Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Puma

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford Puma

Puma is back as a kitten-size crossover

Back in the late '90s and early 2000s, Ford built a really neat-looking little Fiesta-based coupe called the Puma. That car wasn't sold in the United States, even if its ad campaign memorably featured the late actor Steve McQueen digitally inserted behind the wheel of a Puma, the car taking the place of the Highland Green Mustang in Bullitt's driving scenes for the duration of the advert. It was all well and good, and only premature rust has worked to erase the original Puma from the hearts and minds of European driving enthusiasts. Until now, that is.

The Puma will be reborn as a crossover "coupe" in the near future, according to Ford. Apart from the headlight shape, there aren't really any design similarities to the '90s original, but the new car occupies the same segment — the small coupe segment is now the small crossover coupe segment, obviously. Ford will be building the new Fiesta-based Puma at the same factory as the aging EcoSport, the Craiova plant in Romania that originally used to churn out charming budget versions of the Citroën Visa called the Oltcit. But that's another economy-car history lesson.

While the original Puma made do with some sweet-revving 1.4 and 1.7-liter Zetec four-cylinders, the latter producing 125 hp, the new car features a more modern, downsized 1.0-liter turbo unit with a belt-driven, 11.5kW mild hybrid starter/generator companion that gives it a similar 125hp and in more powerful guise, 155hp. And while the '90s Puma coupe wasn't a packaging wonder, the great height and deep trunk floor of the new Puma affords it more cargo room, as it incorporates what Ford calls a MegaBox. That's an underfloor storage solution with a drain plug, and at least the name is fantastically '90s.

U.S. availability of the new Puma isn't on the table yet, but it would probably fit the U.S. model portfolio rather well, maybe even better than the Fiesta.

Perhaps Ford should have saved the EcoSport name for this car instead, as it might suit the design and engineering principles better. Re-using the Puma name has a similar effect as Mitsubishi naming its recently introduced crossover the Eclipse Cross.
Source
Old 06-26-19, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Let me guess. Made in China? Or Mexico?
Old 06-26-19, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Let me guess. Made in China? Or Mexico?
The article has already mentioned that....Romania.

Ford will be building the new Fiesta-based Puma at the same factory as the aging EcoSport, the Craiova plant in Romania that originally used to churn out charming budget versions of the Citroën Visa called the Oltcit. But that's another economy-car history lesson.
Old 06-26-19, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The article has already mentioned that....Romania.

I guess I should stop skimming articles. lol.
Old 06-26-19, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good post, Hoovey...an interesting vehicle.

I hope they do, in fact, bring it to the U.S. I won't try to read too much into just a couple of images here, but, comparing this to the now-dropped (in the U.S.) Fiesta, I think this is one of those rare instances where I would actually actually prefer the crossover to the sedan. The Puma appears to be a lot more cleanly-styled than the Fiesta, inside and out (actually has some Kia influence up front)......I never cared much for the Fiesta's looks or its cramped interior. The Fiesta's dual-clutch transmission (along with a similar transmission in the larger Focus), for several years, had a notable case of the Clunkies and a very high customer-complaint rate....we're not told in the article what transmission the Puma will use, but we can probably assume that Ford will not risk more complaints by using that dual-clutch unit again. Nor are we told if the Puma will have an AWD option like the EcoSport, but, again, given Toyota's mistake of not including AWD with the American-market C-HR, which would be one of the Puma's prime-competitors, I can't imagine Ford not offering it at least as an option. True, the Puma, at least from the images and its low, slanted rear roofline, looks like it won't have quite the same interior cargo room as the more boxy and upright EcoSport. But, of course, if that extra cargo room is a high priority, one can walk down to the other end of the showroom and check out the EcoSport itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I hope they do, in fact bring it to the U.S. I won't try to read too much into just a couple of images here, but, comparing this to the now-dropped (in the U.S.) Fiesta, I think this is one of those rare instances where I would actually actually prefer the crossover to the sedan. The Puma appears to be a lot more cleanly-styled than the Fiesta, inside and out (actually has some Kia influence up front)......I never cared much for the Fiesta's looks or its cramped interior. The Fiesta's dual-clutch transmission (along with a similar transmission in the larger Focus), for several years, had a notable case of the Clunkies and a very high customer-complaint rate....we're not told in the article what transmission the Puma will use, but we can probably assume that Ford will not risk more complaints by using that dual-clutch unit again. Nor are we told if the Puma will have an AWD option like the EcoSport, but, again, given Toyota's mistake of not including AWD with the American-market C-HR, which would be one of the Puma's prime-competitors, I can't imagine Ford not offering it at least as an option. True, the Puma, at least from the images and its low, slanted rear roofline, looks like it won't have quite the same interior cargo room as the more boxy and upright EcoSport. But, of course, if that extra cargo room is a high priority, one can walk down to the other end of the showroom and check out the EcoSport itself.
I honestly do not care if they bring this model to North America.
Old 06-26-19, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

...we're not told in the article what transmission the Puma will use, but we can probably assume that Ford will not risk more complaints by using that dual-clutch unit again.
I should probably add that the article clearly shows a traditional three-pedal manual-transmission. If it is not coming to the U.S. (where an automatic option is a must), it may not have a true automatic option at all.
Old 06-26-19, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

I like it. I think it would benefit Ford to have the Puma competing Stateside against the C-HR and HR-V (damn you Toyota and Honda for those names )
Old 08-23-20, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Should the Ford Puma come to the U.S.?

Given the excellent recent success in the U.S. of small B-Class crossovers like the Kia Seltos, Hyundai Kona, Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Encore GX (I myself have a GX on order), Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, Nissan Rogue Sport, and numerous other vehicles in this class, an interesting question arises whether Ford should bring over its European-market Puma, which would fit in nicely. The current (C-class) Escape is too large to fit in this category, and the minuscule EcoSport (which, in the U.S., is marketed as a B-Class but, in reality, is more of an A-class, or on the borderline between A and B), IMO, looks like crap, feels like crap, and drives like crap. In reality, it was first designed for the market in India, and was brought over here later, apparently as an afterthought.

The Puma, in size, would fit in right between the EcoSport and Escape, just as the Trailblazer/Encore GX fits in nicely between the Trax/Equinox and Encore/Envision. Given Ford's propensity, however, to name their American-market SUVs starting with the letter "E", the marketing people would probably have to come up with a moniker for that.

As you can see, the front end styling already has a strong similarity to Big-Brother Escape.

What do you think, folks? Discuss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Puma_(crossover)

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-24-20, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

An St version is also in the works:

https://www.motor1.com/news/437686/ford-puma-st-teased/

Ford Puma ST Teased Ahead Of September 24 Debut

Aug 06, 2020 at 4:31am
+

By: Angel Sergeev

The cat's pretty much out of the bag but Ford keeps preparing us for the premiere.

Ford first teased the new Puma ST back in May this year but, for obvious reasons, the company remained focused on other, more important activities for the next few weeks. It’s the beginning of August now and the automaker finally has another short teaser clip, previewing the sporty crossover ahead of its September 24 debut.

Published on
, the short video shows little details from the car’s interior and exterior and mixes them with the reactions of people, who were involved in the development of the https://www.motor1.com/tag/ford-puma/. It goes from starting the engine to a drive on a bumpy road with emotional sounds and facial expressions coming from the team that “helped make it.”

Gallery: Ford Puma ST Spy Photos

19 Photos

A forbidden fruit in the United States, the Puma ST is going to combine the excitement of a performance hatch with the practicality of a small crossover. The Fiesta-based front-wheel-drive SUV will receive the Fiesta ST’s 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder unit. It should be good for 198 horsepower (148 kilowatts) and 213 pound-feet (290 Newton-meters) of twist for an estimated 0 to 62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) time in the mid to high six-second range.
Puma ST: Spied And Rendered Ford Puma ST Rendering Previews The Crossover Hot Hatch

Ford Puma ST Spied Lapping The NurburgringWe’ve seen the Puma ST on tests a number of times and our artists even created an exclusive unofficial image (see below), unhiding all the little details. On the European market, once it goes on sale later this year, the Puma ST will be almost unrivaled in the small crossover segment. The only direct competitor we can think of is the Volkswagen T-Roc with the 190-hp (142-kW) 2.0-liter TSI engine, but it’s not exactly a performance crossover.

Source:

Gallery: Ford Puma ST renderings

10 Photos
Old 08-24-20, 07:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

One look at those pictures. NO.
Old 08-24-20, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
One look at those pictures. NO.

Can't be any uglier than the Prius, which has been here for decades.
Old 08-26-20, 07:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure if it "should" come to the USA, but given Ford's divestiture in sedans, I'm surprised it hasn't been offered here.
Old 09-25-20, 08:00 AM
Hoovey689

Default Ford launches 200-horsepower Puma ST crossover in Europe

Motorists in Europe are pivoting toward crossovers, too, so the definition of a hot hatch is evolving. Ford illustrated this shift with the new Puma ST, a city-friendly soft-roader that combines an evolution of the Fiesta ST's punchy engine with the high seating position buyers crave. It was developed primarily for the European market.

Power for the Puma ST comes from a turbocharged, 1.5-liter three-cylinder that sends 200 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque to the front wheels via a six-speed manual transmission. Ford quotes a 6.7-second zero-to-60-mph time, and an autobahn-friendly top speed of 137 mph. Alternatively, cylinder deactivation technology takes 14 milliseconds to turn the triple into a humble 1.0-liter twin in order to keep fuel economy in check.

Numerous chassis modifications make the Puma worthy of wearing the ST badge, according to the Blue Oval. Its steering is 25% quicker than that of the standard model, its front rotors are 17% bigger, and a mechanical limited-slip differential is offered at an extra cost. Engineers chose not to give it an independent rear suspension, but they made the regular Puma's torsion beam 50% stiffer after installing thicker roll bars on both ends. There's even a driving mode named Track that disables the traction control system, and a launch control function is optional.

Spotting the Puma ST in a crowded parking lot is relatively easy thanks in part to a front splitter, a model-specific grille, a sprinkling of ST emblems, and a roof-mounted spoiler. It rides on 19-inch alloy wheels. Inside, the front passengers travel on heated Recaro sport seats, and the driver faces a flat-bottomed steering wheel.

Ford dealers across Europe will begin receiving the Puma ST in the coming months. It will not be sold in the United States, where the standard model is not available due in part to its small dimensions. While some enthusiasts will undoubtedly rail against Ford's decision to keep the Puma ST away from American shores, it's very much a matter of perspective. Off-roaders on the Old Continent would happily trade this front-wheel drive pocket rocket for the opportunity to explore the great outdoors in the 2021 Bronco, which is not Europe-bound.

Americans who want to put a tall, ST-badged Ford in their driveway have two options: the 335-horsepower Edge ST, and the 400-horsepower Explorer ST. We wouldn't be surprised if the Escape gets ST-ified, too.
Source
Old 09-25-20, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I posted a Car Chat thread, not long ago, on the question of whether Ford should bring the Puma to the U.S. Didn't get many responses, but still, IMO, an interesting question.

Quick Reply: Ford Puma