Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW defends 7 Series grille

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 08:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW defends 7 Series grille

Polarising BMW 7 Series grille was a calculated risk, design boss confirms

BMW said it expected a massive backlash to its dominating, graceless 7 Series grille long before it brought it to market.

Admitting he had “noticed” and “been hurt” by the criticism of the enormous grille – which has sparked countless memes on the internet and social media – BMW design chief Adrian van Hooydonk says he understands why both buyers and the design community had been shocked.

“It’s more a 7 Series discussion than anything else and the backlash is more or less the same as we expected,” the Dutch designer said.

“The X7 was launched at the same time and that’s why it’s thrown into that discussion, but the X7 grille is proportional to the size of the vehicle.

“All the cars in that segment are typically quite big.”

In his defence, van Hooydonk insisted the car struck an awkward note because of the original design brief and because of different customer priorities around the world.

The flagship limousine launched this year with most discussions surrounding its grille rather than any technical innovations it might have had.

“The briefing we got was to make sure people understood the difference [between the 7 and the 5 Series] and notice it.

“When we launched the car [the 7 Series] it was quite smaller. The feedback we got on that was that people couldn’t see enough difference to the predecessor.

“On the 7, I understand that people can be shocked. I notice the criticism. I think in a way it’s inevitable. My objective is to do something that everybody likes but it’s not always possible.”

The strongest criticism of the car came from Europe, which, though important, isn’t among the top two biggest markets for the big limousine.

“The 7 has always been the hardest to bring the expectations of the entire world into one shape. The customers are very, very different in China, the US, the Middle East and in Europe,” he said.

“In Europe people don’t want to get noticed. They don’t like being asked what they paid for a car and they like things in black like a stealth mode.

“The rest of the world is the opposite. We tried to give the Europeans what they want as well but the strongest market for the 7 is not Europe.”

He also explained that this confrontational style of design might not be necessary anymore, though not through any new processes or ideas at BMW.

“For the next generation 7 our job will become slightly easier. It’s usually only in the 7 that these tastes are diverging so much.

“But the customer profiles will be less different in five or 10 years. People’s tastes are converging.”

But the beleaguered BMW design boss has had the last laugh on the 7 Series. It’s selling far better than the pre-facelift model did.

“The production has ramped up since the facelift. They’re very happy people at the factory because we’re producing more cars now than before the facelift.”
https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-defe...grille-119182/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 06-27-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 08:45 AM
Hoovey689

Old 06-27-19, 08:53 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a Buick.
Old 06-27-19, 09:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The new grills on recent BMWs is horrific. It just looks so out of whack and disproportionate. Kinda makes the predator Lexus grill seem almost elegant.
Old 06-27-19, 09:07 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Do not like. Smaller headlights and giant grill is not a good look.
Old 06-27-19, 09:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I blame Lexus.
Old 06-27-19, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

^^^ lol.

critics criticize but seems buyers are ok with it, or maybe like it being 'controversial'.
Old 06-27-19, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Big grills are just the norm now. Toyota, Lexus, Aston Martin, Ford, Genesis, Hyundai, Audi all do them. BMW and Acura are both on the rise

LOL

Old 06-27-19, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It's hideous,

China should not be dictating what types of cars/styles everyone else gets. Put a ugly big grill for the Chinese market version and do a smaller more attractive grill for other markets. It would look so much better if they did smaller thin headlights and a small thin twin kidney grill.
Old 06-27-19, 10:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by hoovey2411
big grills are just the norm now. Toyota, lexus, aston martin, ford, genesis, hyundai, audi all do them. Bmw and acura are both on the rise

Lol
hahahahahha

ha ha
Old 06-27-19, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

As I have said before, that grille combined with the headlights looks like a miserable expression
But if you search & look back at the old BMW models of the 60s and 70s, the entire front end is all grill, so this is hardly the biggest grill they have had ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-27-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Old 06-27-19, 10:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Aside from not being able to afford a 7-Series, that lone feature would cause me not to even consider the car. I don't mind the oversized grill on the new X7 and updated X5, but it's just too big here.

I understand the comparisons to Audi, Genesis, etc., but those large grills expand down to the bottom of the bumper; I don't find those offensive like here. Looks like a design element out of a villain's car in a DC comic.
Old 06-27-19, 01:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ lol.

critics criticize but seems buyers are ok with it, or maybe like it being 'controversial'.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Big grills are just the norm now. Toyota, Lexus, Aston Martin, Ford, Genesis, Hyundai, Audi all do them. BMW and Acura are both on the rise

And we will all grow used to this grille also. I remember back when Audi first came out with its Singleframe grille. Everybody criticized it, claiming that it would be the death of Audi, yet that did not happen did it? The large Audi grille was so successful that it was copied by Hyundai.
Old 06-27-19, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
And we will all grow used to this grille also. I remember back when Audi first came out with its Singleframe grille. Everybody criticized it, claiming that it would be the death of Audi, yet that did not happen did it? The large Audi grille was so successful that it was copied by Hyundai.
Yup, people get over it, and they'll wish for these days again, when the grill gets even bigger on future models. Circle of life

Quick Reply: BMW defends 7 Series grille