Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Why in a Lexus? there goes long term reliability, i would never buy a Lexus with a mazda engine. With news like this, i may never own a new Lexus again.
Never say never. You don't know what the future will bring. I have owned several vehicles that I never thought I would.
Old 06-20-19, 09:52 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm aware that this is just a rumor but I've got a good feeling that it's legitimate. Toyota and Mazda already have a great working relationship, their deal with BMW forbids Lexus from getting access to the Zupra parts bin, and they've already shown a propensity towards these types of tie-ups with Subaru and BMW.

I think you're going to see a lot more of this sharing in the next 10 years. Nobody knows exactly how electrification will go, but spending the money developing new engines and platforms is going to look increasingly like buggy whip manufacturing to the bean counters.
Old 06-21-19, 12:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Personally, I think it is the other way around. Rather than Lexus using a Mazda RWD platform, it will be Mazda using the Toyota/Lexus RWD platform. Here is my reasoning.

Mazda is small, with very limited resources, especially now that it no longer has big brother Ford helping it out. Yet, Mazda is spending a lot developing new internal combustion engines, especially the compression-ignition SkyActiv-X (4-cylinder) engine. We have already heard that Mazda wants to build Inline-6 cylinder engines (for use in RWD cars), which is theoretically easy by adding 2 additional cylinders to an I4 engine. With some incremental costs, Mazda has an I6 engine.

But will Mazda have enough resources left to develop a brand-new RWD platform (which are very expensive to develop) for a relatively small fleet of vehicles? I am not sure. Giant Toyota, however, already has developed a new TNGA RWD platform. Toyota, acting as big brother to the small, independent Japanese automakers, including Mazda (which it is already doing by sharing EV technology with them), could share its TNGA RWD platform with Mazda (or help Mazda develop its RWD vehicles using Toyota's RWD platform).

This Mazda-Toyota/Lexus joint venture RWD vehicle using Mazda's I6 engine and Toyota's RWD platform could then be shared by Mazda and Toyota/Lexus.
Jaguar is in the same boat with their Ingenium engine family. I4 to spawn I6.
Old 06-21-19, 01:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

If true, I don't take this as good news. Lexus/Toyota is known for their engines and overall reliability. That is a huge draw for many fans of the brand, including myself. I rather not see Mazda or anyone else muddy up their long-standing formula. It would make more sense Toyota sharing an engine with Mazda, not the other way around.
Also strange to make an announcement about a possible engine change taking place sometime AFTER the new IS debuts. The whole thing sounds far-fetched.
Old 06-21-19, 02:20 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i wonder if this means mazda will bring rwd non-miata to market.

could the mazda6 and SUVs go rwd like Ford Exploder ?
Old 06-21-19, 02:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i wonder if this means mazda will bring rwd non-miata to market.
That is the rumor, especially now that it's been confirmed that they're working on a straight six. Transverse-mounted I-6s are exceedingly rare, the Volvo S60/V60/XC60 being the only relatively modern ones I'm aware of. And a FWD-based car with a longitudinally-mounted I-6 would have a front overhang like a 1970s Cadillac.
Old 06-21-19, 05:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

The push towards electrification and autonomous makes anything related to RWD inline six cars difficult to justify from one manufacturer alone. This tie up could bring some more fun vehicles back into the lineup for Toyota not to mention Mazda. I'm for this.
Old 06-21-19, 06:21 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The push towards electrification and autonomous makes anything related to RWD inline six cars difficult to justify from one manufacturer alone. This tie up could bring some more fun vehicles back into the lineup for Toyota not to mention Mazda. I'm for this.
I agree. It would also be great for Mazda from a brand image standpoint. Mazda has been building great cars with reliable engines since their partnership with Ford ended, but many won't even look at a new Mazda because of what came out of the Ford partnership. And plenty of people consider most Toyota and Lexus vehicles to be nothing but reliable appliances. Mazda shakes its unreliable reputation by partnering with the most reliable automaker, and Toyota shakes the "boring appliance" image by partnering with an automaker that prides itself on the driver experience. This is a win-win for both companies on many different levels.
Old 06-21-19, 06:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
Lexus will introduce a new model to slot between the $64,750 RC and the $92,950 LC employing Mazda's architecture and engine. Best Car says the model will act as a "next car" for RC owners.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/20/...gine-platform/
Who here is willing to pay $80k for a rebadged Mazda? Or even a $60k rebadged Mazda? Is the TNGA incapable of being relevant and cost effective by 2026 and just a waste of everyone's time? So confused by all of this.
Old 06-21-19, 07:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

Toyota will not put their legendary reliability in jeopardy without fully vetting Mazda's engine if this alliance actually happens. Toyota wouldn't even entertain something like this if they thought it would hurt their brand.
Old 06-21-19, 08:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Jaguar is in the same boat with their Ingenium engine family. I4 to spawn I6.
Mercedes-Benz is doing the same thing, going back to I6 engines to be developed from their I4 engines.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Toyota can build fun-to-drive cars; they just have to try. The Camry on the TNGA platform supposedly drives and handles quite well. Even the previously wet-noodle Prius on its new TNGA platform handles surprisingly well.

I don't think Toyota needs Mazda to build fun-to-drive cars.

Originally Posted by situman
Who here is willing to pay $80k for a rebadged Mazda? Or even a $60k rebadged Mazda? Is the TNGA incapable of being relevant and cost effective by 2026 and just a waste of everyone's time? So confused by all of this.
Look at it the other way. Who would want a Lexus GS that is but a re-badged $30k mass-market Mazda?

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Toyota will not put their legendary reliability in jeopardy without fully vetting Mazda's engine if this alliance actually happens. Toyota wouldn't even entertain something like this if they thought it would hurt their brand.
Mazda builds the compression-ignition SkyActiv-X engine but it takes Toyota to perfect it?

Toyota builds the most-efficient -- both powerful and fuel efficient -- engines (Dynamic Force engines run at 40% efficiency, closing in on diesel efficiency). Toyota does not need Mazda for engines.
Old 06-21-19, 09:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Toyota has lost their damn mind why bother putting the corporate badge on some of their vehicles.
Old 06-21-19, 09:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Toyota already rebadges a Mazda. The entry level Yaris is a Mazda.
Old 06-21-19, 11:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota already rebadges a Mazda. The entry level Yaris is a Mazda.
So was the former Scion iA...essentially the same product.
Old 06-21-19, 12:52 PM
JapanTT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the way we can see the results of Mazda building a reliable I6 engine for Toyota might be by seeing how long the B58 lasts in the Supra. If the B58 can last pretty long with Toyota's quality control and testing of the engine in the factory. Then we don't need to worry about the reliability of the Mazda I6. I still miss Toyota built I6 engines, but we will see if this is a good business decision from Toyota or not.

Quick Reply: Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six