Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Funny, Mike, but we're talking twenty years. Look back 20 years and see how far we've come. Again, telling someone 20 years ago that you could buy a brand new Cadillac with 650 HP in 20 years would have been going out on a limb. Does that mean we'll be driving 1,500 HP Cadillacs in 20 years? No, BEV's will take over. LOL! I hate repeating myself, but again, follow the technology progression of BEV vehicles. Tesla was the question in which the big manufacturers will have answers to.
Oh, like I said, we have indeed come a long way....I'm not disagreeing with that part of your statement. But a major roadblock, at least outside of California, seems to be the lack of an adequate EV charging-system. No matter how good Teslas (or any other EVs) get, or how much high-tech they have, it will do little good if we can't regularly re-charge them on a long trip...and I don't see very much action on the part of most jurisdictions to get the ball rolling on new charging stations.
Old 07-05-19, 01:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh, like I said, we have indeed come a long way....I'm not disagreeing with that part of your statement. But a major roadblock, at least outside of California, seems to be the lack of an adequate EV charging-system. No matter how good Teslas (or any other EVs) get, or how much high-tech they have, it will do little good if we can't regularly re-charge them on a long trip...and I don't see very much action on the part of most jurisdictions to get the ball rolling on new charging stations.
Charging infrastructure has to be a fraction of the gas stations out there. It only has to supply energy to the ones on road trip or emergency fill ups. The vast majority will simply plug in at home for their daily commute. I have no doubt the ICE is on its last legs. Just a matter of time now as the entire automotive model and landscape will change with BEVs. What will dealerships do when cars no longer need routine maintenance? Good riddance to dealerships.
Old 07-05-19, 02:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
If I can't charge the battery in 5 mins or less, it's a no go for me. And even if they can get there, how safe and reliable are the batteries? It will be neat if someone invents discrete solar panels for the car that arent ugly.
If you could charge your Tesla in 5 minutes, and you did so repeatedly, you will severely diminish the long term lifespan of your battery from 8 years down to just 4 years or worse etc.
Right now, for rapid refuelling and long range, the way to go is hydrogen fuel cell powered electric.
You can refuel your ugly Mirai very quickly, and you have a huge range, but because hydrogen fuel cell requires extra steps, you must be prepared to lose efficiency, speed, and pay a bit more.
A solid state battery with 5 minute high speed charging, and long range like 500 miles - is still a long long way away.

I think in 20 years, you're going to be in for a BIG surprise. Maybe ICE will be around, maybe not. BEV is the future. Tons of R&D money is going there, just like hybrid R&D money did. One thing is for sure; if new ICE cars are still offered for sale in 20 years, you can bet you'll be heavily taxed (penalized) for buying one. Sales of BEV cars are on the rise, rapidly. In 20 years, ICE will be the exception, not the rule.

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/usa/
Originally Posted by EZZ
Charging infrastructure has to be a fraction of the gas stations out there. It only has to supply energy to the ones on road trip or emergency fill ups. The vast majority will simply plug in at home for their daily commute. I have no doubt the ICE is on its last legs. Just a matter of time now as the entire automotive model and landscape will change with BEVs. What will dealerships do when cars no longer need routine maintenance? Good riddance to dealerships.
Statistically, something like 90% of trip are under 50 miles, or whatever.
Not only will the vast majority be charged at home, but the vast majority will be "topped-up" on a "daily" basis, as opposed to traditional gasoline refilling once a week.

The question is not IF, but WHEN BEVs will outnumber ICEVs.
When will BEV sales outnumber ICEV sales?

Will that be:
2020 - I doubt it.
2025 - I still doubt it.
2030 - I still doubt it?
2035 - This could be roughly the year???
2040 - BEV should have outsold ICEV by now?
2045 - ?
2050 - BEV should have definitely outsold ICEV by now.

It's not that critical to predict the actual year when BEVs will outsell traditional ICEVs.
What's more important is to realize that BEVs will outsell ICEVs in the near future.

As the traditional experienced major players like Benz, Audi, BMW and Lexus etc - who can both design & assemble motor vehicles properly, unlike Tesla - start BEV production, BEV sales will boom!

Thus, presently back on topic, there is still decent time for TMC to use Mazda RWD platforms and Mazda in-line sixes - though the sales of this type of vehicle will be greatly diminished due to increasing sales of BEVs - and that's the very reason why TMC is rebadging, as opposed to building their own motor vehicle, esp for cars like the GT86, Supra, and RC that sell in such small numbers.

As far as this thread is concerned, for TMC to rebadge Subarus, BMWs & Mazdas is presently a very very smart move - due to the electrification of the motor vehicle industry....

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-05-19 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have no doubt the ICE is on its last legs. Just a matter of time now as the entire automotive model and landscape will change with BEVs..
I do not agree. It will be just as costly to charge/drive your EV if not more compared to a gas engine as the future approaches. ICE have a really long way to go.
Old 07-05-19, 02:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do not agree. It will be just as costly to charge/drive your EV if not more compared to a gas engine as the future approaches. ICE have a really long way to go.
You can argue with my electric bill of $500 per year for 15k miles vs my Is350 of roughly $3k using premium. My 2yr expected maintenance on my Model 3 will be $200. My IS350 total maintenance was roughly $2k in that same period. My purchase price of the model 3 was $55k (with rebates) vs $50k for my IS350 and it completely annihilates my old IS in every performance metric.

So I can't agree with you on the cost of electricity vs gas as I have definitive proof that my running costs are significantly lower with my BEV.
Old 07-05-19, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You can argue with my electric bill of $500 per year for 15k miles vs my Is350 of roughly $3k using premium.

So I can't agree with you on the cost of electricity vs gas as I have definitive proof that my running costs are significantly lower with my BEV.
But what happens to the missing tax revenue from gasoline when more and more electric cars enter the marketplace. What happens when more and more electric vehicles add load to the electric grid? How does the state or area pay for the roads or manage the load infastructure?
Old 07-05-19, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But what happens to the missing tax revenue from gasoline when more and more electric cars enter the marketplace.

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of taxes collected on electricity.....at least here in the U.S. A large part of the monthly bills from electric utilities are taxes and surcharges/fees.
Old 07-05-19, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Don't kid yourself. .
Who is kidding themselves? I don't get it.

There are plenty of taxes collected on electricity.....at least here in the U.S. A large part of the monthly bills from electric utilities are taxes and surcharges/fees.
The taxes and fees will increase as more people link their cars to the grid.
Old 07-05-19, 02:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of taxes collected on electricity.....at least here in the U.S. A large part of the monthly bills from electric utilities are taxes and surcharges/fees.
Yes.
Very true.
Plenty of new electricity taxes in the pipeline, else new taxes can always be created.
Old 07-05-19, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Who is kidding themselves? I don't get it.
What I meant was that government revenue from electricity will probably not be an issue....they collect enough taxes and fees from it as it is.

The taxes and fees will increase as more people link their cars to the grid.
That's why hybrids will, IMO, continue to remain popular.....let the engine do the charging instead of the electric grid, although, I'll admit, one is paying for the gas the engine uses in the recharge process. Still, it's only a small amount of gas.
Old 07-05-19, 03:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What I meant was that government revenue from electricity will probably not be an issue....they collect enough taxes and fees from it as it is.
So are you suggesting that the government will not increase taxes on electricity to off-set the lose of revenue as ICE leave the the roads and no longer use gas?
Old 07-05-19, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So are you suggesting that the government will not increase taxes on electricity to off-set the lose of revenue as ICE leave the the roads and no longer use gas?
First, they might not need to. If you have a lot more people paying into the system, they are going to be collecting a to more revenue even without raising the tax rate per kilowatt-hour. Second, if they raise the rates anyway, they will have to answer to those who elect them. Third, we're getting somewhat off topic.....Toyota using Mazda-sourced platforms and engines.
Old 07-06-19, 05:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what happens to the missing tax revenue from gasoline when more and more electric cars enter the marketplace. What happens when more and more electric vehicles add load to the electric grid? How does the state or area pay for the roads or manage the load infastructure?
I think the more important question is; what happens to the oil companies? Don't worry about taxes, they'll be generated every which way.
Old 07-06-19, 03:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I think the more important question is; what happens to the oil companies? Don't worry about taxes, they'll be generated every which way.
Whatever happened to Kodak.
Old 07-06-19, 03:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Whatever happened to Kodak.
Good riddance.

Quick Reply: Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six