Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TLX PMC Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 09:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Pebble Beach is supposed to be some kind of flagship sedan based on the precision concept, very little information about it but some rumors suggest a limit number 100K sedan, some kind of unique platform with unique hybrid or NG powertrain combo. They are also rumored to show a updated NSX with more power, some styling changes, maybe interior change. The sedan based on the precision concept and the RLX replacement may be two different cars.

The paint on the TLX is gorgeous(pity the body guy who has to fix it/repaint it), the price is actually not that much when you consider it is a fully loaded TLX and the paint job alone cost over 5K but they should have still added a few more things to differentiate it from other TLX's like unique wheels, lower it, unique trim, etc.
Great, thanks for the info. Very excited to see a new flagship
Old 07-12-19, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is a really cool thing. Hand built.....impressive.
why is so-called 'hand built' impressive? the car must still be largely built by robots.

Originally Posted by Freds430
Between my wife and I we have owned 12 Acura's and really enjoyed them. Thought I would stay with them forever. Moved to Lexus six years ago and no looking back. Something has happened to Acura/Honda regarding their reliability. The last two to three years we started having issues mechanically. Lexus is easy to track. Been #1 for eight years in a row in dependability by J D Power. We have not had one thing go wrong. Acura in 2014 was ranked 4th, 2016 8th, 2018 20th and 2019 26th. This is certainly an alarming trend. Would not matter the looks would never buy another Acura.
understand... yes, if reliability is paramount, lexus is the way to go!

Old 07-12-19, 09:39 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why is so-called 'hand built' impressive? the car must still be largely built by robots.
From past responses, Jill just really like's 'hand-built' ie AMG engines, regardless of how much a human actually had a hand in

understand... yes, if reliability is paramount, lexus is the way to go!
True, however those JD Power lists are a bit misleading because the gap between most makes is honestly not as big as the list makes it to be. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car that is not decent
Old 07-12-19, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True, however those JD Power lists are a bit misleading because the gap between most makes is honestly not as big as the list makes it to be. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car that is not decent
agree 100%

as i've written many times on here... if problems per hundred vehicles is 100 for best and 200 for worst, the 'worst' is technically 100% worse but is 2 problems per car so awful compared to 1? plus as always it depends what the problems are.
Old 07-12-19, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

p:
And why wouldn't someone find it impressive that something was hand built? Paying $50K, it makes things interesting and fun. I have no idea if it is "better" and I don't think I have ever implied that. A Rolls is largely hand built. I think the G wagon is as well. I think that any Toyota that has a JT vin is more interesting that those with a 2. I even read that the Palisade is made in Korea while the Telluride is made in the USA, for me, I would edge towards the Korea built model just for the sake of heritage if I was having trouble deciding either or. Some things are just interesting. But if you can't see this POV, then so be it.

From past responses, Jill just really like's 'hand-built' ie AMG engines, regardless of how much a human actually had a hand in
So. How much is the AMG is hand built?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-12-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And why wouldn't someone find it impressive that something was hand built?
i don’t know why they would. I think it’s an emotional scam.

Paying $50K, it makes things interesting and fun. I have no idea if it is "better" and I don't think I have ever implied that.
You said it’s impressive and now interesting and fun. It is none of those things to me. I didn’t say you said it was better either.

A Rolls is largely hand built.
Now there’s a good reason for that. A Rolls is ordered to spec with each unique. They have loads of different leathers, wood trim styles and types, and endless feature options. If someone wants a crocodile skin interior for their rolls they can probably get it. Automating that kind of production is impossible so there’s more hands on for trim, but still a lot of it is robots.

I think that any Toyota that has a JT vin is more interesting that those with a 2. I even read that the Palisade is made in Korea while the Telluride is made in the USA, for me, I would edge towards the Korea built model just for the sake of heritage if I was having trouble deciding either or. Some things are just interesting. But if you can't see this POV, then so be it.
i can’t debate what you find interesting, that’s your deal. I do know most consumers couldn’t care less where a vehicle is made or anything about ‘heritiage’ so in that sense they don’t find those things interesting either.
Old 07-12-19, 09:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You said it’s impressive and now interesting and fun..
How about: The hand built Acura is interesting and fun, that makes it impressive IMO.

I think it’s an emotional scam.
i can’t debate what you find interesting, that’s your deal. .
Well, you kinda are. You’re telling me you don’t think hand built is anything to you. Nor do you care about heritage. And that’s OK. I respect your point of view on the subject.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-13-19 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 03:57 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,151 Likes on 745 Posts

however those JD Power lists are a bit misleading because the gap between most makes is honestly not as big as the list makes it to be. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car that is not decent
So you are saying basically all vehicles are about the same in dependability and makes no difference if one buys a Lexus or a Fiat. So myself and at least ten friends that have had many Lexus's over many years and many miles all have not had any problems. Friends that have had the bottom of the list Jaguar, Acura, Land Rover, Jeep and Volvo and every single one of them have had mechanical issues. So in your eyes just a coincidence.
Old 07-15-19, 08:52 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Freds430
So you are saying basically all vehicles are about the same in dependability and makes no difference if one buys a Lexus or a Fiat. So myself and at least ten friends that have had many Lexus's over many years and many miles all have not had any problems. Friends that have had the bottom of the list Jaguar, Acura, Land Rover, Jeep and Volvo and every single one of them have had mechanical issues. So in your eyes just a coincidence.
There are key words in my quote and I didn't deal any absolutes. Bit's quote also backs it.

I have a friend with a current gen XJ, another with a newish MDX, and another with a current gen JGC, and none of those have issues.

Just because you buy a Toyota doesn't mean it will be trouble free, and just because you buy a BMW doesn't mean it'll be a lemon. Some stereotypes or potential issues with some makes will happen, there is no perfect car. But overall buy any 2019 vs 2009 vs 1999 vs 1989 and the newer will likely be better. There is an upward trend in quality.

Thanks for overlooking the original post

however those JD Power lists are a bit misleading because the gap between most makes is honestly not as big as the list makes it to be. You'd be hard pressed to find a modern car that is not decent
as i've written many times on here... if problems per hundred vehicles is 100 for best and 200 for worst, the 'worst' is technically 100% worse but is 2 problems per car so awful compared to 1? plus as always it depends what the problems are.
Old 07-15-19, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have a friend with a current gen XJ, another with a newish MDX, and another with a current gen JGC, and none of those have i

Just because you buy a Toyota doesn't mean it will be trouble free, and just because you buy a BMW doesn't mean it'll be a lemon. Some stereotypes or potential issues with some makes will happen, there is no perfect car:
These opinions are one-offs. My brother had his Elantra engine replaced under warranty (holds very little value)

The one off examples of “heard it from a friend who” also might of “heard it from a friend who” are not backed by third party data as well as resale data. There is a reason why Toyota or Honda holds value across their line ups, has nothing to do with how good their vehicles are, it has everything to do with their long term reliability. CR and JD are third party data systems (that have flaws) but they are more reliable than this friend who say their friend or other friend etc might had this or had that....”talk is cheap”.....”so the story is good”
Old 07-15-19, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

These opinions are one-offs. My brother had his Elantra engine replaced under warranty (holds very little value)

The one off examples of “heard it from a friend who” also might of “heard it from a friend who” are not backed by third party data as well as resale data. There is a reason why Toyota or Honda holds value across their line ups, has nothing to do with how good their vehicles are, it has everything to do with their long term reliability. CR and JD are third party data systems (that have flaws) but they are more reliable than this friend who say their friend or other friend etc might had this or had that....”talk is cheap”.....”so the story is good”
And it doesn't mean every BMW will blow up at 100,000 miles. Like I said, in 2019 it's hard not to find a decent car anymore.
Old 07-15-19, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And it doesn't mean every BMW will blow up at 100,000 miles. Like I said, in 2019 it's hard not to find a decent car anymore.
I don’t think any one implied that. While I don’t think BMWs blow up at 100K, I think it is impossible to deny that modern BMWs have a high cost of ownership. People have always had the argument of BMWs don’t last long, but I would say those are the people who could never afford them in the first place. For example, driving any car out of warranty carries risk. Some more than others. And some models within some brands definitely have longer design lives.

Disclaimer: I do know of someone who’s LS400 had a catastrophic engine failure in the 8-10th year. My guess timing belt broke.
Old 07-15-19, 11:29 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have given this car a Big Bump in HP. What's the point of this? The TLX is slow by modern standards and BORING.
Old 07-15-19, 11:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
They should have given this car a Big Bump in HP. What's the point of this? The TLX is slow by modern standards and BORING.
Can only do so much with the Accord platform. The Accord is super slow so the platform is highly limited.
Old 07-15-19, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Back to the Acura. Nice color, horrible name (PMC) lol

Quick Reply: Acura TLX PMC Edition