Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Kia Seltos

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 11:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 Kia Seltos

Kia has been teasing a new, global small crossover with some sketches the past couple of weeks. Now we get to see the actual crossover — called the Kia Seltos — completely unveiled well before the actual reveal. It seems to be sized between the Kia Soul and the Kia Sportage.

The photos also show that the drawings Kia released were clearly of the production car. Everything looks nearly identical. It also leans on many current design trends such as a black or contrasting-color roof separated by metallic trim, faux metallic skid plates on the bumpers, and a rising window line at the back. The car has more lines and creases than most of Kia's relatively organic designs of late. The headlights and taillights do have lots of nice detailing, though this is probably a high-level model, and those details may be lost on lower trims.

We don't get a look at the interior, but if it's as faithful to the teaser images as the exterior, it should look fairly typical for a Kia. It will have a fairly low, horizontal dash with a large screen protruding from the middle. It looks as though a newer widescreen will be available, which we've seen in the Kia Telluride and K900.

Considering the size of the Seltos, it would seem plausible for it to share the naturally aspirated 2.0-liter and turbocharged 1.6-liter engines from the Kia Soul and Forte. The naturally aspirated engine makes 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque, and the turbo engine makes 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. As in those other Kias, the 2.0-liter engine would probably get a CVT while the 1.6-liter engine would likely get a dual-clutch transmission. All-wheel drive is also probably on the table, though we'll have to wait to see if it's offered on every trim and powertrain combination. Kia said the reveal will be this summer, so we may be waiting a couple more months for all those details.
Source
Old 05-30-19, 12:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

A rip of the Chevy Blazer. Just too many SUV's flooding things. Nothing is exclusive or special at this stage of the game.
Old 05-30-19, 04:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A rip of the Chevy Blazer. Just too many SUV's flooding things. Nothing is exclusive or special at this stage of the game.
You think? I was going to say Volvo XC40.
Old 05-30-19, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Just what the world needs, another cuv.
Old 05-30-19, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A rip of the Chevy Blazer.
It appears to be significantly smaller than the Blazer. And, more significantly, the Celtos, at least, doesn't insult the memory of a previous vehicle with the same name like the Blazer does.

Nothing is exclusive or special at this stage of the game.
Though I'm a big fan of the solid way that Kia products are built, I'm glad to see them moving away from their corporate "Tiger" grille design. We saw somewhat of a departure on the recent Telluride, and now on the Celtos. I never did like the Tiger grilles.

Just too many SUV's flooding things.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just what the world needs, another cuv.
....and we'll probably see another new one tomorrow.
Old 05-30-19, 11:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I'm a big fan of the solid way that Kia products are built, I'm glad to see them moving away from their corporate "Tiger" grille design. We saw somewhat of a departure on the recent Telluride, and now on the Celtos. I never did like the Tiger grilles.
The Seltos, although I'd guess the U.S. may see a different name, still has their tabbed element Tiger nose grille, it's a newer interpretation of it and is on the Telluride, Stinger, new K900 etc. Schreyer has said that he intends for the tabbed tiger nose grille to be a signature design element.

Even has their tabbed upper windshield line.
Old 05-30-19, 11:59 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
my first thought as well.
Old 05-30-19, 11:21 PM
Hoovey689

I see the softer smaller Jeeps as targets of this Kia
Old 05-31-19, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I see the softer smaller Jeeps as targets of this Kia

Style-wise, it appears maybe a little closer the Compass than the more-chunky Renegade. I was going to say Renegade and Patriot, but just noticed the Patriot was discontinued.
Old 06-21-19, 12:57 AM
Hoovey689

Default Features, materials and detailing aimed at 'youthful, tech-savvy buyers'

The Kia Seltos has had an unusual gestation, with two concepts, exterior sketches, interior sketches, an effective reveal during a photo shoot, a christening via mythology and more teasers. Even so, since the Kia Seltos small crossoverbegan as last year's SP concept for the Indian market, it's fitting Kia hosted the production model's debut in Delhi. We're still missing a few details, like the look of the production interior and drivetrain options, but we have a bit more to go on.

The detailing and materials are what could set the Seltos apart in the segment. The overall lines are familiar, however, Kia designers have worked to make those lines lyric instead of prosaic. The front fascia's been defined by three transverse metallic-look pieces shaping the upper and lower forms. The wide tiger-nose grille gets bracketed by crisp splashes of color with the LED headlights and intricate turn signals. The rear end's creasing, shadow and metallic effects are bounded by LED taillights and more "3D multi-layer indicators."

We've seen renderings of the interior and know to expect a 10.25-inch infotainment screen atop the instrument panel. That screen display can be split up to show three infotainment applications at once. Kia says there will be an available eight-inch heads-up display on a glass panel behind the steering wheel. Optional eight-speaker Bose audio can pump tunes that guide the optional Sound Mood Lighting, which uses ambient lighting to create a light show timed to the beat.

Indian buyers will have a choice of a 1.6-liter turbo four-cylinder with 175 horsepower, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 147 hp, and a 1.6-liter diesel four with 134 hp. Kia didn't specify how the transmission options will be assigned, but the selection includes a seven-speed dual-clutch, a six-speed automatic, and a CVT. A three-mode driving selector offers Eco, Normal, and Sport. The Kia release said "Sport mode increases responses from steering and electric motor to maximize the dynamic driving feel." As there's no mention of hybridization, we wonder if the electric motor refers to the electrically-assisted power steering, or something else.

Wheel choices for India start with 16-inch alloys on 205/60 rubber, moving on to 17-inchers on 215/55 rubber, topping out at 18-inch wheels on 235/45 tires.
Source
Old 06-21-19, 01:35 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Based on the red vehicle above, it looks like something a high-schooler designed. Tacky and overdone.
Old 06-21-19, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Based on the red vehicle above, it looks like something a high-schooler designed. Tacky and overdone.
Actually, it looks rather conservative to me. It's certainly not in the same league of over-styling as, say, a Toyota CH-R, the Chevy Blazer, or the previous-generation RAV-4.
Old 06-21-19, 05:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,542 Posts

like a RAV4 then.

i gather this seltos won't be sold in the u.s. pity.
Old 06-22-19, 12:38 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

I thought this initially, but now I see more of the new Rav4 from the rear quarter view.
Old 06-22-19, 12:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tacky and overdone.
Agreed. The front end lights look horrendous. Whole front end looks bad.

Quick Reply: 2021 Kia Seltos