Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
color is not the issue.

It is with some people. Many reviewers also prefer two-tone interiors. I agree, though, that is probably not the main cause of the Silverado's dropping popularity. There are, in fact several possible reasons....the Ram's sophistication and refinement being the most likely.
Old 09-03-19, 07:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Emergency refreshes from GM and Ford because of Ram. Ford is in the best position to improve their interiors by using their Lincoln designers who have hit it out of the park.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/09/...ind-the-curve/

This Is Why The GMC Sierra, Chevrolet Silverado Interior Are Behind The Curve

From the off, let’s get one thing clear – we think the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado interiors are just fine if these two and the Ford F-150 were the only three light-duty pickups on market. If that were the case, then no one would have any issues with the the cabins from the two GM trucks. The problems begin to arise when comparing the Sierra and Silverado interiors against the latest Ram 1500, specifically the mid- to high-range trim levels. Do that, and two issues arise associated with design and materials.

Yes, the interiors of both trucks are highly functional, but they lack the “wow factor” of the Ram, specifically as it relates to the design of the center console and the integration of the center screen. Lacking the “wow factor” negatively impacts perceived quality. What’s more, the high-end trims (LTZ and High Country on Silverado, Denali on Sierra) don’t have the materials to go toe-to-toe with the the Ram truck. While the lower trims are fine, the higher trims don’t offer the same doses of contrast stitching, colors, or high-quality touch points to keep pace. Now, there are those who think that, just because these are trucks, they don’t need to have high-quality interiors. But that kind of thinking does not line up with the market, since today’s pickup trucks are not only purchased for work. Instead, they are as much personal vehicles for the owner and the family as they are workhorses.

Looking ahead, GM will give the Sierra and Silverado interior a refresh in the near future, but how did we get to this point in the first place?

Some publications have stated that GM rushed the new Silverado and Sierra to coincide with the release date of the all-new Ram 1500 for the 2019 model year. These publications have suggested that interiors of the new GM trucks suffered as a result of that push.

We’re here to tell you that this notion is nonsense.

For starters, it doesn’t actually take much longer to develop a vehicle with a high-quality interior than to create one with a sub-par cabin, especially not for vehicles for first-world markets like the Sierra and Silverado. That rings even more true when said vehicles are developed over the course of several years.

No, the real reason the new Sierra and Silverado interior is less impressive than that of the Ram 1500 is quite simple: GM thought it would be fine.

To fully understand the mindset of the project managers, we must go back in time a few years to when the new T1 Silverado and Sierra were being planned. At that time, the F-150 was already out, with Ford’s big selling point being the switch to an aluminum body. Meanwhile, the interior of the aluminum-bodied F-150 wasn’t substantially better than that of the last-generation, K2 Silverado and Sierra, which were selling rather well and were liked in the marketplace.

So, GM’s thinking was along these lines: why make substantial changes to a cabin that already competes very favorably against the competition, while also being highly functional? The logical decision is to not mess with the formula too much, playing it safe to improve on the basics that would be liked by everyone – more space, more modern technologies (keyless entry, push-button start, new infotainment systems), more active safety tech (Rear Camera Mirror), improved in-cabin storage (cubbies in the rear seat-backs) along with great levels of comfort (like rear-seat A/C vents).

Who would possibly complain about all these improvements? No one. In fact, these features were already desired on the K2 trucks. GM added them, but played it safe when it comes to the overall interior cockpit design, staying close to the successful formula set out by the K2 models.

But what GM didn’t take into account was that the Ram would totally up-end the game. By not playing it safe to its prior formula, the 2019 Ram 1500 delivered eye candy galore via an all-new cockpit design, huge screens, a rotary shift mechanism, a panoramic sunroof, and some really impressive attention to details via striking colors, trim bits, and materials, particularly on higher-end trim levels. All these things pushed the “wow factor” – the thing that enables the very first impression when someone climbs inside of a vehicle – to new heights for the Ram. Meanwhile, the Silverado and Sierra remained roughly the same as the last-gen K2 models from a “wow factor” standpoint.

Had the Silverado and Sierra been the only trucks on the market today, they would have been perfect matches against the F-150 (which itself will be completely overhauled for the 2021 model year with an all-new exterior and interior). But Ram truly kicked things up a notch to a whole new level, while GM played it safe. Hence, a refresh to the Sierra and Silverado interior is coming, which has been described to GM Authority as being “top notch” by those familiar with the updates. Here’s to hoping that will truly be the case.
https://carbuzz.com/news/next-ford-f...e-never-before

Next Ford F-150 Will Challenge Ram 1500 Like Never Before

YESTERDAY BY JAY TRAUGOTT TRUCK / 11 COMMENTS

This goes beyond regular truck duties.

The Ford F-150 has not only been the best-selling full-size pickup truck in America, but also the best-selling vehicle in general for many years. This is quite an accomplishment that Ford fully intends to maintain once the redesigned F-150 appears beginning sometime in 2021. There's also no doubt the competition, specifically the Ram 1500, has also dramatically improved over its immediate predecessor, and Ford has clearly taken notice. The improvements, however, go beyond typical truck duties.

According to Bloomberg, who learned of this via inside sources who wish to remain anonymous, Ford plans to increase the size of the next F-150's touch screen by at least 50 percent. This means a 12-inch (if not larger) touchscreen that will also be capable of simultaneously displaying multiple functions, such as maps and audio controls.

Currently, the F-150 has an 8-inch touch screen, which now pales in comparison to the new Ram 1500's 12-inch display. Even Chevrolet was shocked by the extremely impressive new Ram, hence the just ordered emergency refresh that will focus specifically on interior improvements. There's no reason not to assume the touch screen will be a significant focus.

The new Ram 1500 has since surpassed the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 as the number two best-selling full-size pickup truck, behind the F-150. But don't think for a moment that F-150 designers will simply lift the touch screen design from the also new Explorer and call it day. Hardly. The Explorer's tablet-like screen measures at 10.1-inches.

Also, there's a strong likelihood the new F-150's screen will fit vertically into the center stack in a similar fashion to the Ram 1500's layout. Traditional *****, such as for volume control, and buttons will be located on either side. This massive screen probably won't come as standard but rather on higher-end models.

Chances are we'll see the next Ford F-150 premiere next spring or early summer – just in time for the first-ever summertime Detroit Auto Show in June. Production is slated to get underway around that time as well.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-03-19 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 09:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 11-23-19, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Watching the video and reading the articles (and my own experience from test-drives), there's no question that recent Ram products, with their reliability and ride-comfort (particularly the 1500) are responsible for some loss of the truck market share at Ford and GM. But, IMO, too much emphasis and hype is being given simply to the Ram for taking over second place from the Silverado....I don't agree with some of the conclusions being made there. Just as much of a factor (and perhaps more so) is that GM, for various reasons, by their recent actions, has ticked off a LOT of customers and potential customers, who are now simply looking to other brands. Added to that, of course, is the latest Silverado's Halloween-Mask front end styling, further driving even more customers away.
Old 11-23-19, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just as much of a factor (and perhaps more so) is that GM, for various reasons, by their recent actions, has ticked off a LOT of customers and potential customers, who are now simply looking to other brands. .
RAM just has superior marketing and a much better interior. Either or can do the same thing as a truck.
Old 11-23-19, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
RAM just has superior marketing and a much better interior. Either or can do the same thing as a truck.
I'm not sure it's so much the interior as it is the Ram's much smoother ride....that coil-spring rear suspension and sound-insulation (instead of leaf springs like on most BOF pickups) really does its stuff, although, at GM, the GMC Sierra, particularly the Denali version, also has a smoother-riding suspension than the rather stiff Silverado. But, in general, I think both of the GM pickup interiors are well-done.....I don't agree that the Ram's, though impressive, is THAT much better. The Ram's biggest advantage is its ride comfort.

RAM just has superior marketing
I don't see where marketing sells trucks. Ads mean little in this category. The full-size truck market is simply too owner-loyal for that. For there to be significant changes in sales in this category, the reason is usually the vehicles themselves (not ads), and what the truck has to offer. Newer Rams, obviously, were able to appeal to those who were tired of bouncing on rough roads and were looking for more comfort.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Seeing lots of new Silverados around and I’m relieved that they look much better in real life than in pictures.
Old 11-23-19, 02:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But, in general, I think both of the GM pickup interiors are well-done.....
Compared to the RAM. Most people will say the GM interiors are absolute garbage. Cost cutting to its best. Just look at the deletion and absence of a height adjustment to the seat belts. The small screens.

PS: if you look at my past posts, I am a champion of the GM trucks. I like them. Even though the interiors are crap.
Old 11-23-19, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Seeing lots of new Silverados around and I’m relieved that they look much better in real life than in pictures.
wow, i don’t agree. Have seen a few around town and that flat ENORMOUSLY TALL front layer cake is just awful.
Old 11-23-19, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Compared to the RAM. Most people will say the GM interiors are absolute garbage. Cost cutting to its best. Just look at the deletion and absence of a height adjustment to the seat belts. The small screens.
Just my opinion, but, among full-size pickups, I think the Toyota Tundra interiors, in general, show the most cost-cutting and the cheapest materials. Yes, the Ram and the GMC Sierra (more so than the Silverado) are still probably the best overall, but I don't think the Ram's interior is as much better than the others as the article makes it out to be.....particularly with that rotary-shifter. Where the Ram really shines is in its road-manners.
Old 11-23-19, 07:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the Ram's interior is as much better than the others as the article makes it out to be.....
The RAM interior actually is better as others do say. It is far and away superior to the GM trucks. Ford comes next. Personally, I like the new GM trucks, but there is no doubt that the interior has some serious crappy materials and extreme cost cutting. Just look at the deletion of the height adjustable shoulder belts., GM has gone to a fixed one size fits all set up. The centre screen is small. Way to much hard plastic everywhere. It could of been way better. (But I still like them) they are intended for work.

Old 11-25-19, 06:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I'm baffled whey anyone would buy that monstrosity.

because they have a little........................

extra money and are Chevy loyalists.
Old 11-25-19, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

The RAM interior actually is better as others do say. It is far and away superior to the GM trucks. Ford comes next. Personally, I like the new GM trucks, but there is no doubt that the interior has some serious crappy materials and extreme cost cutting. Just look at the deletion of the height adjustable shoulder belts., GM has gone to a fixed one size fits all set up. The centre screen is small. Way to much hard plastic everywhere. It could of been way better. (But I still like them) they are intended for work.
with all that said/written, what exactly do you like about GM’s latest trucks?
Old 11-25-19, 07:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That's one area where Jill and I disagree. While it's hard to fault the way Ram now does their interiors (except for the rotary-shifter), I don't think the GM truck interiors, particularly on the Sierra and Denali, are as crappy as she suggests.
Old 11-25-19, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Styling does not bother me. Dodge RAM ain’t pretty to look at either. Tundra has the best looking front end IMO. I like the CHEVROLET embossed tailgate. The packaging is interesting with all the different engines etc. While the interior materials are pretty pathetic and the cost cutting present (fixed should belt height adjusters)....the crap plastics are still workable as this is a work truck, designed for work. The upper end is where it suffers.

Case in point, while the RAM has those sexy screens, to change the heated seats they are on a screen, whatever happened to the lame cliche of you can change the whatever you want “with work gloves on” etc etc. GM fits the bill for a work truck.

Not everything is so cut and dry. Sometimes stuff can be fun and interesting even though the interior is not best in class. Who is it who has that body on frame Crown Vic? Love those posts about fun crap (I think that was implied)

RAM and Chevy at the end of the day will get the work done. RAM has a best in class interior, but there are drawbacks of that best in class part.

Quick Reply: GM urges patience as Silverado falls to No. 3