Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Saw a new Sierra Denali on the road yesterday. Had a nice road presence - once I got in front of it I looked at the grille for a while and didn't find it anywhere near as bad as the Silverado. I actually liked the look of the Denali.
I haven't actually driven a Denali, but, from what I've read in reviews, it is more comfortable on the road than the somewhat stiff-riding Silverado, and almost as smooth as recent Ram 1500s.
Old 06-20-19, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. Give me an idea of something that would need to be hauled? Just rent a truck for those moments. Or rent a big van for those even larger moments.
That's true, Jill, for people who only infrequently carry significant loads....one might (?) be able to get by with rentals. But many people are in business for themselves, are handymen/handywomen, need to haul firewood regularly in the wintertime for their homes/farms, or have other reasons why they (regularly) need the load-capacity of a pick-up bed. And reserving a rental, picking it up/returning it, having to sweep it out after use if it is dirty, making sure one has insurance on it if there is an accident, and a number of other factors can make a rental a PITA.
Old 06-21-19, 05:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Ram Limited interior is just as good as a luxury car, it has a bed, it can tow, and a huge cab and much more comfortable than a sedan. It eliminates the need for two separate vehicles.
Old 06-21-19, 06:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Ram Limited interior is just as good as a luxury car, it has a bed, it can tow, and a huge cab and much more comfortable than a sedan. It eliminates the need for two separate vehicles.
That is a fair way to put it.
Old 06-21-19, 07:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Agree and well said. Therefore, while you consolidate your vehicles, you should sell me your LC500 at a ridiculously reduced price..!
Old 06-21-19, 11:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Ok. Give me an idea of something that would need to be hauled? Just rent a truck for those moments. Or rent a big van for those even larger moments.
Because renting a truck several times a month would get irritating quickly?

I've hauled all kinds of stuff including:
appliances
furniture
building materials
camping supplies
luggage for extended vacations with the entire family
guns, ammunition, targets, etc for saturday morning shooting trips in the desert
all of my possessions when I moved into my home(and the same for friends when they've moved)
firewood
propane tanks for our rural property when they need to be hauled in and filled

But then you might pass me on a day when I'm driving to work and don't have anything in the bed and therefore assume "Oh, i guess he NEVER hauls anything."

Passing somebody on the road once doesn't tell you anything about what they use their truck for.
Old 06-21-19, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

appliances
furniture
building materials
camping supplies
guns, ammunition, targets, etc for saturday morning shooting trips in the desert
all of my possessions when I moved into my home(and the same for friends when they've moved)
firewood
Not only that, but RWD trucks, in the winter, even with traction control/ABS and snow tires, often need their empty beds filed wth heavy snow and ice to put weight on the rear wheels and give them some traction.
Old 06-21-19, 12:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

appliances
furniture
building materials
camping supplies

firewood

But then you might pass me on a day when I'm driving to work and don't have anything in the bed and therefore assume "Oh, i guess he NEVER hauls anything."

Passing somebody on the road once doesn't tell you anything about what they use their truck for.
Defensive much? Anyways, good for you. I am happy to enjoy your trucks. Lots of things on the list a full size SUV can haul as well. Anyways, Thanks for sharing all that you do with it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-21-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 02:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Defensive much? Anyways, good for you. I am happy to enjoy your trucks. Lots of things on the list a full size SUV can haul as well. Anyways, Thanks for sharing all that you do with it.
"Jill" let's knock off the personal commentary. You asked a question and got a detailed answer.
Old 06-21-19, 03:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

People that actually have a need for a work vehicle or to haul things buy cargo vans.
Old 06-21-19, 04:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
"Jill" let's knock off the personal commentary. You asked a question and got a detailed answer.
I apologize. I can see how my comments look bad, they were never mean to be hurtful or come off as personal. Hopefully Brettjacks is not offended. 🙏
Old 06-22-19, 12:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
People that actually have a need for a work vehicle or to haul things buy cargo vans.
Yes because your life experience defines all experiences.

Come out to the west sometime. Trucks are everywhere on job sites. They typically have higher payload and tow ratings. Try pulling a gooseneck trailer with a van and see how that goes. Try getting into a muddy rural jobsite with a van that only has RWD. Or haul something that is not pleasant to have inside the cabin. I'm not loading garbage into the cabin of my vehicle to go to the dump.

I'm not sure why you aren't able to see how other people might have different needs than you.

@LexsCTJill You have nothing to apologize for.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 06-22-19 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 01:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes because your life experience defines all experiences.

Come out to the west sometime. Trucks are everywhere on job sites. They typically have higher payload and tow ratings. Try pulling a gooseneck trailer with a van and see how that goes. Try getting into a muddy rural jobsite with a van that only has RWD. Or haul something that is not pleasant to have inside the cabin. I'm not loading garbage into the cabin of my vehicle to go to the dump.

I'm not sure why you aren't able to see how other people might have different needs than you.

@LexsCTJill You have nothing to apologize for.
I am not saying there is absolutely no purpose for pick up trucks, but vast majority of owners only buy those menacing atrocities for manhood compensation.

The latest models of these trucks are so ridiculous, a CDL license should be required to drive them. Those two pictures speak a thousand words.

Old 06-22-19, 02:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I am not saying there is absolutely no purpose for pick up trucks, but vast majority of owners only buy those menacing atrocities for manhood compensation.

The latest models of these trucks are so ridiculous, a CDL license should be required to drive them. Those two pictures speak a thousand words.

I don't think that users on a forum for luxury cars should point fingers in regards to buying a vehicle you have no need for.

And most pickup drivers can handle their trucks just fine. You're just being vindictive against people you disagree with

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-22-19 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,365 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
i wouldn't say the vast majority, because the vast majority are actually used for work, construction, industrial, oil and gas, forestry, etc. but i get your point for a huge number of owners!

now that i agree with 100% - trucks have become ABSURD and DANGEROUS to everyone else... there's no way in hell someone driving a truck like that can see a motorcyclist, a cyclist, or a pedestrian in many circumstances. i agree they need to be regulated.

Quick Reply: GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3