Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19 | 04:29 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

The moaning over GM quality doesn't reflect the recent gains GM has made.

Old 07-19-19 | 05:50 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't imagine people cross shopping the lc500 and c8 peep:
Makes more sense than people cross shopping a Tesla Model S and a S Class Benz, but it happens. Let's see what happens to LC sales in the lead up and after the release of the C8. I understand that one is a performance GT and the other a sports car, but the customer demographics are the same.
Old 07-19-19 | 06:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
GM didnt exactly do a great job with the last C7, lot of overheating issues not just the Z06. I'll be skeptical of the C8 because of this. This car has the potential to be an early adopters nightmare considering the blemished performance of the C7 and this all new everything on the C8. Yea the C7 was cheap for the performance, but it skimped on some major things. I really hope they learned their lesson this time around.

GM really really really needs to hit this out of the park considering they are losing in other areas: Ram is eating up Sierra and Silverado sales wise, and the camaro is dead soon.

on the C7 if you didnt have the Z51 package and you tried to track it, it overheats especially if you have the auto. I would expect the same with this. Those coolers that Z51 gives you is a must. 60k spec would be good for putt putting around town and going to car meets, but not any track work.
Most Corvettes, 911s and other sports cars spend 99% time sitting pretty in a garage.
The ppl that track them are a very small %.

I do agree that New Vette will have teething issues especially with all new platform, DCT etc.
Thats the price u pay to be first one on the block. Right now is gonna be amazing time to jump on new C7.
Old 07-19-19 | 06:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You've driven the new Vette?
On paper and overall development - Vette seems to be FAR more advanced.
- NA V8 over turbo inline 6
- DCT over Auto
- Midengined over Front
- Interior details/ design/ colors over limited selection that Supra has

If GM can solve the QC issues- this can be a Supercar game changer like original NSX.
Old 07-19-19 | 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM didnt exactly do a great job with the last C7, lot of overheating issues not just the Z06. I'll be skeptical of the C8 because of this.

on the C7 if you didnt have the Z51 package and you tried to track it, it overheats especially if you have the auto. I would expect the same with this. Those coolers that Z51 gives you is a must. 60k spec would be good for putt putting around town and going to car meets, but not any track work.
Mid-engine designs, by their very nature, are more difficult to get good engine cooling than with the engine up front,....so that just multiplies the potential design problems.
Old 07-19-19 | 06:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

is it just me or has the C7 and now C8 have very lackluster wheel designs. Neither has just had that feeling wow those are great looking wheels. The ones in the pics look like some cheap design from the 90s

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mid-engine designs, by their very nature, are more difficult to get good engine cooling than with the engine up front,....so that just multiplies the potential design problems.
correct, another reason to be more skeptical. Although the new front is very venty. This car has the potential to be an early adopters nightmare. I'd give it at least 2 years for issues to get worked out.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the C7?
they touted the Z06 as most track capable corvette yet it overheated and went into limp mode frequently because of engine oil temperatures. There is an enormous thread on C7Z forums stickied about the overheating and potential hacks and fixes (almost 5500 posts and 650k views). Come to find out one of the catalytic converters is right next to the oil cooler, essentially making it an oil heater? The Z06 radiator oddily enough is the same radiator as the regular vette despite the large increase in horsepower and heat load. The radiator also exhausts its hot air right over the power steering rack causing the steering rack to overheat and go into a limp mode. It took them years to add another radiator (which didnt really help) to try to address cooling issues. The real culprit was the engine bay itself just was not getting enough airflow. Also the supercharger is undersized so at higher rpms the supercharger just pumps heat into the engine. Theres a reason why most factory superchargers are 2.3 liters. The Z06's is like 1.8. There is a reason the ZL1 camaro (same engine as Z06) doesnt have any overheating issues with its gaping maw airflow and same with the ZR1 vette. ZR1 has a supercharger greater than the 2.3 liters. None of this includes the 8 speed AT overheating as well in the Z06. Sadly enough the ZR1 still couldnt beat the Viper ring time despite 100 more hp and factory backed funding.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-19-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-19-19 | 07:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i dont see how they can call this the stingray. Stingray refers to the huge long hood with the bulge. Which is obviously gone in a midengine setup
Old 07-19-19 | 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i dont see how they can call this the stingray.
Why not? Chevy called the new "Blazer" a Blazer, didn't they? That shows you the mindset of GM marketing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-19-19 | 08:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
On paper and overall development - Vette seems to be FAR more advanced.
- NA V8 over turbo inline 6
- DCT over Auto
- Midengined over Front
- Interior details/ design/ colors over limited selection that Supra has

If GM can solve the QC issues- this can be a Supercar game changer like original NSX.
Some of the most desirable cars of all time didn't have great paper specs, that's why people proclaiming the new Vette as the best thing out there before anyone driving one is, well, odd.
Old 07-19-19 | 09:32 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

i don't imagine people cross shopping the lc500 and c8

Hi Paul.. I'm crossing shopping the LC500, Audi R8, Nissan GTR and NSX and now I want the C8 instead of the other four.

Edit: Maybe just say what the heck and get all 5 cars..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 07-19-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-20-19 | 04:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Hi Paul.. I'm crossing shopping the LC500, Audi R8, Nissan GTR and NSX and now I want the C8 instead of the other four.

Edit: Maybe just say what the heck and get all 5 cars..
Out of all the cars you are cross shopping I would take the NSX or the R8 even though they are more expensive.
Old 07-20-19 | 05:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

seriously, why would anyone buy a supra instead of this? i guess the supra though is likely to be a good bit cheaper.

i am so, so glad they kept (and enhanced) the awesome V8!
Agree!!

Supra has a lot to worry about even if the Corvette in reality will be a few bucks more. Extend this risk to encroaching on the NSX.. heck you can get 2+ Corvettes for its price!
Old 07-20-19 | 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agree!!

Supra has a lot to worry about even if the Corvette in reality will be a few bucks more. Extend this risk to encroaching on the NSX.. heck you can get 2+ Corvettes for its price!
^^^^ There's at least part of the problem. It's not that the Corvette is underpriced....it's that its competition simply costs too much.
Old 07-20-19 | 12:09 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Supercar package for $60K. Yes, most will cost a good amount more but it looks like you'll still have most of what one would want at the base level. When was the last time you ever saw a Corvette driving fast, LOL. Performance wise, the base car will be more than anyone needs on public streets, and more than most people could handle on the track. It comes down to what comfort features will be missing in the base car.

I think this spells problems for the already slow selling competition of sports cars. Is the Ford GT worth 7 Corvettes?? While the Ford GT has more HP vs base Vette, it's still just an Ecoboost V6 and you pay $450,000. It's absolutely a more exotic car but the price disparity is stunning. That said, these cars aren't necessarily competing.

NSX? I still have yet to even see one and how long has it been out?

I'm not sure who buys a $50K+ Supra and ignores this $60K Corvette.

I bet it takes GM a year or two after it comes out to catch up with demand.
Old 07-20-19 | 12:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Corvette has a very strong following and this new C8 will attract many new buyers that never considered buying one.

I expect it to sell in huge #s - one of the interviews from launch event stated that the Corvette plant will be running a double shift. Also with right hand drive, it opens up whole new markets.

Supra is in BIG trouble.
Corvette offers V8, DCT, driver focused cockpit a la MKIV, and TARGA roof!
Their design site site is really cool and you can start placing orders.

Here is my Build:

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-20-19 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)