Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla drops Standard Range Model S and X, adjusts pricing across the board

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Tesla drops Standard Range Model S and X, adjusts pricing across the board

The cheapest Model S is now $79,990

Tesla has made it a habit lately to continuously adjust its lineup, adding and dropping model variants, adjusting prices and simplifying offerings. That continues today, as the automaker has dropped the standard-range Model S and Model X, leaving only the Long Range and Performance variants in the lineup.

"To make purchasing our vehicles even simpler, we are standardizing our global vehicle lineup and streamlining the number of trim packages offered for Model S, Model X and Model 3," Tesla said in a statement.

"We are also adjusting our pricing in order to continue to improve affordability for customers."

In practical terms, that means the cheapest new Model S costs $79,990 and the cheapest X runs $84,990. That's an increase of around $5,000 for the S and $4,000 for the X, albeit with greater range and performance over the old standard entry point. The Model S Performance now costs $99,990 and includes Ludicrous Mode, which has in the past been a $20,000 option (sometimes). The Model X Performance runs $104,990 and similarly includes Ludicrous Mode as standard.

The least expensive Model 3 currently listed on Tesla's website is the Standard Range Plus for $38,990. For that price, buyers get a Pearl White rear-wheel-drive car with the Partial Premium Interior. Bumping up to the Long Range Model 3 will cost $49,990 while the Performance will cost $54,990. Both of the upgraded Model 3s come standard with Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive and the full Premium Interior kit.

In China, Tesla's changes pushed the starting price of its Model X to 790,900 yuan ($115,068) and Model S to 776,900 yuan ($112,960). The automaker is also taking orders for the Model 3 in China, which have a starting price of 328,000 yuan ($47,690) and will be made in a brand new factory in Shanghai.

Earlier this month, Tesla reported a 51-percent increase in sales over the previous quarter. Of the record deliveries of 95,200 vehicles, around 80 percent were Model 3s.

The much ballyhooed $35,000 Standard Range Model 3 is still nowhere to be found on the automaker's website, seemingly still requiring a phone call to the mothership to order. And it's worth noting that these prices are correct as of today — with the shocking frequency that the automaker changes pricing, model availability and options packages, we have no idea how long they'll stay put.
Source
Old 07-16-19, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think the Model X will be a big loss. I was not very impressed with it myself. No manufacturer has ever really perfected the design of gull-wing doors that open upward, and the Model X is no exception.
Old 07-16-19, 11:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think the Model X will be a big loss. I was not very impressed with it myself. No manufacturer has ever really perfected the design of gull-wing doors that open upward, and the Model X is no exception.
The X remains in the lineup. They are keeping the Long Range and Performance models and dropping the standard range model.
Old 07-16-19, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Can anyone in minimum ONE sentence (without opinion) please tell me if Tesla is making money or not?
Old 07-16-19, 12:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can anyone in minimum ONE sentence (without opinion) please tell me if Tesla is making money or not?
They are not.
Old 07-16-19, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
They are not.
Thanks.....Hopefully those who own (likely lease) won't see Tesla go out of business.
Old 07-16-19, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Elon Musk sure is LOL.
Old 07-16-19, 01:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Thanks.....Hopefully those who own (likely lease) won't see Tesla go out of business.
Almost no one leases Teslas. They have really bad lease rates. They only just began leasing Model 3s a couple weeks back. Analysts speculate less than 15% are leased which is vastly different than the rest of the luxury market.
Old 07-16-19, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The X remains in the lineup. They are keeping the Long Range and Performance models and dropping the standard range model.
OK, Thanks...I didn't catch the part, at first, where the X, like the S, was only losing the standard version. Still think, though, that the gull-doors were a mistake.
Old 07-16-19, 01:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The dual hinge auto sensing falcon wing doors are a tech nightmare to make but very cool we'll probably never see a car with them again.
Old 07-16-19, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://business.financialpost.com/t...support-demand

Tesla Inc. cut the starting price of the Model 3 sedan in the U.S. weeks after a federal tax credit shrank in half, renewing concern over whether the electric-car maker can sustain sales with less support from incentives.

The Model 3 now starts at US$38,990, according to Tesla’s website. Arndt Ellinghorst, an analyst at Evercore ISI, wrote in a report Tuesday that the halving of the U.S. tax credit to US$1,875 at the beginning of July is causing the company to reduce prices to support demand.

“The key question remains — will Tesla be able to sustain itself given steadily declining ASPs and worsening mix?” Ellinghorst wrote, referring to the average selling prices of the company’s vehicles dropping as the Model 3 becomes a greater share of deliveries....
Sucks if you bought one and to now find out the price dropped.
Old 07-16-19, 02:43 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

https://business.financialpost.com/t...support-demand

Sucks if you bought one and to now find out the price dropped.
I lost a couple grand in a month. I can honestly say that its the best car i've ever owned though and the performance is unreal. Nothing Lexus has can match the car's performance. Not even close.
Old 07-16-19, 02:56 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

The Model S Performance I'd been speccing out and looking to get is 20K cheaper than it was (albeit the 20K prior charge for Ludicrous was never likely to stick) and the color I was going to get as a premium color is now standard. I think I'm going to push the button....
Old 07-16-19, 07:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
They are not.
mmm, while the company reported a loss for many many years, I believe recently, there was a quarter (or two) where they reported profit.

Anyway, this is interesting that the S and X had their short ranges removed, since I remember Elon coming out saying they were going to remove the long range of the 3.
Old 07-16-19, 08:46 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I lost a couple grand in a month. I can honestly say that its the best car i've ever owned though and the performance is unreal. Nothing Lexus has can match the car's performance. Not even close.
Using Lexus as a measuring stick for performance is not a high bar.

Quick Reply: Tesla drops Standard Range Model S and X, adjusts pricing across the board