Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 07:04 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don’t have a degree in marketing, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express, so there’s that.... If I were shopping for a new truck, marketing might make me consider a Chevy, but ultimately the quality of the product would be the determining factor whether I bought it or not.
Old 11-27-19, 07:41 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So back to the Silverado... short of a redesign and maybe upgrading the interior, what can GM do to improve Silverado sales?
complete interior redesign, but that will cost so much to redo. Interiors are one of the hardest parts of a vehicle to engineer. Everything has to look, feel, come together, rattle free. They had their chance when they were under a redesign, but they didnt take advantage of that and thought pushing out a different looking truck on the outside was good enough. A big miscalculation.

the problem is if there is wind they are dramatically improving the interior, thats going to kill sales now from people waiting or people jump elsewhere because they cant wait.
Old 11-27-19, 09:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Some recent posts about c8 corvette deleted as completely off topic
Old 11-30-19, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Add in an uncomfortable and outclassed interior, and you're saddled with a truck that'll only attract the most faithful customers
Review: The Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD is Good on Paper, But...
Old 11-30-19, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
I don’t have a degree in marketing,

ultimately the quality of the product would be the determining factor whether I bought it or not.
Sounds to me like you have more intelligence and common sense than some of those who DO have a degree in marketing.
Old 11-30-19, 04:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

How is a member (me) stating their opinion that these trucks have second-rate interiors because likely the C8 soaked up most of GM's R&D budget off topic and a deletable post?

That's all I have to say about the C8, I'm not trying to make this thread about the C8. I'm not trying to go OT at all.

These things happen with cars. It's the same reason the 1gen Enclave/Acadia/Traverse were allowed to die on the vine for so long without a redesign, GM was broke from the bankruptcy and let them languish. But they were good enough to keep around, they still sold well. There's a '15 in my family you can tell it's an old design but it's still quite a nice vehicle overall.

I don't think these truck interiors are completely god-awful but yes they are at the back of the pack for sure. But as I've said, it won't take them long to get the hint and refresh them. The makers listen to their customers especially when it comes to 1500s and I'm sure get earfuls constantly.

Expect a really nice interior update in a year or so.
Old 11-30-19, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
These things happen with cars. It's the same reason the 1gen Enclave/Acadia/Traverse were allowed to die on the vine for so long without a redesign, GM was broke from the bankruptcy and let them languish. But they were good enough to keep around, they still sold well. There's a '15 in my family you can tell it's an old design but it's still quite a nice vehicle overall
Yes, that seems to been the reason why those 1Gen triplets hung around so long.....they were selling well, making money for GM, had plenty of room inside (even by third-row-seat standards), and kept a lot of people happy, even though they had some reliabilty issues. I actually like the smaller 2Gen Acadia more than the larger 1Gen, except for those ridiculous pull-buttons for the shifting. The 2Gen Traverse and Encore did not share the Acadia's downsizing.

Which of the three is your '15, BTW?

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

How is a member (me) stating their opinion that these trucks have second-rate interiors because likely the C8 soaked up most of GM's R&D budget off topic and a deletable post?

That's all I have to say about the C8, I'm not trying to make this thread about the C8. I'm not trying to go OT at all.

These things happen with cars. It's the same reason the 1gen Enclave/Acadia/Traverse were allowed to die on the vine for so long without a redesign, GM was broke from the bankruptcy and let them languish. But they were good enough to keep around, they still sold well. There's a '15 in my family you can tell it's an old design but it's still quite a nice vehicle overall.

I don't think these truck interiors are completely god-awful but yes they are at the back of the pack for sure. But as I've said, it won't take them long to get the hint and refresh them. The makers listen to their customers especially when it comes to 1500s and I'm sure get earfuls constantly.

Cite the precedent when GM has done a complete change to an interior as a refresh? GM better not put these interiors into the next GM SUVs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-30-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cite the precedent when GM has done a complete change to an interior as a refresh?
Depends on where you draw the line between "refreshed" and "new" interiors. The Avenir interiors on Buicks, for example, were not all added at the time of that generation vehicle's introduction...some of them had already been introduction for a couple of years. Ford, of course, did a (badly-needed) major mid-generation update of the Lincoln MKZ's interior, with number of new features/designs, and a whole new front end/grille, for 2017, the mid-generation update. Lexus also made major interior changes, with better materials and more wood-paneling, for the mid-generation 2010 ES350.

GM better not put these interiors into the next GM SUVs.
Well, after what we have seen in the last 12-18 months, one cannot rule out almost anything from GM's management. One might as well toss darts at a board.

Old 11-30-19, 05:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that seems to been reason why those 1Gen triplets hung around so long.....they were selling well, making money for GM, had plenty of room inside (even by third-row-seat standards), and kept a lot of people happy, even though they had some reliabilty issues. I actually like the smaller 2Gen Acadia more than the larger 1Gen, except for those ridiculous pull-buttons for the shifting. The 2Gen Traverse and Encore did not share the Acadia's downsizing.

Which of the three is your '15, BTW?
It's a fully loaded Enclave. You can tell it's older design but it's still a quite a nice vehicle...it has great steering and handling, ride, quietness and a great V6.

Crossovers aren't my thing but it's great for trips bc it's huge inside.

Cite the precedent when GM has done a complete change to an interior as a refresh? GM better not put these interiors into the next GM SUVs.
A good example is the mid 90s Cadillac revamped the STS and ETC interior to look a lot more like a Lexus inside with the larger buttons and dials.

And yes, agreed. The new big SUVs have been delayed a year. I am 95% confident it will be worth the wait.

GM will massively improve the interiors of these trucks, give it a year or two. If Ram is outselling Silverado that's going to be a hugggge deal to them.
Old 11-30-19, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A good example is the mid 90s Cadillac revamped the STS and ETC interior to look a lot more like a Lexus inside with the larger buttons and dials.
Not too bad an example

And yes, agreed. The new big SUVs have been delayed a year. I am 95% confident it will be worth the wait.

GM will massively improve the interiors of these trucks, give it a year or two. If Ram is outselling Silverado that's going to be a hugggge deal to them.
I love your passion!

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-30-19 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-01-19, 05:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

now comes a dilemma, do you want an updated interior that has been rushed out when its the hardest part of the vehicle to engineer. Either way with this news people on the fence are going to look elsewhere or it kills current sales for future ones. 2021 model year is at the earliest, still a whiles off. Also way to **** off people who bought the 2019/2020 models
Old 12-01-19, 10:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I love your passion!
Thank you Ma'am!!! We both share passion for Toyota/Lexus BOF trucks.