Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 06:40 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Getting Straight Six Engine From Mazda?

Lexus Getting Straight Six Engine From Mazda?
By William Mutugi

The next Lexus RC and Mazda 6 rumored to share an engine and platform by 2026.

Old 07-04-19, 04:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

When other car manufacturers are displaying electrified vehicles in their short-term roadmap (and releasing them today and into the next 2 years), I'm disappointed with this Mazda ICE news - and worse in 7 years from now? Granted these are rumors so we'll see...
Old 07-04-19, 04:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
When other car manufacturers are displaying electrified vehicles in their short-term roadmap (and releasing them today and into the next 2 years), I'm disappointed with this Mazda ICE news - and worse in 7 years from now? Granted these are rumors so we'll see...
Why so disappointed?
Old 07-04-19, 05:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why so disappointed?
Very little news on BEVs from Toyota Corp when competition is taking action, fast. Future plans on a new ICE in 7 years from now seems so behind with the times...
Old 07-04-19, 05:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Very little news on BEVs from Toyota Corp when competition is taking action, fast. Future plans on a new ICE in 7 years from now seems so behind with the times...
didnt TMC actually reveal what they are doing with EVs in next few years? ICE is also not going anywhere in next 20 years, so should they not invest into it too?
Old 07-04-19, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I don’t think there will an affordable electric vehicle for a long time for Toyota. ICE engines are going to be around for a really long time, there are something like 45 million cars sold each year worldwide, so the oncoming electric assault is going to be less pronounced. As Mazda, there are huge transformations coming to the auto industry, we are seeing that in Oshawa for GM and other such places in the US. So Toyota’s partnership with Mazda and Subaru have more to do with not allowing the collapse of the some of the players within the Japan automotive markets and trying to keep the Japan auto industry and doing well. It’s more strategic IMO. Toyota has the know how to make anything it wants. But the long term is still unknown.
Old 07-05-19, 01:45 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Why in a Lexus? there goes long term reliability, i would never buy a Lexus with a mazda engine. With news like this, i may never own a new Lexus again.
Lexus is never seeing my money again on a new car until they get rid of those ugly grilles.
Old 07-05-19, 01:57 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Why in a Lexus? there goes long term reliability, i would never buy a Lexus with a mazda engine. With news like this, i may never own a new Lexus again.
Mazda engines are as solid as Toyota engines. Toyota doesn't even have an answer to 2.5 Turbo from Mazda for example but that is besides the point. Point is none of them are engines that comply with premium badging including what's inside Lexus today. Besides 3.5TT and 5.0 V8, everything is subpar and non competitive. At this rate it will Honda/Acura who will have twin turbo V6 across the range before Lexus does.
Old 07-05-19, 04:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Meh... just wait until Lexus builds a car on KIA's platform with Hyundai's engine in it, that will be the bomb!
Old 07-05-19, 05:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
didnt TMC actually reveal what they are doing with EVs in next few years? ICE is also not going anywhere in next 20 years, so should they not invest into it too?
I think in 20 years, you're going to be in for a BIG surprise. Maybe ICE will be around, maybe not. BEV is the future. Tons of R&D money is going there, just like hybrid R&D money did. One thing is for sure; if new ICE cars are still offered for sale in 20 years, you can bet you'll be heavily taxed (penalized) for buying one. Sales of BEV cars are on the rise, rapidly. In 20 years, ICE will be the exception, not the rule.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/usa/
Old 07-05-19, 06:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I think in 20 years, you're going to be in for a BIG surprise. Maybe ICE will be around, maybe not. BEV is the future. Tons of R&D money is going there, just like hybrid R&D money did. One thing is for sure; if new ICE cars are still offered for sale in 20 years, you can bet you'll be heavily taxed (penalized) for buying one. Sales of BEV cars are on the rise, rapidly. In 20 years, ICE will be the exception, not the rule.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/usa/
If I can't charge the battery in 5 mins or less, it's a no go for me. And even if they can get there, how safe and reliable are the batteries? It will be neat if someone invents discrete solar panels for the car that arent ugly.
Old 07-05-19, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Producing BEVs is one thing....actually selling them is another matter. Tesla is the only brand that has been anywhere near successful selling BEVs (and it's hanging on by a thread, financially). Several other brands, including Fisker, have tried and failed. Outside of Tesla, EVs are basically extreme-niche vehicles, and will be until we get a widespread recharging system for them, which, for the most part, exists today only in California.
Old 07-05-19, 10:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Again, we're talking 20 years. Look where we were with BEV just 10 years ago, look where we are now, now imagine where we will be in 20 years. Follow the technology progression. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY thought that 20 years ago we'd be driving around 650 HP Cadillacs or 800 HP Dodges, certainly not 1,200 HP Veron's. In 20 years, you'll be driving electric Chevy Malibu's with a range of over 500 miles, or higher, with a battery that can be charged to 80% in ten minutes, or less. That's just where the technology is taking us.

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-05-19 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Again, we're talking 20 years. Look where we were with BEV just 10 years ago, look where we are now, now imagine where we will be in 20 years. Follow the technology progression. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY thought that 20 years ago we'd be driving around 650 HP Cadillacs or 800 HP Dodges, certainly not 1,200 HP Veron's. In 20 years, you'll be driving electric Chevy Malibu's with a range of over 500 miles, or higher, with a battery that can be charged to 80% in ten minutes, or less. That's just where the technology is taking us.

I agree that a lot of progress has been made in some areas, but much of what you are predicting is still going out on limb...........

Producing those long-range EVs is one thing. Producing the charging infrastructure for them is quite another. Can't have one without the other.
Old 07-05-19, 12:35 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that a lot of progress has been made in some areas, but much of what you are predicting is still going out on limb...........

Producing those long-range EVs is one thing. Producing the charging infrastructure for them is quite another. Can't have one without the other.
Funny, Mike, but we're talking twenty years. Look back 20 years and see how far we've come. Again, telling someone 20 years ago that you could buy a brand new Cadillac with 650 HP in 20 years would have been going out on a limb. Does that mean we'll be driving 1,500 HP Cadillacs in 20 years? No, BEV's will take over. LOL! I hate repeating myself, but again, follow the technology progression of BEV vehicles. Tesla was the question in which the big manufacturers will have answers to.

Quick Reply: Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six