Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT4

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2020 Cadillac CT4

A few weeks ago, Cadillac gave us our first look at its new small luxury sports sedan in the form of the CT4-V. This was a bit unusual considering the company hadn't shown us the regular one yet, and the reveal is still off in the not-too-distant future. But we were lucky enough to catch a normal 2020 Cadillac CT4 parked at a local gas station completely and totally undisguised.

Based on what we know about other recent Cadillacs and their trim and design, this CT4 is probably a Luxury or Premium Luxury trim, since it has plenty of bright chrome and red taillights instead of dark gray ones. The differences from the CT4-V are subtle. The mesh grilles of the V are swapped for a main grille studded with small Cadillac badge shapes and the lower grille has simple slats. The little air intakes by the lower sections of the running lights are smaller than the ones on the V. This car also lacks the V's side skirts and wider canards on the edges of the front bumper. There doesn't appear to be a rear spoiler either.

While we've had a good look at the exterior of the CT4, we'll have to wait until the car's full reveal later this year to know what's under the skin. We do know that it will continue to use the Alpha platform shared with the CT5, Camaro and the old ATS and CTS. We suspect the base engine will be the same 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 from the CT5, which makes 237 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Since the CT4-V uses a turbo 4-cylinder that makes 320 horsepower and 369 horsepower, there might not be a V6 option for the regular CT4. The CT5's twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 makes more power and torque, so that's out, and the old ATS's naturally aspirated V6 made 335 horsepower and 285 pound-feet of torque, which would be uncomfortably close the CT4-V's specs. But we could see a V6 of some sort in an even more potent V iteration of the CT4 later.
Source
Old 06-19-19, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

D.O.A. This will not succeed in the United States.
Old 06-19-19, 03:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I agree. This is going to be priced at or above a comparably equipped BMW or MB, and only Caddy traditionalists will care.

I just read that the CT6--that car that's on the chopping block in the US, is getting a $7000 base price increase because they are eliminating the RWD only 2.0T option.

I just want to wish you good luck, Caddy, we're all counting on you.
Old 06-19-19, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is going to be priced at or above a comparably equipped BMW or MB, and only Caddy traditionalists will care.
Depends on if it goes up against the Mercedes C-Class/BMW 3-series or smaller CLA (the 2-series is a coupe). The American-spec C-Class starts at 41K, and the BMW 3-series 330i sedan at 40K. Cadillac has not officially announced pricing yet, but according to Car and Driver, the CT4 is expected to start around 35K....a reasonable sum, IMO.

I like the fact that they haven't totally given up on sedans.
Old 06-19-19, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a shot of the CT4-V interior for the enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-19, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As most of you would probably expect me to say, I much prefer the CT5 interior.

Old 06-19-19, 04:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As most of you would probably expect me to say, I much prefer the CT5 interior.
I agree. The CT5 interior does look a lot better.
Old 06-19-19, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I couldn't find an image of the regular CT4 interior. The one I posted was the sport-oriented CT4-V.
Old 06-19-19, 04:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
It should; it's up a class from the CT4.
Old 06-19-19, 04:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Depends on if it goes up against the Mercedes C-Class/BMW 3-series or smaller CLA (the 2-series is a coupe). The American-spec C-Class starts at 41K, and the BMW 3-series 330i sedan at 40K. Cadillac has not officially announced pricing yet, but according to Car and Driver, the CT4 is expected to start around 35K....a reasonable sum, IMO.
No matter what, Caddy's going to over price it. And starting price is BS. Caddy does the same thing the Germans do--that price is for a stripped down version that virtually no one will want--if they can even find one built as a true "base" version.

I like the fact that they haven't totally given up on sedans.
I was being sarcastic. I have no faith that this car will be anything better than merely "good".
Old 06-19-19, 07:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not to be a Negative Nancy, but I agree. This is going to be priced at or above a comparably equipped BMW or MB, and only Caddy traditionalists will care.

I just read that the CT6--that car that's on the chopping block in the US, is getting a $7000 base price increase because they are eliminating the RWD only 2.0T option.

Will probably do well in China. I do like the interiors of each very much.
Old 06-19-19, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Will probably do well in China.
it's quite possible gm doesn't care that much any longer about making a big dent in u.s. luxury. the chinese market is enormous and gm is doing well there.
Old 06-19-19, 07:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's quite possible gm doesn't care that much any longer about making a big dent in u.s. luxury. the chinese market is enormous and gm is doing well there.
Pretty much that is where GM is gaining market share. I still think GM has the largest US share I believe.
Old 06-20-19, 08:51 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I wonder where Cadillac has their biggest market share in the US? My guess would be the bible belt and Midwest, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-20-19, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Of course GM is doing well there. In that market, they actually offer consumers a choice.

It's nice that U.S. customers are at least getting the CT4 and CT5 in the sedan field, but the loss of the CT6 is going to hurt those who like traditional big Cadillacs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-19 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT4