maneuver and park at close quarters....which I do by necessity every day, often several times a day.

That's one thing I have at least (somewhat) changed my mind on in the last few years....I can clearly see the reason for the vastly growing popularity of these small crossovers from all manufacturers, and why so many are sold.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's one thing I have at least (somewhat) changed my mind on in the last few years....I can clearly see the reason for the vastly growing popularity of these small crossovers from all manufacturers, and why so many are sold.
You don’t say.
Old 12-26-20, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You don’t say.

It's not necessarily what I would have wanted. But the driving conditions I routinely face, today (often not pleasant), are simply not what they were in the past. Wishing it upon a star will not bring it back. Like it or not, I (and my vehicles) have to adjust to reality....particularly in tight parking-lots and concrete curbs that can snag low-slung bodywork.

Traffic levels DID go way down earlier in 2020, in the spring, but now are pretty much back to normal.....have been since late summer.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX