Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 RAV4 vs NX

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 07:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I understand where you are coming from, but I also should state that I was opposed to that wiper/headlight law in the first place. I know not all will agree with me (you, for example, often don't), but I feel that if one cannot drive reasonably safely on cloudy/rainy days, with 500 feet or less of visibility (the law's standard), and still not see another car ahead, even without that vehicle's headlights on, then I question their fitness for a drivers' license. .
Having the lights on helps everyone. Pedestrians. Those driving the vehicle and oncoming traffic. Any argument against having headlights on when the wipers are on is just wrong.
Old 06-28-19, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

This should be a standard feature on all cars, IMO.
I agree. I think Subaru is standard across the range of models.
Old 06-28-19, 08:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Having the lights on helps everyone. Pedestrians. Those driving the vehicle and oncoming traffic. Any argument against having headlights on when the wipers are on is just wrong.
Exactly. Not being able to see in heavy rain, snow and fog has little to do with a person's own physical abilities. Which is why these laws exists--for everyone else's safety over arrogance of "I can see just fine--those other people are the ones with a problem."
Old 06-28-19, 08:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Exactly. Not being able to see in heavy rain, snow and fog has little to do with a person's own physical abilities. Which is why these laws exists--for everyone else's safety over arrogance of "I can see just fine--those other people are the ones with a problem."
It is also valuable in that when headlights go on, the tail lights go on. So it’s front and rear, visibility for those behind following.

Further, what possible drawbacks can there be if headlights are on.
Old 06-28-19, 09:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Arguing against headlights on in rain is like arguing against seatbelts... people will come up with all kinds of ‘reasons’ but that doesn’t mean they’re good reasons. Seatbelts save lives.
Old 06-28-19, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Arguing against headlights on in rain is like arguing against seatbelts... people will come up with all kinds of ‘reasons’ but that doesn’t mean they’re good reasons. Seatbelts save lives.
^^^^ A moot point, with today's DRLs. They operate whenever the ignition is on and the vehicle is in gear. Then, the only thing the DRLs are doing is wearing out the headlights quicker LOL.
Old 06-29-19, 05:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^ A moot point, with today's DRLs. They operate whenever the ignition is on and the vehicle is in gear. Then, the only thing the DRLs are doing is wearing out the headlights quicker LOL.
So I take it you do not like DRLs?
Old 06-29-19, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So I take it you do not like DRLs?

Not so much that I don't like them. I just see them as a drain on bulb-life when IMO they aren't actually needed most of the time. But, that, to some extent, is countered by the fact that today's lighting systems last longer than ever without burning out.

I remember, back in the 1980s, the rectangular Sylvania and GE halogen sealed-beam lights I had on my Mazda.....I drove a lot at night, and they were burning out twice a year or so. But they were cheap......$9.95 at most auto-parts stores. They were simple enough to replace that I could do it myself with only a Phillips screwdriver....no need to go to the shop. Those days are long gone.
Old 06-29-19, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

IMO they aren't actually needed most of the time.
Why do you think they are not needed?
Old 06-29-19, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you think they are not needed?
Most of the time, visibility is not that bad. In Virginia, the law says that lights have to be on with the wipers when visibility is less than 500 feet.

No offense, but IMO I think we all have discussed the DRL/headlight/state law issues enough...at least in this thread. We're off the RAV-4/NX topic.
Old 06-29-19, 06:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most of the time, visibility is not that bad. In Virginia, the law says that lights have to be on with the wipers when visibility is less than 500 feet.

No offense, but IMO I think we all have discussed the DRL/headlight/state law issues enough...at least in this thread. We're off the RAV-4/NX topic.
DRL's are about being seen. I have no issue with them. I can't believe you have an issue with DRL. But OK, we are off topic.
Old 06-29-19, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I can't believe you have an issue with DRL.
Only a very minor one. It's not like I hate them.

But OK, we are off topic.
On the RAV-4. I think I might be shopping with a colleague of mine for a new one pretty shortly. He's keeping an old 1999 RAV-4 to get around the annual Virginia property-tax, which, on an old vehicle like that, is essentially nothing. He's been quite satisfied with it and with the local Toyota shop....but it is showing its age, and he still needs something reliable for work. I do think, though, that, even though worn, it was more solidly-built than the new ones, particularly in the interior.
Old 06-29-19, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it was more solidly-built than the new ones, particularly in the interior.
I disagree.
Old 06-29-19, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I disagree.

Have you looked at or test-driven a new one? Yes, I'm sure the drivetrain and mechanicals will be reliable (it is a Toyota, after all)..but the 2019 interior has a lot of thin cheap parts, particularly on the base model. The interior parts on his old 1999 feel more substantial.
Old 06-29-19, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Have you looked at or test-driven a new one? .
We had one for two days. A new LE model. We get them for my work. It was quite nice after using it for a while. I completely get and understand why mid size sedans are becoming less popular. To me, it seems pointless to purchase a Camry when you can get a more functional model for the same price.

but the 2019 interior has a lot of thin cheap parts, particularly on the base model. The interior parts on his old 1999 feel more substantial.
I disagree. I found it to be competitive with everything else.

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 vs NX