Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW M division studying feasibility of a standalone model

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 09:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW M division studying feasibility of a standalone model

Almost ever since the BMW M1 went out of production in 1981, fans have had one question: When will the M division produce such a beast again? Not merely a scorching take on a BMW, but a standalone model of extraordinary capability. Thirty-eight years later, the question still hasn't been answered, but the drumbeat of intention continues inside BMW. Current M boss Frank Flasch told Australian site Car Sales, "We are investigating M variants that may also be stand-alone, that don't have a predecessor."

Note that Flasch qualified that a potential model may be a product of M division, as opposed to based on a BMW offering, but that is of course the primary interest for enthusiasts. Car Sales said it understands Flasch is the leading figure behind the exploratory push, but the exec wouldn't be drawn out on what kind of variants, nor how many, that M is investigating. The outlet said another source mentioned that with the studies being in "a very early phase," multiple body styles as well as powertrains are still on the table.

We know M's engineers have toyed with something supercar-ish at least since the first BMW 8 Series, when a prototype M8 fitted with the BMW V12 that slotted into the McLaren F1 never saw the light of day. Media probing of M execs about an M-brand supercar or hypercar has intensified over the past 10 years, ever since Mercedes-AMG launched its first original product, the SLS AMG. BMWBlog flirted with the topic when it interviewed then-M boss Kay Segler in 2011. Segler responded, "When you lead, you don't look left and right."

In 2013, Auto Express reported that an M1 supercar would show as soon as 2016. That car was said to be in development for more than 11 years, and then-M honcho Friedrich Nitschke said, "The decision on developing this car is open. We'd love to do it." In 2015, then-M boss Frank van Meel deflected the question of a supercar with, "I think everyone at BMW M wants to build a supercar, but it is more important to go ahead with our planned new models. Right now, we are more than happy with the i8 as BMW's halo car." He repeated that position in 2017.

By last year, the idea of a supercar based on the i8 had gained enough traction in Munich that BMW's R&D boss talked up the idea at the Paris Motor Show. The idea's floated around BMW since 2013, and Flasch told Car Sales that the R&D exec supports the current investigation into something more for M. If an original M model does come, it sounds like it will tend to the super instead of the hyper end of things. Flasch said of a hypercar, "From a brand perspective it is not needed; M is strong as it is. Economically, hypercar projects are always difficult, and so the prerequisites to turn such a project into reality are obviously very difficult, but I would not rule it out."

In 2022, the M department will celebrate its 50th anniversary as an independent company. The safe money is on seeing something special then.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/18/...ndalone-model/
Old 06-25-19, 08:01 AM
Hoovey689

Default BMW Vision M Next concept

The way forward for BMW M

Today marks the next step in BMW's "Next" concept program, previewing the company's future. It's the most exciting step, too, because this particular concept is called the BMW Vision M Next. As this "Next" ground is still relatively untrodden, we'll make it clear that M means the same thing here as it does for every BMW M car. This particular firecracker is meant to give us a taste of what's coming to BMW's M division, electrification and all.

The shape and stature of the car instantly screams i8 at us. However, the actual design and styling is new and unique to itself. More than anything, it looks like a worthy evolution of the i8, previewed in concept form. When we get to the powertrain details, it sounds even more like such a vehicle. BMW didn't make it a fully electric car. Instead, it's a plug-in hybrid with a turbocharged four-cylinder drinking gasoline. We aren't privy to the engine's specs, but BMW says the combined system output is 600 horsepower. That's good for 0-62 mph in 3.0 seconds and a top speed of 186 mph. Recalling the i8, that car has a turbocharged three-cylinder combined with an electric motor that makes 369 horsepower in total. The M Next is capable of driving 62 miles electric-only on a full charge, while the i8 is only capable of 18 miles. Needless to say, the M Next is a huge step forward in every way.

BMW likes to use a lot of colorful language to explain and detail its styling decisions, but we can stick to the important stuff. Those kidney grilles are rather eye-catching. Even though it may not look it at first glance, they're blanked off with a transparent layer of bodywork. The pattern visible in the grille was actually laser-etched in there, and is also illuminated. Fancy stuff. Another interesting bit is the headlight technology. BMW calls it "Laser Wire" lighting. Glass fibers coated with phosphorous are used to produce the elements, which results in an extremely thin form that we see with one stacked on top of each other. BMW used the same tech to create the taillights, and you'll notice floating BMW roundels floating inside the element, too. The rear "window" design is meant to remind of the BMW M1, which happens to be a glorious car design to take inspiration from. In the M Next's case, the three-piece louvres are made of glass. We'd be remiss if we didn't mention all the glorious orange used throughout the car. BMW calls it "Thrilling Orange," and it's thrilling indeed.

Also worthy of discussion is the rather spartan and technology-infused interior. We're not so sure about the design from the photos BMW provided us with, but make your own judgments. There are three displays, all directly in front of the driver. Massive infotainment screens need not apply in the M Next. The first display comprises two tiny screens on the steering wheel, followed by a curved glass display where one would expect an instrument cluster. Finally, an AR (augmented reality) head-up display stretches across part of the windshield to offer even more information at a glance. The point here is to make all the displays fall in the driver's line of sight. Whether that distracts the driver with display overload, or takes pressure away from looking to the center infotainment display is still up to the jury to decide. BMW does point out that it's opposite the goal of the Vision iNext, which attempts to make the technology accessible to everybody in the car.

One neat interior feature we'd love to see on today's cars is a gyroscopic cup holder. BMW says it's able to compensate for strong lateral and longitudinal forces, which would be great when you're trying to accelerate through an on-ramp with the morning coffee in tow. There's no indication of when we might see any of the technologies previewed in the M Next, but it could serve as a point of reference for an i8 successor or even a standalone M car.
Source
Old 06-25-19, 08:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,955 Likes on 2,489 Posts

BMW needs to rethink the styling here

Old 06-25-19, 11:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its too late, have you seen the new 7 series?
Old 06-25-19, 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

lol @ that double-kidney suv grille, just 'cause...

and yeah, the 2020 7-series grille looks flat stupid. awesome car though - just watched doug demuro's review.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-25-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 03:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Its too late, have you seen the new 7 series?
When I first saw pictures of the updated 7 series I seriously thought someone was joking and had used photoshop to exaggerate the size of the kidney grill and the grills on the sides to show how out of control big they are getting, I was shocked when I found out that it was real. Who thinks this is good looking? Why do designers feel the need to do this, it just look so stupid and ridiculous and when BMW does it then the rest follow. I hope this big giant grill, over styled front end trend ends soon because so many designs are ruined by it, cars do not age well at all that it has been applied to.
Old 06-25-19, 05:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Pure disaster.....designer should be fired on the spot
Old 06-25-19, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yawn. This is very boring stuff by BMW
Old 06-25-19, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Pure disaster.....designer should be fired on the spot
They said that about the [Chris] Bangle Butt but that became a thing for a while.
Old 06-25-19, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They said that about the [Chris] Bangle Butt but that became a thing for a while.
The Bangle-Butt, IMO, is just as much of a styling-disaster today as it was the day it first debuted on the 7-series. Didn't like it then....don't now.

Back to the current concept-design on this vehicle, I have mixed feelings about it. I don't particularly care for the design, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. And the light-magenta color is nice....a shade I've always liked.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 10:37 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 693 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Bangle-Butt, IMO, is just as much of a styling-disaster today as it was the day it first debuted on the 7-series. Didn't like it then....don't now.

Back to the current concept-design on this vehicle, I have mixed feelings about it. I don't particularly care for the design, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. And the light-magenta color is nice....a shade I've always liked.
Bangle wasn’t the designer of either of the two cars most associated with the Bangle butt, the E60 and the E65,
Old 06-26-19, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Bangle wasn’t the designer of either of the two cars most associated with the Bangle butt, the E60 and the E65,

I know that, but he supervised many of the actions.

BMW, at that time, also made a lot of other changes I wasn't impressed with, like I-Drive, thinner sheet metal, tinnier-feeling doors, and (seemingly) less-solid construction, although this is probably not the thread to re-hash all of that.
Old 06-26-19, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

As shamelessly stolen from Reddit

Old 06-26-19, 04:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
As shamelessly stolen from Reddit

Problem is we are heading to stupid big grills and busy exaggerated front ends like on that 2025 exaggeration and it could very well happen, people will still buy it because it says BMW on the hood.
Old 06-27-19, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Would love to see a new M1 supercar/hypercar. I cannot stand the i8.

Quick Reply: BMW M division studying feasibility of a standalone model