Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 10:22 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.motor1.com/news/355606/lexus-rc-mazda-engine-rumor/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motor1.com%2Fnews%2F355606%2Flexus-rc-mazda-engine-rumor%2F
https://www.motor1.com/news/355606/lexus-rc-mazda-engine-rumor/
Old 06-20-19, 04:13 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,684 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Is it just me or are these partnership seem backward?!? With the exceptional reputation and reliability record that Toyota/Lexus has, shouldn't they be the one building/outsourcing for other brands rather than the other way around?! I think of the Supra which is basically a BMW, the Yaris which is really a Mazda, the 86 … All these cars wear the Toyota Logo but are anything but, and now they want to use Mazda to underpin their Lexus image?! Seems like this is heading in the wrong direction and they should be rather be trying to build cars for other companies rather than the other way around. With some of the known glitches that BMW have, I am still shocked that they would let so much of BMW's DNA wear their logo.

But hey, what do I know about running a car business....
Old 06-20-19, 08:00 AM
evident
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

Mazda would be a great partner and would be able to help build fun vehicles
Old 06-20-19, 08:35 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,684 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ I don't dispute the strength that Mazda brings to the table, but it seems strange to rely of them for underpinning the soul of the vehicle such as the plateform and the engine. But I hear ya, if you are going to partner with one, Mazda is a good choice for sure.
Old 06-20-19, 08:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd rather a BMW engine than a Mazda engine. If the next IS has the B58 turbo six from the Supra, it will be a beast for sure. Frankly, Mazdas are painfully slow.
Old 06-20-19, 09:25 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'd rather a BMW engine than a Mazda engine. If the next IS has the B58 turbo six from the Supra, it will be a beast for sure. Frankly, Mazdas are painfully slow.
Lexus has a number of plans for the components from Hiroshima. The next Lexus IS is said to evolve from the current sedan, using a Lexus V6 but migrating to Toyota's TNGA platform. Best Car says the IS after that, perhaps sometime around 2026, will hop onto Mazda's new platform and use the inline-six engine.
Old 06-20-19, 09:28 AM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Default All-New Lexus RC Coupe Could Be Built on Mazda Platform, Have Mazda Engines

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/20/toyota-lexus-mazda-inline-six-engine-platform/

All-New Lexus RC Coupe Could Be Built on Mazda Platform, Have Mazda Engines - autoevolution https://www.autoevolution.com/news/all-new-lexus-rc-coupe-could-be-built-on-mazda-platform-have-mazda-engines-135323.html
Old 06-20-19, 10:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

The way of the world. Instead of each manufacturer spending millions to develop very similar engines and reap X amount of profit, why not have two manufacturers share the cost of development.

Like before... with some car brands. They used to make a different engine for each vehicle (like for example BMW M cars) now they just use the same engine across the lineups.

I think manufacturers are just now taking this a step further, especially given that car sales are way down. Manufacturers have to find new ways to maintain profit margins and keep shareholders happy. I think we'll see more and more sharing.
Old 06-20-19, 06:04 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Default Future Lexus And Toyota Models Going To Use A Mazda Platform

Lexus will introduce a new model to slot between the $64,750 RC and the $92,950 LC employing Mazda's architecture and engine. Best Car says the model will act as a "next car" for RC owners, but we can't tell if the magazine means a two-door or a four-door coupe; the article also says the Lexus model will compete with the Audi A7.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/20/toyota-lexus-mazda-inline-six-engine-platform/
Old 06-20-19, 06:13 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

First Subaru, then BMW, now Mazda? Toyota is one dirty wh0re..
Old 06-20-19, 07:16 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Why in a Lexus? there goes long term reliability, i would never buy a Lexus with a mazda engine. With news like this, i may never own a new Lexus again.
Old 06-20-19, 07:57 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, I think it is the other way around. Rather than Lexus using a Mazda RWD platform, it will be Mazda using the Toyota/Lexus RWD platform. Here is my reasoning.

Mazda is small, with very limited resources, especially now that it no longer has big brother Ford helping it out. Yet, Mazda is spending a lot developing new internal combustion engines, especially the compression-ignition SkyActiv-X (4-cylinder) engine. We have already heard that Mazda wants to build Inline-6 cylinder engines (for use in RWD cars), which is theoretically easy by adding 2 additional cylinders to an I4 engine. With some incremental costs, Mazda has an I6 engine.

But will Mazda have enough resources left to develop a brand-new RWD platform (which are very expensive to develop) for a relatively small fleet of vehicles? I am not sure. Giant Toyota, however, already has developed a new TNGA RWD platform. Toyota, acting as big brother to the small, independent Japanese automakers, including Mazda (which it is already doing by sharing EV technology with them), could share its TNGA RWD platform with Mazda (or help Mazda develop its RWD vehicles using Toyota's RWD platform).

This Mazda-Toyota/Lexus joint venture RWD vehicle using Mazda's I6 engine and Toyota's RWD platform could then be shared by Mazda and Toyota/Lexus.
Old 06-20-19, 08:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Why in a Lexus? there goes long term reliability, i would never buy a Lexus with a mazda engine. With news like this, i may never own a new Lexus again.
before the panic arises, i assume toyota to run this through their qc targets
Old 06-20-19, 08:25 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Toyota is picking up all the tech it can from suitable sources so that it can continue to sell models that don't make sense to develop alone. If the side effect of that is getting big sporty Mazdas to go with it, well, so much the better.
Old 06-20-19, 08:39 PM
evident
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts

Also... alot of rumors from BEST magazine don't pan out. Many of their renders of next gen models are totally inaccurate.

Quick Reply: Rumor: Lexus And Toyota Will Use Mazda Rear-Drive Platform, Inline Six