Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 08:21 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ordered in August.....they said at first 2-3 months, now 4-6 months. I'm in no big hurry, though....especially since it is a humble vehicle compared to what Steve and bitkahuna just got. It will serve my purposes just fine, though. I am looking forward, though, to having something that may be less-comfortable on the road, but a lot more versatile and easier to maneuver and park at close quarters....which I do by necessity every day, often several times a day.

That's one thing I have at least (somewhat) changed my mind on in the last few years....I can clearly see the reason for the vastly growing popularity of these small crossovers from all manufacturers, and why so many are sold.
any vehicle ordered from the factory to the customer's tastes is something to celebrate, so make sure to post a ton of pictures when it does arrive!
Old 12-26-20, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Yeah nothing to do with the caliber of vehicle. Any new vehicle is exciting
Old 01-09-21, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, it looks like my own GX came in. I saw it on the lot today, and verified it was the correct year/color/trim/options, etc.....but had an appointment this afternoon, and couldn't test-drive it. I'll carefully inspect it stem-to-stern and test-drive it tomorrow (Sunday) after morning services, and, if it passes, since I don't believe in doing that kind of major financial-buisness on Sundays, do the paperwork and pick it up on Monday. If there are no further glitches, I'll start a new thread on it Monday Night or Tuesday, since this thread is for general Encore-GX talk, not my specific owner-experiences. I'll also describe, in the next thread, how the sales-manager said it might have slipped in early, under the radar, since the dealership didn't even know it was there today until I asked.

The cinnamon-colored paint looked just gorgeous in the sun...particularly with the black and white interior. I'll include some images later on, in the new thread.

In the meantime, until I start the new thread with the actual camera-images, here are Google-shots of what it looks like..........

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-09-21, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Good stuff. Can’t wait to see the photos
Old 01-09-21, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats! Thats great

I have had to tell dealers cars they have had come in for me are there at their dealer several times lol
Old 01-09-21, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats! Thats great

I have had to tell dealers cars they have had come in for me are there at their dealer several times lol

Dealing with the FCA shops in this area that you have, I can believe it.
Old 01-09-21, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never ordered one of those. The LS460L though, I found it on their lot and had to tell them it was there.

They get car shipments all the time and until it goes through their PDI they don’t really know what they have.
Old 01-09-21, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,453 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Well, it looks like my own GX came in.
That's great! Hope all goes smoothly from here on out.
Old 01-11-21, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

On the official pre-delivery test-drive yesterday, I found a problem in the FWD/AWD selector-button. Went into the shop this morning to check it, and they found a bad actuator. They ordered the part today, should be in tomorrow, and I'll take delivery when it is ready...hopefully tomorrow. When I get it home and it's officially in my custody, I'll start a new thread for it....official ownership experience.

In the meantime, on the test-drive, I was substantially more pleased with the latest turbo three-pot engine than I thought I would be. I noticed noise and vibration in the lower-RPM ranges on the 2020 version I sampled last spring, but noticeably quieter and smoother on the new 2021. Still not like an LS460, of course, but more pleasant than I expected. Perhaps Buick added some insulation for 2021 or made some other running changes. Ride comfort was acceptable for my standards....though, of course, not as plush as a Lacrosse. Front seats were narrower than the Lacrosse.....but I'm getting used to them, and at least the bolsters, though narrow, are relatively flat and don't intrude. Manuvering it in and out of tight spaces is a blast compared to big sedan like my Lacrosse...and the butt-height for the seat makes every/exit easier.

Took care of the paperwork today. The forms are endless, and (I'm not kidding) the number of them have to be seen to be believed. They are now projected electronically on the business manager's desk and included in a plug to insert in your computer...and, if desired, printed the old-fashioned away. They didn't budge a whole lot on price, partially because these vehicles are hard to get right now and in high demand, but I did get a $2000 rebate from GM itself (which I wasn't expecting on a 2021, like GM is giving on leftover 2020s). Also purchased a package that gives interior/exterior protection and vehicle-washes on request....something I'm going to find quite useful, as I'm getting a little old for the old scrub-stem-to-stern stuff every couple of weeks or so. And the dealership ordered the rubber floor and cargo mats for it....they now are dealer-installed instead of factory.

And I'll leave this thread at that, for now. I'll start a new ownership thread tomorrow...or when I get it home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

On the official pre-delivery test-drive yesterday, I found a problem in the FWD/AWD selector-button. Went into the shop this morning to check it, and they found a bad actuator. .
That is too bad.

Always the big fear of these electronic actuators is when they fail...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-11-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 09:22 PM
Veyron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the official pre-delivery test-drive yesterday, I found a problem in the FWD/AWD selector-button. Went into the shop this morning to check it, and they found a bad actuator.
So, when you pressed the AWD selector button, it didn't light up and put your vehicle on AWD ? Did it give any warnings such as "Service AWD system" ? Also, Were you able to bring the vehicle home today ?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is like most new Buicks, this Encore GX is also a badge engineered version of Opel Grandland X(see topgear review link). The exterior design is the same other than the Buick badge and interior dash also looks like a copy. Opel was sold by GM to PSA in 2017 which means they made an agreement to use the design.

The automatic transmission in the Encore GX is 9T45 version of GM's 9 speed automatic, there are several others such as 9T50, 9T60 etc used in other vehicles(see gmtech link for specs and design of the transmission and engine). The 3 cylinder engine seems like it was designed when GM was partners with PSA, see Puretech 3 cylinder design (puretech engine). GM might have just modified it and changed the tuning.

Last edited by Veyron; 01-12-21 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-12-21, 09:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Veyron
So, when you pressed the AWD selector button, it didn't light up and put your vehicle on AWD ? Did it give any warnings such as "Service AWD system" ? Also, Were you able to bring the vehicle home today ?
Welcome to CL as a new poster.

It went into AWD and would not disengage.

Yes, I was able to bring it home this afternoon, after the new actuator was installed. See the new thread (per moderator-request) I did on it here in Car Chat.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is like most new Buicks, this Encore GX is also a badge engineered version of Opel Grandland X(see topgear review link). The exterior design is the same other than the Buick badge and interior dash also looks like a copy. Opel was sold by GM to PSA in 2017 which means they made an agreement to use the design.
Incorrect. The Grandland comes from a different (PSA-EMP2) platform than the Encore GX (GM-VSSF). The front ends look similar, but that's about it. Interiors and rear ends are markedly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Grandland_X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Encore_GX

The automatic transmission in the Encore GX is 9T45 version of GM's 9 speed automatic, there are several others such as 9T50, 9T60 etc used in other vehicles(see gmtech link for specs and design of the transmission and engine). The 3 cylinder engine seems like it was designed when GM was partners with PSA, see Puretech 3 cylinder design (puretech engine). GM might have just modified it and changed the tuning.
Correct....that is the 9T45. It goes into all 1.3L AWD versions of the Encore GX.
Old 04-29-21, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For 2022, the Encore GX and Chevy Trailblazer are getting some engine "Modifications" to make those little three-pot turbos smoother and quieter. Interestingly, it reduces the EPA mileage on the Encore GX by 1 MPG...none at all on the Trailblazer with the same engines.....which suggests to me that this is nothing but a little more added sound-insulation (adding a little more weight) on the Buick to muffle the engine noise, because it is a more-premium nameplate than the Chevy.

Although I'd be lying if I said it was as quiet as my Lacrosse's V6 (it's not), actually, I don't have any significant problems with the noise on my 2021 Encore GX....primarily because I drive it with a light foot, don't put much stress on it, and don't wind the RPMs out.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/04...modifications/
Old 06-18-21, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Encore GXs and Trailblazers just recalled for spare-tire jacks that can break.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...k-a2076238753/
Old 06-18-21, 09:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Encore GXs and Trailblazers just recalled for spare-tire jacks that can break.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...k-a2076238753/
Wow that is an odd recall. you think after 100 years of making automobiles to get the jack right.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX