Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 RAV4 vs NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 05:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

And, back to the NX, I hope Lexus comes up with a redesign pretty soon. I never thought much of the last one...even the smaller, more cramped UX and its tiny console-thumb-wheels is more pleasant. as a vehicle, to drive.
Old 06-19-19, 07:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Not only is baconRx correct, but, worse than any of that, is every other driver on the road minding the cell-phone instead of watching where they are going.

Oh, and baconRx, IMO, equally as annoying as those who do not use signals at all are those who use signals continuously when they are not turning or changing lanes.
Yup--everyone else is driving unsafe, why should I bother taking extra precautions? Good strategy.

Or, better yet..... everyone else is driving unsafe, I must be sure to take extra precautions....
Old 06-19-19, 08:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

For me, when weather and visibility is bad, I want to do everything I can to ensure my vehicle is as visible as can be. Simple as that. It's not about laws, it's about keeping myself safe.
Old 06-19-19, 08:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Thanks--great info.

Any feedback on engine refinement? The gas version has taken a lot of flak for being noisy and unrefined; but I have not yet seen a full road review on the hybrid version to see if this complaint applies as well.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Engine is still a 4 cylinder and a bit buzzy, but not bad. I haven't driven the gas only version to compare, except for my folks' outgoing 2013 which may not be comparable.

Car and Driver just did a full test on the Hybrid. A link and an excerpt talking about the noise.

The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Is the RAV4 to Have

The RAV4 hybrid shares its distinctive looks with the regular model—although it cannot be had in the more butch Adventure trim—as well as its handsome and roomy interior, a long list of standard safety tech, comfortable front seats, and its nicely balanced ride, handling, and steering. Aside from the mushiness of its standard continuously variable automatic transmission versus the conventional model's eight-speed automatic, it's almost impossible to tell you're driving a hybrid. Its 1.6-kWh nickel-metal-hydride battery pack is small enough to fit under the rear seat, so there's no loss in passenger or cargo space. Possibly best of all, in a RAV4 hybrid your ears won't ring from the aural assault doled out by the standard RAV4's obnoxious, grating engine note. At 73 decibels at wide-open throttle, the hybrid's sound reading is 3 decibels quieter than the regular version's, although noise levels are about the same at a 70-mph cruise. This compact ute will never sing Ferrari-style arias, but the sounds coming from under the hood are notably muffled and are now at least acceptable
compared to other vehicles in this class.
Full article here.
Old 06-19-19, 09:06 AM
evident
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Be real; no cop is going to pull you over and get rained on because you don't have your headlights on. During the day, I agree that DRLs are enough to make your car more visible in rain/down pours. But your tail lights are not on if you only rely on DRLs; so headlights should be on in rain, snow, fog.
Dude, I got pulled over at 5pm for not having headlights on when i was 18 years old. It was dusk but still relatively bright out. cops will pull you over for any reason.
Old 06-19-19, 09:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by evident
Dude, I got pulled over at 5pm for not having headlights on when i was 18 years old. It was dusk but still relatively bright out. cops will pull you over for any reason.
Because it was raining, or because it was dark? If dark, of course they will pull you over.
Old 06-28-19, 10:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

There is no law, at least in my state, that says taillights have to come on with the wipers.
I meant to look this up after you posted this comment. Here's the page on PennDOT's website about the Penna "Wipers On/Headlights On" law:

https://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffi...spx?newsid=621

10/18/2016

Montoursville, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) reminds motorists to turn on their vehicle’s headlights any time their windshield wipers are on. They should also be turned on between dusk and dawn, in fog, when visibility is less than ideal, and generally any time it would help you to see out of your vehicle or for others to see you better.

Pennsylvania law states that when your wipers are on, your headlights are also required to be on. Daylight running lights, a standard feature on most cars these days, are not enough. It is necessary for drivers in vehicles with daytime running lights to turn on their headlights in order to activate their taillights.

Also, according to Pennsylvania law, all motorists are required to travel with their headlights turned on in all posted work zones, not just active work zones. In 2015, the Pennsylvania State Police issued more than 600 citations for not using headlights and wipers when required to do so.

For more information about traffic safety, visit www.penndot.gov/safety or call 570-368-8686.
For local updates on Twitter visit https://twitter.com/511PAStateColl and follow PennDOT on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/PennDOTNews.

MEDIA CONTACT: Kim Smith, 570-368-4344

Virginia Law:

§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise; (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet; and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, motorcycles may be equipped with and use not more than five approved lights in order to provide general illumination ahead of the motorcycle. These limitations shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

C. Vehicles equipped with warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027 shall display lighted warning lights as authorized in such sections at all times when responding to emergency calls, towing disabled vehicles, or constructing, repairing, and maintaining public highways or utilities on or along public highways, except that amber lights on vehicles designed with a ramp on wheels and a hydraulic lift with a capacity to haul or tow another vehicle, commonly referred to as "rollbacks," need not be lit while the vehicle is in motion unless it is actually towing a vehicle.

D. The failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices under the conditions set forth in clause (iii) of subsection A shall not constitute negligence per se, nor shall violation of clause (iii) of subsection A constitute a defense to any claim for personal injury or recovery of medical expenses for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

E. No demerit points shall be assessed for failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices during periods of fog, rain, sleet, or snow in violation of clause (iii) of subsection A.

F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.

Code 1950, § 46-275; 1956, c. 640; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-268; 1960, c. 156; 1970, c. 165; 1983, c. 132; 1987, c. 381; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 364; 1997, cc. 25, 589; 2016, cc. 195, 206.

The chapters of the acts of assembly referenced in the historical citation at the end of this section may not constitute a comprehensive list of such chapters and may exclude chapters whose provisions have expired.
I'm pretty sure "illuminating devices required by this article" means other lights, like tail lights. If it doesn't, then by your logic, cars would only be required to have DRLs on from sunset until sunrise.

Old 06-28-19, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Virginia Law:

[h2]

I'm pretty sure "illuminating devices required by this article" means other lights, like tail lights. If it doesn't, then by your logic, cars would only be required to have DRLs on from sunset until sunrise.
It doesn't actually say taillights, though. That's not simply my logic, that's the way they wrote the statute...it is indeed ambiguous. And THAT is why cops in Virginia don't stop people or write them up for having only DRLs on in low-visibility conditions....it's basically a non-issue. I've said it before, and will repeat it here now....if I ever hear of an instance of a cop actually issuing a ticket for this, especially in Virginia, you can bet the farm I'll have it posted, here in Car Chat, as soon as I can get my computer up.
Old 06-28-19, 01:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's safe to say if your wipers are on and your lights don't come on automatically, just turn 'em on. It's safer for both you and others on the road. Worry about the technicalities and legalities later.
Old 06-28-19, 03:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

It doesn't actually say taillights, though. That's not simply my logic, that's the way they wrote the statute...it is indeed ambiguous. And THAT is why cops in Virginia don't stop people or write them up for having only DRLs on in low-visibility conditions....it's basically a non-issue. I've said it before, and will repeat it here now....if I ever hear of an instance of a cop actually issuing a ticket for this, especially in Virginia, you can bet the farm I'll have it posted, here in Car Chat, as soon as I can get my computer up.
Please--you have no idea why VA police officers don't ticket for no headlights in the rain. You can guess "legal ambiguities"; I'll guess because they don't want to get rained on.

But, why don't you go ahead and drive around with your DRLs at night, and fight that one in court. Let us know how that worked out. Because that same statute governs night driving and bad weather driving. So, by your logic, the ambiguity should work out the same.
Old 06-28-19, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Please--you have no idea why VA police officers don't ticket for no headlights in the rain. You can guess "legal ambiguities"; I'll guess because they don't want to get rained on.
I personally know a number of cops (not from bad experience LOL) and lived a couple doors down from a Virginia State Trooper. I've discussed the matter with them more than once.

It's not so much the desire not to get wet (remember, police have to do all kinds of work, in all kinds of weather...that's simply part of their job). There's a reason why, unlike most of us outside the military and uniformed services,, they can retire after only 20 years. But, with the lights-on rule, it is simply a low-enforcement priority for them. With the huge population and enormous amounts of traffic for them to deal with here, there simply is too much else for them to do, and not enough hours (or budget) to do it.

But, why don't you go ahead and drive around with your DRLs at night, and fight that one in court. Let us know how that worked out. Because that same statute governs night driving and bad weather driving. So, by your logic, the ambiguity should work out the same.
Don't need to. I don't drive a 12K Mitsubishi Mirage. The Lacrosse comes with an AUTO feature on the light-switch that kicks the full-headlights (front and back) on in dim-light conditions, even in the daytime. So, on a dark cloudy day, or in a tunnel, the full-lights will be on...I don't even have to think about it. When the full lights go on, a green symbol lights up on the dash, and the intensity of the dash and video-screen lights automatically turn down.
Old 06-28-19, 04:45 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

I personally know a number of cops (not from bad experience LOL) and lived a couple doors down from a Virginia State Trooper. I've discussed the matter with them more than once.

It's not so much the desire not to get wet (remember, police have to do all kinds of work, in all kinds of weather...that's simply part of their job). There's a reason why, unlike most of us outside the military and uniformed services,, they can retire after only 20 years. But, with the lights-on rule, it is simply a low-enforcement priority for them. With the huge population and enormous amounts of traffic for them to deal with here, there simply is too much else for them to do, and not enough hours (or budget) to do it.
All states just need to have speed cameras everywhere so cops can regulate more important things.
Old 06-28-19, 06:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Don't need to. I don't drive a 12K Mitsubishi Mirage. The Lacrosse comes with an AUTO feature on the light-switch that kicks the full-headlights (front and back) on in dim-light conditions, even in the daytime. So, on a dark cloudy day, or in a tunnel, the full-lights will be on...I don't even have to think about it. When the full lights go on, a green symbol lights up on the dash, and the intensity of the dash and video-screen lights automatically turn down.
....And, thank you for taking us full circle back to the point that started this discussion, where someone posted that the RAV4 now has a feature where the lights will turn on when the wipers are on. My BMW has this, but not all cars do. You don't have to get a stripped down Mitzu to be without this feature, and in the pouring rain, in the middle of the day, most auto headlights are not sensitive enough to turn on the headlights....unless the car also has the feature to turn on the headlights when the wipers are going.

This should be a standard feature on all cars, IMO.
Old 06-28-19, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

....And, thank you for taking us full circle back to the point that started this discussion, where someone posted that the RAV4 now has a feature where the lights will turn on when the wipers are on.
Close, but not quite a cigar. My Lacrosse, unlike the RAV-4, does not turn the wipers/lights on at the same time...only the full-headlights when the surrounding environment darkens.

This should be a standard feature on all cars, IMO.
I understand where you are coming from, but I also should state that I was opposed to that wiper/headlight law in the first place. I know not all will agree with me (you, for example, often don't), but I feel that if one cannot drive reasonably safely on cloudy/rainy days, with 500 feet or less of visibility (the law's standard), and still not see another car ahead, even without that vehicle's headlights on, then I question their fitness for a drivers' license. I drove, for decades, before that headlight/wipers law was passed, without any problems....even over the mountains to Ohio and back, without any problems, in cars with far less candlepower lights than we have today. I'll admit, though, and concede this much, that the lack of the big chrome bumpers, today, on most vehicles, can, because of the lack of color-contrast make gray vehicles difficult to see on an gray asphalt surface....that is one of the few exceptions. Many people, BTW, buy or want white vehicles because of that very issue....they are the easiest to see in darker conditions, and considered the ultimate safety-color.
Old 06-28-19, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, back to the RAV-4 and NX. We all (me included) got way off topic with wiper/light laws.

I'll just say that I'm looking forward to the next NX. I was not very impressed with the last one. I wasn't on my first static-review of the UX either...though, when I test-drove the UX F-Sport Hybrid, I thought it had noticeably better road manners, in both ride comfort, handling, and sound-insulation, than the NX. If the road manners of the next NX are even as good as that of the UX, that will be an improvement.

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 vs NX