Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 RAV4 vs NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 12:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, a 2019 Limited Hybrid.

The gas/electric transitions are pretty imperceptible. Brakes are smoother in their transition than in my Highlander Hybrid.

It’s just a massive improvement over the old model in every way.
Only $800 upcharge from the gas only version. If I was getting a RAV4, that's definitely what I'd want.
Old 06-15-19, 12:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think more is concerned here than just price. There is also the big styling differences between the RAV-4 and NX, the level of dealer-service one can probably expect, insurance rates on the two of them, and a number of other factors, including not only what I posted earlier but also the comments rogerh00 made about the Lexus touch-interface pad.
Styling and insurance rates are issues I don't see us answering for OP. I don't have any idea about OP's insurance policy, and styling is entirely subjective. I'm answering the questions that I have the ability to answer, which are facts/features/comparisons of those 2 vehicles. And I agree with the Lexus touch interface--another check mark for RAV4.
Old 06-15-19, 03:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on what you want.....and what your priorities are. IMO, the RAV-4 looks better on the outside than the NX and its in-your-face spindle-grille, but the base RAV-4 version has what is essentially a cardboard-level interior and somewhat flimsy trim materials. The upmarket RAV-4 models are nicer inside, but cost a lot more. The NX comes with a better warranty and Lexus-grade dealer-service, but, for the money, I wasn't impressed with its riding comfort, sand-insulation, or road manners....even the smaller, less-expensive UX rode more comfortably, but was cramped inside and had quirky, hard-to-use controls on the console. And I agree.....if interior space is a big issue, go with the RAV-4.
True.
Do you find that the UX with the smallest rolling diameter wheel/tire combo and the lightest unsprung weight rides best?
The NX middle ground.
While the RX with the biggest rolling diameter wheel/tire combo with the highest unsprung weight has the bobbiest ride on impact with a bump?

Also helping the UX is that its Center of Gravity is not much higher than a regular hatch/sedan/wagon - with less pitching and rolling.

Yes, the UX rear is cramped, while the CH-R's rear compartment is both cramped and "claustrophobic".

I haven't been in new RAV4, but the outgoing RAV4 had a noisy engine.
Old 06-15-19, 04:13 PM
Lead Lap

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think I agree.

Realistically, no one is going to be comparing a RAV4 LE vs an NX. Yes, the RAV4 Limited fully loaded is just under $40K, but if you comparably equip an NX, the NX still costs quite a bit more. My quick build of a non-hybrid non-FSport NX with packages to match a loaded RAV4 Limited come to $44K.
Trying to shortlist for my in-laws they have had their Honda Accord for the past 10 years. So the next car they are going to own for a very long time. Economy and reliability is a big factor, so is ride comfort and easy to get into and out of.

For their price range, they can either get a 3 year old Lexus NX 300H certified from Lexus, or a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. The only issue with the RAV4 is that is sold out. Personally I own both a RX and a GS. Have seen plenty of NX on our roads, but would never have considered the RAV4 before, as all the models until now has low quality interiors and the ride quality very 'entry-level' like (backwards from the ride quality of their Honda Accord). Now with long term reliability, I am not sure how this new engine will fair:

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=127

The engine has even more complex design compared to the 2AR engine series. There are a lot of electronics, sensors and small parts as a potential failure. Hope, that Toyota still uses good quality components and precise assembly. We also can see what the laser-clad seats in the head are unremarkable, and the cast-in cylinder sleeves don’t have enough juice for a rebuild. That all has a bad influence on the reliability and limit the engine life. It is hard to believe what the most engines will go over 150,000-200,000 miles line.
Old 06-15-19, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
True.
Do you find that the UX with the smallest rolling diameter wheel/tire combo and the lightest unsprung weight rides best?
The NX middle ground.
While the RX with the biggest rolling diameter wheel/tire combo with the highest unsprung weight has the bobbiest ride on impact with a bump?
In my experience, the RX, at least in the standard, non-F-Sport version, is still the smoothest-riding of the three (UX/NX/RX). Its size, weight, sound-insulation, wheelbase, and tire-sidewall all help out.

Also helping the UX is that its Center of Gravity is not much higher than a regular hatch/sedan/wagon - with less pitching and rolling.
The UX has a few poorly-designed features inside, but its road-manners, for its size, are surprisingly good. Except for the tiny stereo thumb-wheels, I could probably live with it as a daily-driver. Dollar-for-dollar, it is a better buy than the NX, if you don't need the space.

, the UX rear is cramped, while the CH-R's rear compartment is both cramped and "claustrophobic".
The CH-R, especially in the FWD U.S.-spec version where AWD is not even an option, is, IMO, a joke. Usually, I don't even waste time discussing it.
Old 06-15-19, 05:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

If it’s a 3 year old NXh vs 2019 RAV4 Hybrid then it’s not even a question. RAV4 without a second thought.
Old 06-15-19, 09:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
'

The engine has even more complex design compared to the 2AR engine series. There are a lot of electronics, sensors and small parts as a potential failure. Hope, that Toyota still uses good quality components and precise assembly. We also can see what the laser-clad seats in the head are unremarkable, and the cast-in cylinder sleeves don’t have enough juice for a rebuild. That all has a bad influence on the reliability and limit the engine life. It is hard to believe what the most engines will go over 150,000-200,000 miles line.
I would not put too much into this report.
Old 06-15-19, 10:02 PM
evident
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

As of right now, the rav 4 has a newer platform, and is also tnga I believe. safety, etc is better at this point on the rav4
Old 06-15-19, 10:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

new motors new electronics are always a concern. Toyota seems to be on the better side of things for the most part, but imho, if you intend to keep it past the powertrain warranty, just skip the first MY entirely, and pick it up later in MY2. Regardless of how amazing toyota engineering maybe, they are after humans.
Old 06-15-19, 11:06 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I too would choose a 2019 rav4 hybrid (XSE I think? the top level trim) over a 2019 NX. Im a 25 year old male. I think the Rav4 looks much nicer. Obviously may have more road noise, but for example, I like to camp and go on dirt trails. I feel the Rav4 would be nicer for that.
Old 06-16-19, 05:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
Trying to shortlist for my in-laws they have had their Honda Accord for the past 10 years. So the next car they are going to own for a very long time. Economy and reliability is a big factor, so is ride comfort and easy to get into and out of.

For their price range, they can either get a 3 year old Lexus NX 300H certified from Lexus, or a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. The only issue with the RAV4 is that is sold out. Personally I own both a RX and a GS. Have seen plenty of NX on our roads, but would never have considered the RAV4 before, as all the models until now has low quality interiors and the ride quality very 'entry-level' like (backwards from the ride quality of their Honda Accord). Now with long term reliability, I am not sure how this new engine will fair:

Seriously, have them look at the Mazda CX-5.
Old 06-16-19, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

the cr-v outsells ‘em all, for good reasons... for one i think its interior is the best in its class.
Old 06-16-19, 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the cr-v outsells ‘em all, for good reasons... for one i think its interior is the best in its class.
Not sure where you got that but the CR-V is not the sales leader here.
Old 06-16-19, 08:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I test drove a CR-V last week. There's no way that interior is "best in class". We went back to back to back with a CX-5 Signature and a Santa Fe Ultimate (admittedly bigger than this class--a bit of a Tweener). The CR-V was a distant third--and we drove the Touring model; halfway through the test drive we ruled it out. The materials were not up to par with the other 2, nor was road and engine noise. The CX-5's interior is IMO best in class. I thought the CX-5 had stop/start because you couldn't hear the engine idling at stop lights.

Don't get me wrong, the CR-V is solid. But no way is it "best". I didn't drive the RAV-4, so I can't give an assessment as to the CR-V interior compared to RAV-4.

And @JDR76 is right--RAV4 is the sales leader; not just in the class, but vs everything in the USA that's not a pickup truck.
Old 06-16-19, 08:33 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not sure where you got that but the CR-V is not the sales leader here.
I believe in reference to actual retail sales, the CR-V does lead the Rav4, Rogue, etc., as Honda does not do fleet sales. Most Rav's & Rogue's around here are rentals - tons of them in Busch Gardens parking lot.

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 vs NX