Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee spied for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 09:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee spied for the first time

Source
Old 06-12-19, 01:36 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

That rear end makes it appear that it shrunk over the current gen. I hope that front end doesn't have an overhang like it appears it does...
Old 06-12-19, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The next-generation 2020 version has some big shoes to fill. The current JGC, IMO, despite some spotty reliability, is one of FCA's best vehicles produced for the American market.
Old 06-12-19, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The next-generation 2020 version has some big shoes to fill. The current JGC, IMO, despite some spotty reliability, is one of FCA's best vehicles produced for the American market.
That’s because it and durango were based on mercedes platforms.
Old 06-12-19, 10:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The current JGC is no better than any previous version... and that is to say it's excellent. There has never been a bad rendition. It has always been a standout for the company- nothing new there.
The biggest trouble here is how long Chrysler has let this one simmer. When was it last fully redone?
Old 06-13-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That’s because it and durango were based on mercedes platforms.

So were the Dodge Charger/Challenger and Chrysler 300. They were done on RWD Mercedes E-Class platforms....one reason why, even with wheelbase-shortening from the Charger version, the Challenger is so much larger than either the Camaro or Mustang.

The current JGC also has something that neither Ford or GM offers in competition.....mega-powered SRT-8 and Hellcat options. Ford and GM offered boy-racer trucks and SUVs some time ago, like the Lightning, Typhoon, Syclone, and Silverado SS, but were dropped.
Old 06-14-19, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by fizzboy7
the current jgc is no better than any previous version... And that is to say it's excellent. There has never been a bad rendition. It has always been a standout for the company- nothing new there.
The biggest trouble here is how long chrysler has let this one simmer. When was it last fully redone?
2011. ............

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-19, 11:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The current JGC is no better than any previous version... and that is to say it's excellent. There has never been a bad rendition. It has always been a standout for the company- nothing new there.
I respect your point of view, but disagree. The 2011, in many ways, both inside and out, and on the road, was a major improvement over previous versions. When I first test-drove it (late 2010 or early 2011, I think), I was stunned at the sophistication and refinement of the chassis, steering, ride, interior trim, noise-isolation, and drivetrain. For on-road street driving, it was easily the best Jeep product I had ever sampled, hands-down....and that included the larger and more expensive Jeep Commander.

The biggest trouble here is how long Chrysler has let this one simmer. When was it last fully redone?
Hasn't needed to be redone, IMO. If it ain't broke.........don't fix it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 12:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I respect your point of view, but disagree. The 2011, in many ways, both inside and out, and on the road, was a major improvement over previous versions. When I first test-drove it (late 2010 or early 2011, I think), I was stunned at the sophistication and refinement of the chassis, steering, ride, interior trim, noise-isolation, and drivetrain. For on-road street driving, it was easily the best Jeep product I had ever sampled, hands-down....and that included the larger and more expensive Jeep Commander.

Yes, the 2011 was a big step up. But historically, the JGC has always been a strong seller for Chrysler and has always ranked near the top in comparo tests by the pros. The JGC train of solidness and success has been consistent since it first debuted.

Hasn't needed to be redone, IMO. If it ain't broke.........don't fix it.
That type of old-fashioned thinking cannot be used in modern times. The field of competition is hotter than it's ever been for SUV's, and a car company cannot rest on it's laurels. Such thinking, "if it aint broke..." is what gets companies in deep doodoo. A fine example is similar to what GM did back in the 80's, when "good enough was fine." In the meantime, new developments and trends were taking place across the industry and they got left in the dust. Another good example of the dangers of "if it aint broke" is Hyundai. They build fine cars today, but routinely facelift and redesign their models every one to two years. This has helped them boost their offerings and stay ontop of the latest tech and style trends. All pluses for sales and momentum.
Old 06-14-19, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That type of old-fashioned thinking cannot be used in modern times. The field of competition is hotter than it's ever been for SUV's, and a car company cannot rest on it's laurels. Such thinking, "if it aint broke..." is what gets companies in deep doodoo. A fine example is similar to what GM did back in the 80's, when "good enough was fine."
You're forgetting two things, though. First, believe me, what GM and Chrysler did in the 1980s was anything but fine (ask me how I know LOL). Many of their vehicles of the period were so poorly built that it bordered on criminal. Roger Smith, the GM CEO, was anything but a car person...he was an accountant concerned only with figures. Second, new technology itself often gets companies exactly in the kind of doo-doo you speak of. One of the reasons why Toyota and Lexus products have the envious reliability record they do (consistently at or near the top of the industry) is that they don't rush in with new technology until it is perfected....particularly in the important and expensive-to-repair drivetrains.
Old 06-14-19, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

The WK2 GC is a great vehicle, I had two and enjoyed them a lot (even though the first one had issues) but the vehicle is really outdated compared to modern entires, its time for a new model.

For instance, I love my LS460 and prefer it to the LS500, but I never would have said they just should have kept on selling the LS460. The time for a new model had come.
Old 06-15-19, 09:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Im confused on this, is this a ground up redesign or is this thing still running the modified last gen ML/GLE platform that underpins the current one? If the former, that`d be an interesting (alfa design), if the former, probably the longest that MB platform has ever seen outside the W220 class platform underpinning the challenger/charger series.

Last edited by coolsaber; 06-15-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Its an all new design
Old 06-15-19, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

One of the reasons why Toyota and Lexus products have the envious reliability record they do (consistently at or near the top of the industry) is that they don't rush in with new technology until it is perfected....particularly in the important and expensive-to-repair drivetrains.
I disagree with you here. Toyota/Lexus does introduce new technology as consistent with other brands, when they deem there is a need. Toyota used to come to market quicker with upgraded transmissions compared to much of the competition. Lexus also had touchscreen interfaces as far back as the early 2000s. Hybrid technology Toyota was a pioneer of. Fancy gauges such as optitron were exclusive at the time. Each company has technology they like to introduce. Our 2001 LX470 had air height control as well as adaptive variable suspension which all debuted on the 1998 models, Cadillac Escalade was still using leaf springs in the rear. Oh and LX had an 32V OHC motor which Cadillac was still using push-rod 5.7 stuff from the 80s. I don’t recall any American car having the LS400 powered telescoping steering columns in the 1990s. The LX470 has one.

I am sure there are all kinds of different examples for all kinds of brands. Every brand tries to bring new tech to market. GM has always been an good company at bringing new technologies to the automobiles.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-15-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree with you here. Toyota/Lexus does introduce new technology as consistent with other brands, when they deem there is a need.
Well, here again, you're changing your tune. In past posts, you, and some others here, have often talked about how Toyota does not jump on new technology until it has been perfected. Some have even complained about it....I generally haven't, because new technology is usually not that important to me. The only REALLY important advancements, to me, in my own lifetime, have been electronic fuel injection vs. carburetors, breakerless electronic ignition which eliminated periodic tune-ups, FWD/AWD for bad-weather traction, durable clearcoat paint, disc brakes, and rack-and-pinion steering which eliminated the free-play and slop in the middle of the wheel. Most of the rest of the things, to me at least, have generally been frivolous, convenience items, or done for safety/emissions/mileage reasons.

Toyota used to come to market quicker with upgraded transmissions compared to much of the competition.
The American-market Corolla was one of the last vehicles to still come with a four-speed automatic, although I don't remember the last year it was finally dropped.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-19 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Next-gen Jeep Grand Cherokee spied for the first time