Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Correction. That is not the same shifter as in your Lacrosse. Cadillac has changed it. It's the same as in my XT4. Press and hold the shift lock button then Reverse is just straight up and D is straight down, easy peazy.
OK, fine.....if Caddy has changed its lever, I wasn't aware of it. Up till now, though, GM has used that L-shift lever (for reverse) in a number of different Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac products.
Old 06-01-19, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Autoblog is reporting that Cadillac V was demoted to Audi S status to cash in on Cadillac V cache. Aka so they can have more “V” models including XT4-V and XT5-V. It’s a marketing ploy at the expense of diluting the V brand, aka cash grab. Just like the Germans. The only difference is the Germans kept their names intact. Why these Cadillac’s couldn’t just be V-Sport or V-Lite is beyond me.
I try to see it from a more positive angle. Why is everything Cadillac so negative? I am glad to see Cadillac announce not one, but two sedans. Pleased to see Cadillac announce powertrain numbers unlike Lexus which does the dumb thing of keeping them secret. I think its smart to offer an I4, V6, and a V8 for their V-series cars. Nice to see that these cars will be manufactured in the USA.

It’s a marketing ploy at the expense of diluting the V brand, aka cash grab. Just like the Germans. The only difference is the Germans kept their names intact. Why these Cadillac’s couldn’t just be V-Sport or V-Lite is beyond me.
Lots of brands have changed something. Starbucks went to automated espresso pours. IMAX went digital. Coca-Cola no longer uses cane sugar and now uses high fructose. GMC was one GMC Truck....Labatt Beer was onces Labatt's....hell, Lexus used to have a flagship with a V8.... So what? Cadillac changed their V brand.
Old 06-01-19, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I try to see it from a more positive angle. Why is everything Cadillac so negative? I am glad to see Cadillac announce not one, but two sedans. Nice to see that these cars will be manufactured in the USA.
I'll agree wth Jill on these two counts. Hopefully, these two new Cadillac sedans will pressure Lincoln not to drop the Continental or MKZ, though if the Continental's sales-numbers don't climb some, it will be a difficult case to keep it in production.

Old 06-01-19, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I try to see it from a more positive angle. Why is everything Cadillac so negative? I am glad to see Cadillac announce not one, but two sedans. Pleased to see Cadillac announce powertrain numbers unlike Lexus which does the dumb thing of keeping them secret. I think its smart to offer an I4, V6, and a V8 for their V-series cars. Nice to see that these cars will be manufactured in the USA.

Lots of brands have changed something. Starbucks went to automated espresso pours. IMAX went digital. Coca-Cola no longer uses cane sugar and now uses high fructose. GMC was one GMC Truck....Labatt Beer was onces Labatt's....hell, Lexus used to have a flagship with a V8.... So what? Cadillac changed their V brand.
Exactly... great post.
Old 06-01-19, 10:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Because Cadillac was once the "Standard of the World". In the early 2000s Cadillac was on the decline. Bob Lutz and John Heinricy led development of the V-Series to bring Cadillac back to the limelight as well as take aim at the Teutonic trio of Germans. They came up with their own letter to counter AMG, M and RS, thus V was born. V standing for 'Velocity'. These cars were developed to take on arch rivals C and E AMGs, M3 and M5. 15 years later Cadillac is throwing in the towel and letting off the gas pedal. What a shame.

1st Gen V's (V1)
- CTS-V
- STS-V
- XLR-V

2nd Gen V's (V2)
- CTS-V
- CTS-V Coupe
- CTS-V Sport Wagon

3rd Gen V's (V3)
- CTS-V
- ATS-V
- ATS-V Coupe

I don't see BMW changing M. I don't see Mercedes changing AMG. Poor move GM/Cadillac. Could have simply made these V-Sports...
Old 06-02-19, 04:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Because Cadillac was once the "Standard of the World". In the early 2000s Cadillac was on the decline. Bob Lutz and John Heinricy led development of the V-Series to bring Cadillac back to the limelight as well as take aim at the Teutonic trio of Germans. They came up with their own letter to counter AMG, M and RS, thus V was born. V standing for 'Velocity'. These cars were developed to take on arch rivals C and E AMGs, M3 and M5. 15 years later Cadillac is throwing in the towel and letting off the gas pedal. What a shame.
Right, they were once the so called "Standard of the World", but that was a long, long time ago. The V brand has not brought Cadillac back to their former glory of being the "Standard of the World" The V brand has made Cadillac interesting to say the least, their CTS-V is every bit as good as an AMG and far superior to what Lexus has thrown together. But, it seems GM is convinced that those cars will not sell, they have said that their customers sort of rejected or were intimidated by the ATS-V, (too powerful of a car I guess). My guess is that Cadillac will ditch the regular CT4/CT5 models and just run with these models.

1st Gen V's (V1)
- CTS-V
- STS-V
- XLR-V

2nd Gen V's (V2)
- CTS-V
- CTS-V Coupe
- CTS-V Sport Wagon

3rd Gen V's (V3)
- CTS-V
- ATS-V
- ATS-V Coupe
:
Yes, all very good cars. There is also the CT6-V so let us not forget that model.

I don't see BMW changing M. :
The M brand has been all over the place with their engines. They have had I6, V10, V12, V8 and yes, just like the upcoming Cadillacs, an I4. In fact, an M3 when from a V8 in the past, to the current I6. And the original M3 even had an I4. More fact, the very first 5 series was called an M535i, now its called an M5

Over at AMG, was the idea that a handcrafted engine was a hallmark of AMG? Now they don't always handbuild the engines.

Let's raise more hell: AMG unknown to my knowledge until now even has a AMG Black Series line. mmmmmm Cadillac CT5-V 550 Blackwing sounds pretty cool

Finally, Cadillac has confirmed that their will be more V series models which will focus on racetrack performance. So what is the issue?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-19 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 05:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Exactly... great post.
I am not sure if you are serious or not. I just think Cadillac is getting crapped on all the time for no reason.
Old 06-02-19, 05:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Right, they were once the so called "Standard of the World", but that was a long, long time ago. The V brand has not brought Cadillac back to their former glory of being the "Standard of the World" The V brand has made Cadillac interesting to say the least, their CTS-V is every bit as good as an AMG and far superior to what Lexus has thrown together. But, it seems GM is convinced that those cars will not sell, they have said that their customers sort of rejected or were intimidated by the ATS-V, (too powerful of a car I guess). My guess is that Cadillac will ditch the regular CT4/CT5 models and just run with these models.

Yes, all very good cars. There is also the CT6-V so let us not forget that model.

The M brand has been all over the place with their engines. They have had I6, V10, V12, V8 and yes, just like the upcoming Cadillacs, an I4. In fact, an M3 when from a V8 in the past, to the current I6. And the original M3 even had an I4. More fact, the very first 5 series was called an M535i, now its called an M5

Over at AMG, was the idea that a handcrafted engine was a hallmark of AMG? Now they don't always handbuild the engines.

Let's raise more hell: AMG unknown to my knowledge until now even has a AMG Black Series line. mmmmmm Cadillac CT5-V 550 Blackwing sounds pretty cool

Finally, Cadillac has confirmed that their will be more V series models which will focus on racetrack performance. So what is the issue?
You are pretty clueless on M or AMG.

They have NEVER introduced a new generation M/AMG model that is NOT superior in performance. They have also added model lines or special editions (ie CS, CSL, Black Series etc)

The very first M5 was E28 generation. The previous M535i did not have M engine and never sold in US. The M brand was not even established at that point.

What Cadillac did is a joke! Not to mention flushed down the drain the V brand and spit in the face of existing owners who took a chance on the V brand and shelled out their $$$$$.

The sad part is they could of just called these cars Vsport as that was already established.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-02-19 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You are pretty clueless on M or AMG.
Aren't you a nasty one.

The very first M5 was E28 generation. The previous M535i did not have M engine and never sold in US. The M brand was not even established at that point.

You changed and modified this.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-19 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 05:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

My post is not meant to be mean but you are not using facts and your knowledge is lacking in certain aspects yet you still keep on doubling down on your argument.......
Old 06-02-19, 06:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Good article that summarizes this debacle.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/31/...021&yptr=yahoo

More Vs is the advantage here. But diluting what V means is a big disadvantage of this move. BMW, Mercedes and Audi all kept their top-tier performance car names when going through this transition. Mercedes briefly started out making AMG Sports (that didn't work) before going headlong into the AMG 43, 53 and 63 performance system we have now. Perhaps much of this confusion could have been avoided if Cadillac had introduced the supposed faster models first, and then introduced these V Lite variants. Everybody would be happy that they could get some of the goodies from a full-on V with manageable horsepower and a reasonable price. We expect these hotter cars to eventually be introduced, but it's the uncertainty around them, and the total 180 on V that forces doubt into all our minds about this move.
Old 06-02-19, 06:11 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Aren't you a nasty one.

You changed and modified this.
For US and most of the world - the first M5 was E28!
They have never did 180 on M5 positioning since that first model in the 80s.
So what is your point here?
Old 06-02-19, 06:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My post is not meant to be mean but you are not using facts and your knowledge is lacking in certain aspects yet you still keep on doubling down on your argument.......
Your post was just nasty towards me. I find it just easiest to come out from and call people out on it. You changed your post earlier about M535 vs M5 and what came first or something like that etc etc, should I call you out and say you are clueless because you changed it? No, why bother. Just makes me come off as a nasty *****.

Anyways, you are right that the M brand has built upon its predecessors. However, in this case Cadillac is changing their brand somewhat. There still is a brand new V8 in the CT6V, but now they have offered something in the I4, V6 range and thus making their cars more appealing and accessible.

Brands change all the time. Big freaking deal. Cadillac has said will have higher V models that are track ready.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just think Cadillac is getting crapped on all the time for no reason.
Well, I'm not one to "crap" on Cadillac per se, but when one looks at the latest generation of Lincoln products, their materials, and their solidness/fit and finish, Cadillac seems definitely in second place.
Old 06-02-19, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I am not sure if you are serious or not. I just think Cadillac is getting crapped on all the time for no reason.
I try not to be ambiguous, i was serious, i liked and agreed with your post and this one too.

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V