Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 4Runner broke a brake line

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 10:35 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m almost certain that if the brake system becomes disconnected at one corner, it’s unable to build pressure at the other three corners and therefore the car would lose all stopping power unless you were using the e-brake. All the fluid in the reservoir would just exit through the disconnected area until it was gone, right? Each brake doesn’t have its own reservoir so how could there still be pressure in the other three lines?
Old 06-17-19, 10:41 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no idea about whether both lines were broke. Or something else. But I have fluid all over the one side of the frame near the steering column. I did see that there was something about dual lines. But I was also reading on a few 4Runner forums about the 4Runner losing brakes in multiple instances.

Brake fluid eats paint too, wipe it off any paint you don't want removed. This includes undercarriage that is anti-corrosion.
Old 06-17-19, 10:45 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

My 4Runner broke a brake line today. Total loss of braking. Vehicle simply would not stop, coasted for about 1/2 mile until I was going slow enough to put into park.

Happy I was not on the highway.
Happy nobody was on the road
Happy it was a quite Sunday on a side street
Happy it was not in a school zone
Did you downshift to a lower gear ?
Old 06-17-19, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Did you downshift to a lower gear ?
Nope. Went into neutral, then slow enough to drive. Didn’t really think about the downshift till after to be honest. Happened so fast. I was not driving at speed. It was just after I got in, start the vehicle, just started moving when I realized to no brakes. No on a downhill either.
Old 06-17-19, 11:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Yikes, that is scary.
Glad you're safe.

Nope. Went into neutral, then slow enough to drive. Didn’t really think about the downshift till after to be honest. Happened so fast. I was not driving at speed. It was just after I got in, start the vehicle, just started moving when I realized to no brakes. No on a downhill either.
I was going to ask what was the first sign until you posted this.

Has it been determined that it's the brake line or is it a bad master brake cylinder?
Old 06-17-19, 11:06 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

In 1978 I was in USMC boot camp, after graduation I was ready to drive home but as I approached my '71 Firebird Formula from behind I saw fluid on the pavement under my rear axle. When I looked underneath I saw brake fluid leaking from the rubber hose that connected to the hard brake lines that sent fluid to each rear brake.
Next I checked the master cylinder which had a separate reservoir for front or rear brake fluid. The rear reservoir was nearly empty & the front was full. I drove the car slowly to test the brakes. After a few stops the rear stopped braking. I drove the 436 miles home easily by allowing for increased stopping distance & braking with all 4 tires pointing straight ahead.
Old 06-17-19, 11:12 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Riick
The ELEPHANT in the room is being ignored.
How is it that the OP lost ALL Braking?
Dual braking systems went in all cars sold in USA, in the early1980s.
Breaking "a brake line" could not make the OP lose all braking power.
Dual system, 2 wheels (diagonally opposite) whould still have brakes if one brake line broke.
Did the OP, who forgot about emergency brake, have the power-brake booster go out, and think: NO BRAKES !!
Or did both lines manage to go out at once - Sounds improbable to me.

Where oh where are some of you people getting your information??
Parking/Emergency brake is mechanical, an acts on rear brakes only.
It's there for a reason, generally :
(a) Parking on hills, if you worry about your automatic transmission letting go, and
(b) Emergencies - if/as/when brakes fail, gives you at least some braking ability.
Will it make your car (or your head) spin .. I guess it could, but it should not.

/
Many newer vehicles have electric activated parking brakes now, lighter & less maintenance.
Old 06-17-19, 11:14 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

seems odd to blow a brake line and not get a brake warning. Also seems odd that a blown brake line wouldn't let you stop at all. Good luck and let us know what the repair shop says.
Old 06-17-19, 11:22 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if a park/emergency brake is engaged with a 'ratcheted' hand brake handle or foot bedal, there's no way to moderate it. with the hand brake at least, you can usually hold the button pressed in and modulate how much braking you want, but yes, slamming the foot pedal park brake is a bad idea.
My car has a ratcheted hand brake handle with a release button on the end. I can hold the button down to vary braking force for starting off uphill with the clutch or occasional stunt driving.
Old 06-17-19, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mnewxcv
seems odd to blow a brake line and not get a brake warning. Also seems odd that a blown brake line wouldn't let you stop at all. Good luck and let us know what the repair shop says.
Yes. Perhaps I didn’t hear the buzzer. I had the radio on. And perhaps I did not see the dash light. This all occurred within 30 seconds of starting up my vehicle. Felt something was off as the transmission shifter was very easy to go into park, which the 4Runner started move while my foot was pushing down on he brake.
Old 06-17-19, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yikes, that is scary.
Glad you're safe.

I was going to ask what was the first sign until you posted this.

Has it been determined that it's the brake line or is it a bad master brake cylinder?
First sign was my shifter felt easy to move into drive while my foot was on the brake feeling like there was no brake pressure.

Not yet sure what what it was. Waiting to here back from the mechanic.
Old 06-17-19, 01:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

just wondering, is your car parked on the street or in a garage? if on the street, wondering (hope not!) if someone tampered with your brakes.
Old 06-17-19, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

just wondering, is your car parked on the street or in a garage? if on the street, wondering (hope not!) if someone tampered with your brakes.
Is parked outdoors. But not on the street. Condominium parking lot in Toronto, my car is always underground but never our suvs. I guess you never know. But I was driving around most of the day doing s few things. My guess it is rust.

The mechanic today told me this happens more than you think which echos the tow operators comments.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-17-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 03:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i forgot your 4runner's 15 years old and with toronto winters, that's a hell of a lot of salt abuse.
Old 06-17-19, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

i forgot your 4runner's 15 years old and with toronto winters, that's a hell of a lot of salt abuse.

Yep....I brought that possibility up earlier. That was my first reaction, too....especially if one does not regularly flush the underbody and wheel wells with a hose, whenever temperatures above freezing permit.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner broke a brake line