Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stopped and saw a 2020 Hyundai Palisade and a 2020 Ford Explorer today

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I actually liked the Blazer a lot when I saw it in person
Old 07-09-19, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I chuckle when someone declares a new model of a car an ‘insult’ to some prior version of said car.
reminds how pretty much every new gen of corvette that comes out has owners of prior gens ‘insulted’ and upset that various so called ‘traditions’ have been broken.

can’t make a good omelette without breaking some eggs.
Old 07-09-19, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I chuckle when someone declares a new model of a car an ‘insult’ to some prior version of said car.

Problem is......not everyone likes their eggs scrambled.
Old 07-10-19, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM is really hyping up the new Blazer. I've seen it, and for several reasons, IMO, I think it is an insult to the name and legacy of true Blazers. The new Bronco, while lacking the two doors of classic Broncos, at least has a true BOF truck frame and RWD/4WD, and is more respectful of the Bronco history. We'll see (and I've been wrong before), but my present opinion is that it will handily outsell the new Blazer.
It really depends. Not everybody will like the rugged feel of the BOF Bronco and really will only appeal to the 4runners and Jeep owners of the world. It will probably sell around 125 to 150 units a year at the very most. The Blazer much like the Highlander will appeal to a broader audience and sell in much higher numbers.
Old 07-10-19, 07:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Rumor has it there will be two Broncos. A rugged Bronco off the Ranger chassis to tango with 4Runner and Wrangler, and then this 'baby Bronco' which is likely softer despite gruff looks, I'd say some lower rung Jeep competitor.

Now if Chevy wants to have this 'soft' suburbia Blazer, and then some rugged 'TRAILBLAZER' I'm all for that
Old 07-10-19, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
It really depends. Not everybody will like the rugged feel of the BOF Bronco and really will only appeal to the 4runners and Jeep owners of the world.
That's just my point, though. Look at how well 4Runners and off-road-capable Jeeps sell. Now they will have some more competition.

It will probably sell around 125 to 150 units a year at the very most.
Disagree. I think you are way off. They will probably sell that many in a week....more, perhaps, if they can win over some 4Runner and Jeep customers.

The Blazer much like the Highlander will appeal to a broader audience and sell in much higher numbers.
I just don't (at least as of now) see it that way. Too many cooks spoil the broth. The market, right now, does not need any more crossover SUVs....it is pretty much saturated with them. It does need more traditional off-road capable SUVs that can also tow heavier loads than a typical crossover.
Old 07-10-19, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back on topic, has anyone on CL bought or leased a new Palisade or Explorer? In my area, they are just starting to reach dealerships now, so there are not likely to be many owners/leasees yet.
Old 07-10-19, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The market, right now, does not need any more crossover SUVs....it is pretty much saturated with them. It does need more traditional off-road capable SUVs that can also tow heavier loads than a typical crossover.
a (unibody) grand cherokee v8 can tow 7200lbs. plenty for most needs.
Old 07-10-19, 09:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

That's just my point, though. Look at how well 4Runners and off-road-capable Jeeps sell. Now they will have some more competition.

Disagree. I think you are way off. They will probably sell that many in a week....more, perhaps, if they can win over some 4Runner and Jeep customers.

I just don't (at least as of now) see it that way. Too many cooks spoil the broth. The market, right now, does not need any more crossover SUVs....it is pretty much saturated with them. It does need more traditional off-road capable SUVs that can also tow heavier loads than a typical crossover.
Sorry meant to say 100k to 150k lol.
Old 07-10-19, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The Explorer with 3.0 can tow 5,600lbs
The Aviator hybrid can tow 5,600lbs
The Aviator with 3.0 can tow 6,700lbs
The Jeep GC with V8 can tow 7,200lbs (thanks bit)
The LR Range Rover Sport can tow 7,716lbs
The LR Discovery diesel V6 can tow 7,716lbs
The LR Discovery gas V6 can tow 8,201lbs!!!!!!

UNIBODY is more than capable with the right powertrain, tow class / package
Old 07-10-19, 10:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Problem is......not everyone likes their eggs scrambled.
Well, (1) by definition, omelettes are not "scrambled" eggs--they are omelettes; and (2) while it is true that not everyone likes omelettes, or scrambled eggs, which types of eggs do you think that people do like that do not require the shells to be broken?
Old 07-10-19, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

'traditional' (body on frame) vehicles were the only option for decades and it's taken a long time for unibody vehicles to get strong enough for serious towing but they're certainly strong enough now, unless you're towing something really gigantic (a giant boat, a house, a very large horse trailer). unibody also offers MANY other benefits in terms of packaging efficiency, step in height, lighter weight, etc.

body on frame is dead except for major hauling.
Old 07-10-19, 10:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a lot of 4Runners in my area. I rarely, if ever, see them very dirty; I doubt all those 4Runner Limiteds in my neighborhood were purchased for off-road capability.

I'd actually say the same thing about Jeep Wranglers. Sure--a much higher % of those go off-road, but I see way too many of them for that many people to be using them for rugged activities, rather than just driving something "cool".

The bulk of Broncos will be purchased because they are "cool".
Old 07-10-19, 02:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

'traditional' (body on frame) vehicles were the only option for decades and it's taken a long time for unibody vehicles to get strong enough for serious towing but they're certainly strong enough now, unless you're towing something really gigantic (a giant boat, a house, a very large horse trailer). unibody also offers MANY other benefits in terms of packaging efficiency, step in height, lighter weight, etc.

body on frame is dead except for major hauling.
Off-road enthusiasts hands down prefer BOF. Better ground clearance, easier to modify and lift and reinforce, etc. It's one reason why a Wrangler easily outclasses a Grand Cherokee for off-roading. the old XJ Cherokees were unibody and were prone to all kinds of flexing and cracking when you'd try to off-road them.

I think there's a healthy demand out there for a BOF SUV. They're certainly not overrepresented in product lineups. Every manufacture has plenty of CUV's available. Time to finally throw off-roaders a bone.

Originally Posted by tex2670
There are a lot of 4Runners in my area. I rarely, if ever, see them very dirty; I doubt all those 4Runner Limiteds in my neighborhood were purchased for off-road capability.

I'd actually say the same thing about Jeep Wranglers. Sure--a much higher % of those go off-road, but I see way too many of them for that many people to be using them for rugged activities, rather than just driving something "cool".

The bulk of Broncos will be purchased because they are "cool".
Oh definitely, and thank God for those people because they help the product live on for the enthusiasts who DO go off-roading.
Old 07-10-19, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Off-road enthusiasts hands down prefer BOF. Better ground clearance, easier to modify and lift and reinforce, etc. It's one reason why a Wrangler easily outclasses a Grand Cherokee for off-roading. the old XJ Cherokees were unibody and were prone to all kinds of flexing and cracking when you'd try to off-road them.

I think there's a healthy demand out there for a BOF SUV. They're certainly not overrepresented in product lineups. Every manufacture has plenty of CUV's available. Time to finally throw off-roaders a bone.
True, BOF does make a difference...but perhaps the biggest factor in the Wrangler's off-road competence is simply the very high approach/breakover/departure angles. The Wrangler, particularly with large wheels/tires, can scramble over rocks and other obstacles that would significantly damage many other off-roaders, even with underbody skid-plates.

Quick Reply: Stopped and saw a 2020 Hyundai Palisade and a 2020 Ford Explorer today