Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 01:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Toyota's version of better driving experience is a stiff suspension. Easily confused the two by some, but not loved by many.
Thats not true. Better design with a emphasis on performance will help. The new Avalon is vastly superior to any Avalon in the past. It rides well. Not soft. Not stiff.
Old 07-02-19, 01:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Out of curiosity, I added the Atlas, Pilot, and the 2020 Explorer. I was not able to find the EPA Interior Volume for the Explorer, but had everything else. Also note that I fixed the CX-9 interior volume. Previously I mistakenly used the passenger volume instead of interior volume, as I did on all the others.

The take-away here is that there's a size for everyone.

Old 07-02-19, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Out of curiosity, I added the Atlas, Pilot, and the 2020 Explorer. I was not able to find the EPA Interior Volume for the Explorer, but had everything else. Also note that I fixed the CX-9 interior volume. Previously I mistakenly used the passenger volume instead of interior volume, as I did on all the others.

The take-away here is that there's a size for everyone.

Looks like with Toyota downsizing their HL, there will be just a spot for one more crossover. Will probably also serve the next GX
Old 07-02-19, 02:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks like with Toyota downsizing their HL, there will be just a spot for one more crossover. Will probably also serve the next GX
I don't know why you keep stating that they have downsized the Highlander. We don't have full dimensions. All we know is it's longer, has a longer wheelbase, has more cargo room behind the third row, has more cargo room behind the second row, but a bit less cargo with all rows folded.

An additional 2.36 inches in overall length for the 2020 Highlander comes mostly in the wheelbase, which adds a little more room inside and slightly easier access to the third row, but the Highlander remains shorter overall than most of the competition.
https://www.cars.com/articles/is-the...1420758036206/

The third-generation Highlander was already pretty big, but measured against competitors such as the Honda Pilot, it was actually a little small. For 2020, the Highlander has grown, adding 2.4 inches in overall length. Toyota says the added length benefits the cargo area, making the Highlander a more practical hauler for your stuff. And while it's not actually any taller than before, the new Highlander has gotten wider, which should make the cabin more comfortable for passengers.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...s-things-know/

The fourth-generation Highlander is 2.36 inches (60mm) longer than before, all in the cargo area to add even greater cargo volume than before. The second row can be slid an extra 1.2-in. further up to increase distance between the second and third rows.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/world-p...nal-auto-show/
Old 07-02-19, 02:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know why you keep stating that they have downsized the Highlander. /
Because it appears it is not going to be bigger than the current one. It’s gonna be tighter just like almost all other TNGA models. The HL will be downsize in the sense that the competition will be larger.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-02-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 02:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Sorry all, I just realized I'm dragging this thread off course. Back to the Telluride and Palisade.
Old 07-02-19, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry all, I just realized I'm dragging this thread off course.
Hey......welcome to Car Chat. We all do.

Back to the Telluride and Palisade.
I'm going to check out a Palisade as soon as the local Hyundai shops get them in. They have been shipped, and are on the way,.
Old 07-02-19, 02:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hey......welcome to Car Chat. We all do.

I'm going to check out a Palisade as soon as the local Hyundai shops get them in. They have been shipped, and are on the way,.
Im surprised they aren’t there yet. We’ve had them for a few weeks now.
Old 07-02-19, 03:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

they only sold less than 400 last month i think so it's just getting out there.
Old 07-02-19, 04:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry all, I just realized I'm dragging this thread off course. Back to the Telluride and Palisade.
This thread was a very good discussion comparing the Pallisade, Telluride and the Highlander as well as CX-9 and others. But whatever, we can just talk Telluride or Pallisade.
Old 07-02-19, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

so buy a Hyundai? Like I said, based on all your info you posted, Toyota is going after a different demographic than your need which is all about space. Toyota is targeting those who want style, and better driving experience from the past Toyota’s.
The argument is, is Toyota is missing the demographic? They aren't going after a different demographic, I'm the demographic (married, 2 young kids, high income, minivan alternative/replacement) the question is whether as a package it will hit that demo where it needs to be. Until I see one in person and evaluate the space, we won't know. I know that the CX-9 does not, and sales reflect that.

Remember, these vehicles are basically todays minivans. Space is really important, moreso than driving dynamics which again sales reflect. The Sienna is not "going after a different demographic" because its smaller than the Pacifica...its just not as well engineered for its demo as the Pacifica, which sales reflect.

I'd much rather buy a Toyota than a Hyundai, but Toyota has been trying really hard not to earn my business the last few years, so we will see.

Fitzgerald Hyundai in Gaithersburg has at least one. I may go look at it tomorrow.
Old 07-02-19, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd much rather buy a Toyota than a Hyundai, but Toyota has been trying really hard not to earn my business the last few years, so we will see.

So buy the Hyundai. Comes with more space. Less power. No hybrid. Same MPG and nice 60 series tires All for less $$$$ I do like new Hyundai and KIA models. In person they are much better than the outgoing Santa Fe XL. IMO, they feel more upright than cross-over. They are more upright which is nothing wrong with that. They look smaller in person than in the pics.... The new 2020 Highlander in the pics is not my cup of tea....Toyota seems to be going in a new direction with the TNGA set up, which I do not really like.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-02-19 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The issue is, as a Toyota fan I would like to be able to buy cars made by the manufacturer I prefer, but their design choices are making that really hard for me. I will, and have already, buy/bought competitors products, but I'd rather buy Toyotas.
Old 07-02-19, 06:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so buy a Hyundai? Like I said, based on all your info you posted, Toyota is going after a different demographic than your need which is all about space. Toyota is targeting those who want style, and better driving experience from the past Toyota’s.
You keep saying this. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it true.

Toyota Highlander is going after the same demographic as Pilot, CX-9, Telluride, Palisade, Pathfinder, Traverse, Explorer, etc.

Just like anything else, only one can be the biggest inside, and one can be the smallest inside. They are all chasing after the same demographic, but they may try and promote certain features above others. Mazda promotes better handling and driving experience; they do this at the expense of interior space. Honda promotes practicality; but this may not be the greatest driving experience. Hyundai and Kia promote "more for your money". Atlas promotes "German engineering."

But they are all direct competitors. Even though, for example, Explorer Platinum may try and punch above its weight class going against lux makes. Sure, a $60K Explorer may not be what a Pilot or Palisade shopper is looking for, but offering that trim level allows Explorer to also try and compete against MDX and QX60.

You are getting hyper focused on one feature out of hundreds to make this non-sensical claim that Toyota isn't trying to market to young, suburban, upper-middle class families with the Highlander. That just makes no sense at all.
Old 07-02-19, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

This thread was a very good discussion comparing the Pallisade, Telluride and the Highlander as well as CX-9 and others. But whatever, we can just talk Telluride or Pallisade.
It’s all good, my thread was simply to suggest the H/K newbies had an opportunity before the new highlander arrives, and with the pilot being a bit old now, etc. and so I certainly had no problem that we were discussing how the H/K newbies compare with established models or the upcoming highlander.

Quick Reply: Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market