Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Even the newest BMW 3 series crushed by Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-19, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Consider if you have brand bias by yourself, you titled this thread "crushed"...did it really crush the BMW? And consider publication bias as well.
the article speaks for itself, they loved the g70 but not much the 3 series at all. i characterized that as crushed.

I can talk shop.... My father taught me a lot about cars and my husband is big into them. I can def hold my own. My sister had a recent BMW, but she has now gone to a RAV4
i wrote 'typically', not all.

If you follow the data, almost all data spec's point towards the BMW having superior spec data.
such as?

must be why bmw came in last in that motortrend comparison.

People have a really hard time accepting that BMW is NOT the brand it was in the 1980's and early 90's when it was growing....its much more now.
definitely not the same, but 'much more' huh? well, they're quieter, softer, roomier, and a much broader product range of course. not sure what you mean by 'much more'. the competition hasn't stood still, so bmw is not the standout it once was. great cars though.
Old 07-06-19, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

must be why bmw came in last in that motortrend comparison.
Compared to the BMW, the G70 came last in almost every single performance category. Every single one. For motor trend.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 08:15 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

. Not being sexist but i find female bmw buyers typically know NOTHING about cars but they feel a bmw is insta-worthy.
Funny you should mention it... One of my neighbors (female) has been leasing 3-series FOREVER. Few days ago we were chatting and the subject of her lease came up and she mentioned she's up for a new one within days. I told her
all about leasehackr forum, unicorns, loaners, etc....She listened in disbelief about how you can literally drive a 3/4 series for $200-$300 a month (her lease was mid $400). Another neighbor is a manager at local BMW dealership (lives 2 houses down from her) and she's been using that particular dealership for all the bimmer leases. Long story short - another couple days later, I talk to the other gent and ask if the lady picked up another car from him. His response? Yup - she stopped by on Saturday. All she cared about was the fact that the car was a 3-series and white. Nothing more, nothing less .
Old 07-06-19, 08:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

definitely not the same, but 'much more' huh? well, they're quieter, softer, roomier, and a much broader product range of course. not sure what you mean by 'much more'. the competition hasn't stood still, so bmw is not the standout it once was. great cars though.
BMW used to be a specific yuppie type brand in the 1980's catering to those who like a sporty drive. A life style brand. Men where the #1 target of a youthful age. BMW is now a full on luxury brand, BMW has softened up their mainstream products to make them more appealing to all walks of life. However, you can still find and buy pure performance if you want...This is what I mean about being "much more" Their dealership network is greater than ever. Product offerings are better.

It is interesting how CR, a magazine you and I both loath, ranks in mid-pack in CR.

the article speaks for itself, they loved the g70 but not much the 3 series at all. i characterized that as crushed.
Did they love the Genesis G70? Or do you love Genesis?

This is what they said:

The new BMW 3 Series is a fantastic sport sedan.
and....

Still, the G70 manages to balance both the sport sedan and luxury sedan side of the equation much better than the 3 Series.
Doesn't sound like it crushed it....(I'm done)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 08:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Did the love the Genesis G70? Or do you love Genesis?

This is what they said:and....
There is no doubt that bmw is a better company than Genesis, but the G70 is the better sports sedan than the non M 3 series. This in itself is a big deal for a company like Genesis.
Old 07-06-19, 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
There is no doubt that bmw is a better company than Genesis, but the G70 is the better sports sedan than the non M 3 series. This in itself is a big deal for a company like Genesis.
Apparently not in that article.

The new BMW 3 Series is a fantastic sport sedan.
How can the article make a comment like this?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 08:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently not in that article.

How can the article make a comment like this?
But they also said

"Still, the G70 manages to balance both the sport sedan and luxury sedan side of the equation much better than the 3 Series."

The 3 series so far has lost most of the direct comparisons thus far to the G70. It is what it is.
Old 07-06-19, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
It is what it is.
Yes, it is what it is.

Originally Posted by EZZ
It is what it is.
And what else is what it is, they compared a V6 G70 to the I4 3 series. Why not compare the I4 G70 to the V6 3 series? Why not?

My issue is more with media, and not the Genesis. Media publications are very very biased. Good for Genesis, it really is nice to see competition. We had a 340M for my work for a week, spectacular experience and it is not even the so called real M. We also had a 530e which is every bit as wonderful and reminded us of what Lexus used to be at their core, and vice versa a 540M (not a real M) and that was just like the 340M but was still smooth when it wanted to be. You can't got wrong with any of these models.. The Genesis products at the Square One mall, are very good as well. Not sure the G80 is really a luxury car, more like a higher end Hyundai, but the G70 and G90 are very nice. I like the updates to the new G90 at the Toronto Auto Show.....love the wheels the put on covering up the brakes like Maybach has done.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

well they did say this:

“The Genesis feels right,” Sébastien noted. “I prefer the way it looks, I prefer the way it feels to be inside, I prefer the way it drives, I prefer what its badge communicates, and I prefer seeing it in my driveway.” He’s spot on.
that's pretty much crushing it.

as for bmw's vaunted branding and their decades of pushing them to 30-50 year old white yuppies who drive like jerks...

Here’s one positive thing about having a Genesis badge on the hood of your car instead of a BMW one: People don’t automatically hate you.
LOL
Old 07-06-19, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

People have a really hard time accepting that BMW is NOT the brand it was in the 1980's and early 90's when it was growing....its much more now.
Thanks to the re-work of the steering and suspension systems, it's not even the brand it was a few years ago. The Ultimate Drive Machine became the Ultimate Jive Machine.
Old 07-06-19, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you looked at or test-driven a G70, Jill?
Old 07-06-19, 10:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ultimate Drive Machine became
It is now the "The Ultimate Driving Experience" FYI.
Old 07-06-19, 10:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

well they did say this:

as for bmw's vaunted branding and their decades of pushing them to 30-50 year old white yuppies who drive like jerks...

LOL
Sorry. No longer going to discuss it with you. If you can't see my POV. This is not even a 6 vs 6 or 4 vs 4.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 11:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

well they did say this:

LOL
That's me! Except for the age (too old) and yuppie thing (again too old). My wife might agree with the jerk thing - But I don't.
Old 07-06-19, 11:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That's me! Except for the age (too old) and yuppie thing (again too old). My wife might agree with the jerk thing - But I don't.
I'd rather someone drive their 3 series the way it's meant to be driven vs someone who drives their Vette 5mph below the speed limit in the right lane.

Quick Reply: Even the newest BMW 3 series crushed by Genesis G70