Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 06:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
I have had no sympathy for gm for the longest time for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. They have always been the car company that makes the most annoying commercials, using images of 9/11(patriotism), Howie long making fun of the f150s "man step" (questioning the persons manhood )to the current annoying " real people" ones.
Does being the leader in building in Mexico have any affect on your perception on GM?
Old 06-18-19, 06:31 AM
evident
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Does being the leader in building in Mexico have any affect on your perception on GM?
I have no problem with *some* of their products being built in mexico. It's inevitable, they are our trade partners, and other companies do it too. But I have a problem with them accepting a huge bailout from the US government then closing their plants in the US while making dumb commercials that elicit fake patriotism.

GM and some (many?) of their buyers that buy them are usually the loud mouthed ignorant buy american crowd that think the "furren japs" came in and took all their jobs away, when really it's the big 3 that did it to themselves.

Last edited by evident; 06-18-19 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

GM seems to be losing customers for a number of reasons. Our ex-Condo Board President (who I've known for years) came home with a brand-new blue Explorer a couple of days ago....traded in her GMC Terrain.

I pointed out to her that an all-new 2020 Explorer (which I'm going to do a full-review on), was coming in a matter of weeks, if not days...but she probably got a lot better deal on a leftover 2019, which is usually the case when an all-new generation of vehicle-design comes out. (I didn't ask her the details of the deal, and it's probably none of my business).

She had had a Nissan Rogue before that, and traded that for the Terrain because the Rogue couldn't handle her two big Labrador dogs. Then, one of the Labs passed away, and interior space wasn't that much of an issue, although the Explorer is actually larger than the last-generation Terrain. But she told me she was just tired of dealing with engine problems, Check-Engine lights, and other issues (I told her long ago that that engine, the 2.4L Ecotec four, had an oil-burning issue from defective piston rings), and enough was enough...she was through with GM, at least for now. She was also irked, like I am, that even though she isn't a sedan customer, GM is removing that choice from consumers, and shutting down several plants.

Our condo-maintenance man is a long-time GM fanned is currently (seriously) looking at a new 1500-series truck...his old Chevy is quite unreliable now, and he needs a new truck for all the things he needs to carry and haul. He had me check out the new F-150 and Silverado (no Rams, because of their unreliability)..but seems to be leaning towards the F-150, because he is also mad at GM for shipping jobs to Mexico and dropping their sedans (he loves riding in my Lacrosse...I had to give him a lift on a couple of occasions). I don't see and talk to them regularly like I do these two, but I suspect there are many more like them across the country right now.

What's ironic, though, is that Ford, who seems to be the current short-term beneficiary of the public anger with GM, is itself doing some of the same practices in job-exporting and axing of sedans.

Originally Posted by evident
GM and some (many?) of their buyers that buy them are usually the loud mouthed ignorant buy american crowd that think the "furren japs" came in and took all their jobs away, when really it's the big 3 that did it to themselves.
I don't see the idea of 'Buying American" as ignorant. It's true that workers in Mexico, Asia, and Europe have families to feed and bills to pay, but so do people right here, in the U.S.....and, IMO, our own employment needs should come before those in other countries.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-18-19 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 07:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Folks we already have long running threads on GM plant closing, de-prioritizing sedans and moving jobs to Mexico.

Please we don't need another one.
Old 06-18-19, 07:32 AM
evident
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I don't see the idea of 'Buying American" as ignorant..
I never said that it was. But to think buying GM is buying american while disparaging honda and toyota etc. when they are making the majority of their vehicles in the states is. And I won't buy american if i don't stand by said american company. GM and chrysler are two examples
Old 06-18-19, 07:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 250 Posts

I'll keep it simple and say I imagine the drop is related to "value" by definition. If you can get a Ford or a Dodge for the same price or slightly better and that brand is offering better interior & exterior cosmetics (true to my eyes), better reliability (potentially in both cases), better technology/options... why would you buy or remain loyal to GM? You're paying a premium for what may very well be an inferior product.

I find the exterior styling of the new Silverado to be really bad...whereas I find the new Dodge Ram to be really well-executed both in & out. I was recently a passenger in a 2016 Ram and was very impressed with the ride quality - and I believe the 2019 is a nice improvement compared to that. I've never been a big Ford fan in any of their vehicles but I know lots of folks who love their pick-ups and have had good experience. I think the GM & Ford rivalry will always be tight but think GM got lapped in the design by Dodge and it's showing in the sales figures. My $.02
Old 06-18-19, 08:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I'll keep it simple and say I imagine the drop is related to "value" by definition. If you can get a Ford or a Dodge for the same price or slightly better and that brand is offering better interior & exterior cosmetics (true to my eyes), better reliability (potentially in both cases), better technology/options... why would you buy or remain loyal to GM? You're paying a premium for what may very well be an inferior product.

I find the exterior styling of the new Silverado to be really bad...whereas I find the new Dodge Ram to be really well-executed both in & out. I was recently a passenger in a 2016 Ram and was very impressed with the ride quality - and I believe the 2019 is a nice improvement compared to that. I've never been a big Ford fan in any of their vehicles but I know lots of folks who love their pick-ups and have had good experience. I think the GM & Ford rivalry will always be tight but think GM got lapped in the design by Dodge and it's showing in the sales figures. My $.02

Yes, among full-size pickups, the Ram definitely sets the standard for riding comfort/quietness. But reliability is a significant issue.....I know people who won't even consider one because of the problem-rates they have.
Old 06-19-19, 05:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Interiors on the $65k+ MSRP Trims:

Chevys "Redesigned" Interior on Silverado
Old 06-19-19, 06:03 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

If anyone is considering the Ram, now is the time to buy. The almost $70k Limiteds are selling for little over $50K (due to dealer discounts and Ram’s 15-20% rebate off existing stock).
2020s must be right around the corner!
Old 06-19-19, 06:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Interiors on the $65k+ MSRP Trims: Chevys "Redesigned" Interior on Silverado
So what's your point? All you did was post a bunch of images without any comments or explanation.
Old 06-19-19, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Interiors on the $65k+ MSRP Trims:

Chevys "Redesigned" Interior on Silverado

Wow. Now for context. I can see how bad the new GM center stack is. The 2018 dash looks newer.
Old 06-19-19, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what's your point? All you did was post a bunch of images without any comments or explanation.
a little less critical please? I think the post was informative by showing the different interiors side by side. It kind of speaks for itself for most people i expect.

the ram looks like a luxury space ship compared to the walmart interiors of the others.
Old 06-19-19, 06:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It kind of speaks for itself for most people i expect.
Pretty much. While I do like the new GM trucks, it is obvious that the new trucks are not the best in class..

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the ram looks like a luxury space ship compared to the walmart interiors of the others.
Yup, looks like a luxury interior. BUT, at the end of the day, a truck is supposed to be a truck.
Old 06-19-19, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
If anyone is considering the Ram, now is the time to buy. The almost $70k Limiteds are selling for little over $50K (due to dealer discounts and Ram’s 15-20% rebate off existing stock).
2020s must be right around the corner!
yes got mine for $18k off last week for a 67.5k MSRPer
Old 06-19-19, 06:45 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

yes got mine for $18k off last week for a 67.5k MSRPer
Nice! If that deal was available few months ago, I would be driving a new Ram right now. However, due to change in employment, decided to keep my old Tundra for occasional hauling of “stuff” and drive my beater Honda Fit to jobsite(s) - 40 mile away.

Quick Reply: GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3