Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GX 460 Gets Minor Facelift, Driver Assist Tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 06:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I quite like it, I think it looks really good actually. But then again I'm a huge fan of the GX. It's the last of a dying breed. (BOF, V8, real off road capability.)

They can slam the old powertrain all they want but it'll tick to 300k no problem while making all the right sounds.
Old 07-12-19, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Those are my own projections...
Ah, that would explain the uh, optimism.

With less than 11000 sold in first 6 months, you project over 15000 more for the second six months. Is that because of this ‘facelift’ do you think?

and you predict higher sales next year. I find that unlikely but we’ll see.
Old 07-12-19, 09:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you project over 15000 more for the second six months. Is that because of this ‘facelift’ do you think?.
Winter is coming.
Old 07-12-19, 09:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Ah, that would explain the uh, optimism.

With less than 11000 sold in first 6 months, you project over 15000 more for the second six months. Is that because of this ‘facelift’ do you think?

and you predict higher sales next year. I find that unlikely but we’ll see.
These are *everywhere* around Knoxville. And I mean seriously; it's pretty surprising because it's such an old design. I can't drive anywhere without seeing anywhere from several to ten or more.

I think Lexus offers a pretty sweet lease deal for these, might be why.
Old 07-13-19, 06:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
These are *everywhere* around Knoxville. And I mean seriously; it's pretty surprising because it's such an old design. I can't drive anywhere without seeing anywhere from several to ten or more.

I think Lexus offers a pretty sweet lease deal for these, might be why.
Yes. It is a unique design that you can’t get at very many manufacturers. The rock solid structure of a body on frame, (that’s fully boxed) is unparalleled IMO. Add in a V8. Full-time 4WD with a Torsen Center diff.....Lexus legendary quality and reliability....it’s a good model for those who want them. Glad Toyota offers cross overs and body on frame models across their mid to high price points for Toy and Lexus vehicles.

The bad: it truly is unfortunate that there is no Apple Car Play. A 3rd row delete would of been nice as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-13-19 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 12:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. It is a unique design that you can’t get at very many manufacturers. The rock solid structure of a body on frame, (that’s fully boxed) is unparalleled IMO. Add in a V8. Full-time 4WD with a Torsen Center diff.....Lexus legendary quality and reliability....it’s a good model for those who want them. Glad Toyota offers cross overs and body on frame models across their mid to high price points for Toy and Lexus vehicles.

The bad: it truly is unfortunate that there is no Apple Car Play. A 3rd row delete would of been nice as well.
Agree, but I don't think that's why people buy them, unfortunately. I think people walk in the Lexus dealer and just either want the badge or see attractive lease deals-- 90% of people that buy them probably don't even know that it's a real truck at first. I cannot emphasize enough how many of these you see around here. Which really surprised me at first because it's such an old design. I've never driven one but I've sat in one, it's dated inside but still very nice. Love the high seating position, it doesn't seem like it from the outside but you sit at least as high as you do in a Yukon in those.
Old 07-13-19, 12:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agree, but I don't think that's why people buy them, unfortunately. I think people walk in the Lexus dealer and just either want the badge or see attractive lease deals-- 90% of people that buy them probably don't even know that it's a real truck at first..
I don't agree. Toyota/Lexus body of frame SUVs sell because they offer an experience this almost impossible to get elsewhere. People who own these vehicles from Toyota and Lexus, like them and they provide high satisfaction rates.
Old 07-13-19, 12:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I bet most gx’s are bought by women who think because they’re big, up high, heavy, and ‘trucky’ they must be very safe for kids and pets and the price is ‘right’ and those buyers don’t even care about apple carplay, android auto, or much of any features. I know people who would NEVER use adaptive cruise is a car has it for example, they won’t use a rear view camera, they don’t care about blind spot warnings (turn off that noise!), etc. and those gx’s will NEVER tax the sophisticated 4wd systems in them.
Old 07-13-19, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've never driven one but I've sat in one, it's dated inside but still very nice. Love the high seating position, it doesn't seem like it from the outside but you sit at least as high as you do in a Yukon in those.
You really should go drive one. I highly recommend you try a 4Runner as well just to see the difference and how they feel, but same foundation. My 4Runner had the exact powertrain as the GX470 and our LX470, the V8s by Toyota are very satisfying. Excellent low end torque.....new ones are more separated form the power trains. That said, the GX has a rock-solid feel that is so worth it, if that is what you are after....the new GX has air suspension on the rear, adaptive variable suspension (that I believe is hydraulic) as well as KDSS....

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-13-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 02:00 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I don’t think the typical Lexus customer knows what body on frame is and more than likely will never take it off road. My guess and yes it is just a guess is that ~95% will be pavement queens their entire lives.

I believe consumers see the LX and/ or GX and think luxury and a step above the RX. If Lexus changed strategy and eliminated BOF, I don’t think sales would be impacted. Again, I have no proof of this, but many consumers just buy what they know and like the brand.
Old 07-13-19, 05:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You really should go drive one. I highly recommend you try a 4Runner as well just to see the difference and how they feel, but same foundation. My 4Runner had the exact powertrain as the GX470 and our LX470, the V8s by Toyota are very satisfying. Excellent low end torque.....new ones are more separated form the power trains. That said, the GX has a rock-solid feel that is so worth it, if that is what you are after....the new GX has air suspension on the rear, adaptive variable suspension (that I believe is hydraulic) as well as KDSS....
Yes, I would love to drive one. We plan to buy one eventually once the right one comes along. Looking for a 3-4 year old-ish with 50k or so. So it can last another 19.5 years lol. I really don't care about air suspension or any options really, other than having the wood package. Nobody does wood like Lexus aside from Bentley and RR. And most have that so I'm not picky.

But I can't say I agree that people seek out the BOF design, I don't think most people who aren't enthusiasts even know the difference and/or care. We all do here so that may skew it.
Old 07-13-19, 05:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't care about air suspension or any options really, ...
do all gx's have air suspension or is it an option? can't figure it out from the lexus website.

on a related note, i believe all lx570s have air but i can find no mention of it at all on lexus' website.
Old 07-13-19, 05:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

do all gx's have air suspension or is it an option? can't figure it out from the lexus website.

on a related note, i believe all lx570s have air but i can find no mention of it at all on lexus' website.
I do not believe so. I know that I do not want air if that's possible.
Old 07-13-19, 09:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not all GX models have it. Nor do all have AVS. The air suspension is not to soften the ride, it is to help level it when loaded or fully loaded. And to help level the vehicle when the vehicle is trailering something. It for the rear only.

My 4Runner has it. I was surprised to see my vehicle stay perfectly level when we have loaded it up with supplies for father when he borrows it, you notice then because the stuff he buys is so heavy. When loaded a trailer it also stays level. LX I think does not have it, the LX is electro hydraulic at all four corners

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-13-19 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not all GX models have it. Nor do all have AVS. The air suspension is not to soften the ride, it is to help level it when loaded or fully loaded. And to help level the vehicle when the vehicle is trailering something. It for the rear only.
thanks... lexus website is so bad... looks like the GX “Luxury” has it. Whenever i’ve looked at florida dealer inventories, no one EVER has the luxury version in stock.

LX I think does not have it, the LX is electro hydraulic at all four corners
Interesting, i would have thought it would have air. When i drove a gx and lx back to back many years ago, the gx felt a lot softer (nicer) with more suspension travel than the lx.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX 460 Gets Minor Facelift, Driver Assist Tech