Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 05:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm even seeing a lot of new Mitsubishi Outlanders.
There may (?) just be some life left in Mitsubishi of America. Last week, in Car Chat, I did a rare MM write-up on a new Mitsubishi dealership that just opened up not far from me. Their dealerships have been closing at an astonishing rate.....this is the first new one I have seen open in years.

Personally, I'm not wowed by these or the new Explorer. They are excessive purchases that eat up lane space and gas, and don't do much more than what a mid-sized sedan can do.
Have you seen or test-driven a new 2020 Explorer? They have not yet reached East Coast dealerships, but are on the way.

If you think Explorers are big and wasteful, you should see my next-door-neighbor's new Expedition. And he doesn't even have the extended, long-wheelbase model.
Old 06-26-19, 05:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Saw a Telluride, looked nice, smaller than I thought but still a good size. I like new vehicles that come in ruffle the market/segment feathers some.
Old 06-26-19, 05:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

with the 2020 highlander redesign, and new Telluride and Pallisade, I would be frightened if I was Honda. Pilot is outdated now
Old 06-26-19, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Saw a Telluride, looked nice, smaller than I thought but still a good size.
Seems like many people who look at the Telluride in person (including me) come to the same conclusion....it looks smaller in person than in images. If the aim of the stylists was to make it look larger, in ads, than it really is, they certainly succeeded.
Old 06-26-19, 08:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The 3.8 V6 in the Telluride and Palisade isn't new, either, and isn't any more powerful than the Highlander V6. It also has a lower EPA mileage rating than the Highlander. The hybrid system in the new Highlander is not a carry over.
The 3.8 may not be new but at least, the Korean duo is giving people measurably more space. I'll take the extra space over that 1mpg difference in FE. The Hybrid is not carryover, but it is definitely a downgrade and I hope there will be a corresponding huge downgrade in the price as well relative to the current hybrid models.
Old 06-26-19, 08:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Seems like many people who look at the Telluride in person (including me) come to the same conclusion....it looks smaller in person than in images. If the aim of the stylists was to make it look larger, in ads, than it really is, they certainly succeeded.
The more upright boxy design and the minimum rake of the tailgate window certainly helps with interior space utilization despite the smaller outward appearance. It certainly embarrasses the RXL and current Highlander's 3rd row usability.
Old 06-26-19, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I look at the two new Korean SUV's as the "flavor of the month" editions. They will do well, but it's not too hard to create a successful SUV in a time when all SUV's are doing well. I'm even seeing a lot of new Mitsubishi Outlanders.
More importantly though, the SUV craze is cyclical, and will eventually taper off at a later date. Personally, I'm not wowed by these or the new Explorer. They are excessive purchases that eat up lane space and gas, and don't do much more than what a mid-sized sedan can do.
Midsized sedans can't cary nearly as many people nor as much cargo as a 3 row crossover. No way in the world we would want to make do with a sedan as a family vehicle.
Old 06-26-19, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The 3.8 V6 in the Telluride and Palisade isn't new, either, and isn't any more powerful than the Highlander V6. It also has a lower EPA mileage rating than the Highlander. The hybrid system in the new Highlander is not a carry over.
The 3.8 will be what holds people back. Out of the gate, less HP, less MPG, less tq but a large engine. This should of been a new engine for these models. I don't think Highlander has much to worry about. The two Hyundais do have a large cargo capacity which is good I guess

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I doubt most buyers of a mainstream 3 row crossover really care about the engine. I know I don't, and I'm also a car enthusiast. The engine is very comparable with what else is out there in the class.

Telluride is selling very well already, I think the Highlander does indeed have something to worry about.
Old 06-26-19, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The 3.8 will be what holds people back.
Don’t think so... from car & driver...

Under the hood there is a 3.8-liter V-6 that makes 291 horsepower and 262 lb-ft of torque with an eight-speed automatic transmission. In our testing, it motivated the Telluride from zero to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/telluride

7 seconds is fast enough.
Old 06-26-19, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I doubt most buyers of a mainstream 3 row crossover really care about the engine. I know I don't, and I'm also a car enthusiast. The engine is very comparable with what else is out there in the class.

Telluride is selling very well already, I think the Highlander does indeed have something to worry about.
It will matter when the fuel economy is average and the power ratings are lesser, and this is a brand new model. The size is an advantage however the new Highlander will be a bit smaller and will offer better driving dynamics. This is a good effort by Hyundai, could of been great if they came to market with a superior in-segment motor.
Old 06-26-19, 08:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,497 Posts

7.1 0-60 is certainly fast enough for most people but I can't help but look at the electric SUV offerings and think, 7.1 is downright slow.
Old 06-26-19, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Don’t think so... from car & driver...

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/telluride

7 seconds is fast enough.
Which is about the same for the Highlander (smaller engine, yet more power) which is in its final model year. The new Hyundai’s need to better than Toyota and Honda in every way, especially when a model is brand new to market

The size and comfort will be a good thing for these two models. Exterior styling is a positive as well. Almost 4Runner size interior cargo carrying. New vectoring AWD. It’s nice to see Hyundai finally start their MSRP on par with a comparable Toyota. Interesting to see both the KIA and the Hyundai start at the same price point.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-26-19 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 08:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

0-60 with 1-2 people in the car isn't the problem. It's when there is a heavy payload/towing that the engine feels lethargic or sluggish according to several test drives from some publications
Old 06-27-19, 09:33 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the Telluride is is a good looking ride. I’d like it to have more hp but it would be fine for the wife. I tried to have her consider it but she’s put off by the badge.
I think it looks to be same size as our second generation Pilot, which doesn’t look super big but has a suprising amount of room inside.

Quick Reply: Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market