Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 08:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the C7Z was cheap, the problem is you had to complete the engineering yourself with an assortment of aftermarket mods to fix its heat management. The price was too good to be true. That terrible job they did on the C7Z is why im really cautiously optimistic on the C8 on a completely new everything. Hopefully GM learned its lesson with the subpar job it did on the C7Z. GM needs this car to succeed because its losing the truck battle against Ram and the camaro is going to die. What else do they have?
Please stop with the wrong info.

Chevy fixed the cooling issue for 17+ Z06s.
This was only on issue on some 15/16 Z06s with Auto Trans that were being tracked. You make it sound that the car will over heat on a Sunday drive. BTW ZL1 has same motor and has never overheated. Therefore its not being “cheap” but mostly packaging constraints on Z06 equipped with Autos.

I would highly recommend doing Track prep for ANY car especially on hot day.

Having said all that - i do agree Chevy QC is an issue and new C8 will most likely have ton of issues for first few years.
Old 07-21-19, 08:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are they really that close? Aside from both being two seats models, they are quite far from really being competitive with each other. I6 vs V8. Corvette will hit $125K + price tags with packages.
I never said the Supra will be cross-shopped with the ZR-1, which is what you're now talking about with a $125k+ pricetag. The C8 will be starting at just $4k more than the C7 ($60k vs. $56k). The 2LT is the most popular trim level, and on the C7, this stickers for $61.5k, or $66.5k with the Z51 performance package. So let's call the equivalent C8 $70-71k, inclusive of the Z51 package. Supra Premium stickers for just over $55k. So yes, there's a gap, but the C8 will not cost 2.5x what a Supra does.

I'm fully expecting that the C8 I buy in a few years will cost right around $75k, and I think it'll be WAY more than $20k more car than a Supra. To be fair though, I don't think I'd fit in a Supra so I personally wouldn't be cross-shopping them. If not for that though, I've been driving BMW straight sixes for the past twenty years, so I definitely would consider it.

Mid engine vs front. Supra lacks 20 years of current-past heritage. Unique custom aspirations from Corvette owners. Supra was always a four seater for what it’s worth.
Agreed here. And yes the supra was always a 4-seater--several of my friends had them growing up--but isn't anymore. The new Supra is clearly a very different car from the MkI-IV.

New Supra will have an I4 in the future which should drop the price tag. This would put it more in line with Camaro money...
No arguments here. I agree no one will be cross-shopping a 4-cylinder Supra with a Vette.

I see your POV of how the Camaro appeals to the pony crowd. But I have to respectfully disagree that a Supra is in the line with a Corvette. That said, I can see anyone buying a Vette, wanting to cross shop to a Supra.....I also just don’t see a Supra buyer willing to spend Corvette type dollars.
As noted above, we're talking about probably a $10k price difference for the most comparable versions. The Corvette costs 18% more than the Supra. I think more people will be comparing these cars than you suspect. For reference, a Camaro 2SS stickers for $42.5k, or about $12-13k less than that Supra. The Supra costs 29% more than the V8 Camaro.
Old 07-21-19, 10:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Go check out Supra forums - ppl backing out already and getting C8.
Supra will need to bring out a Manual version now for sure and higher HP car is already confirmed.

C8 really takes it to next level with all the Customization thats available notwithstanding Performance advantages. The level of details on the interior, color options, seat options etc makes it feel like buying a true exotic.
Supra there is not much choices at all......
You beat me to it, I’ve been a member of Supraforums for years and right when I saw the debut of the C8 I was curious about the reactions on Supraforums and while not a direct competitor in terms of engine size, placement, etc. it appears it will impact sales of the Supra.

Die hard Supra people (not the MKIV crowd including me since most with MKIV’s aren’t impressed with the new Supra) won’t cross shop but to a new person considering a Supra I can easily see their decision swayed. For close to the same price you get a V8 (which a lot here on clublexus love), a DCT transmission, a mid engine layout and near exotic looks. How would one looking at a Supra not reconsider given these pluses? You would just have to be a Toyota fanboy to not consider it.

As as far as overheating, most of the issues were with the Z06 and it’s supercharger, not much with the N/A V8.
Old 07-21-19, 11:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
As as far as overheating, most of the issues were with the Z06 and it’s supercharger, not much with the N/A V8.
This. My understanding is the majority of the cooling issues are related to the Z06's undersized 1.8L supercharger. Large V8s almost always have SCs of 2.3L or larger for a reason.
Old 07-21-19, 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Great article on the new LT2 engine and related parts...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...c8-lt2-engine/

couple of tl;dr points...

dry sump lubrication for all versions
lots of the engine is from the LT1, so tried and true
Old 07-21-19, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Another good tech article on the prior LT1 engine...

I thought the Corvette engine was still a ‘pushrod’ engine, dismissed as ancient and irrelevant by many, but it has some huge advantages, such as the 6.2L being lighter, much smaller, AND more powerful than a BMW 4.4L twin turbo engine.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...ods-still-rock
Old 07-21-19, 12:59 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Now I get why the Camaro was halted for the 7th gen. Wow, it makes no sense to buy a supra , r8. nsx, f430, or similar now. Also I like how the 2020 corvette has the same O.S as my 2019 2SS camaro. The 1000hp version corvette will be the best car on earth accounting for engineering, power and price point. BMW fan boys are mad
Old 07-21-19, 02:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

glad to see they have better spoiler options.

the default one is ugly

but still, that whole butt looks like they cut and paste it from another chevy sedan

Last edited by pman6; 07-21-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 05:36 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Also Ford fanboys are upset too because this corvette is faster to 60 than ford gt , how embarrassing.
Old 07-21-19, 05:42 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C8 is a beast and for the money, nothing really beats it performance wise. Mid-engine is great, but no manual option is not. A lot of good hype. C7 had a lot of hype too and it lived up to it (other than some early limp mode issues and the ZR1 being "too powerful" on the track to enjoy).

A lot of folks jumping off the Zupra bandwagon to the C8 wagon makes sense on paper. Of course these people must not value long term reliability (shout out to those Chevy JD Powah commercials haha). I mean the Zupra's reliability will probably be more BMW than Lexus, but man, this new C8's will be like... Hard pass at this point and good luck to the early adopters. Hard pass to the Zupra too if we are being honest about long term reliability.

Some folks might cross shop the C8 with the luxury brands and even the exotics, but badge whoring is real. For example, will a prospective 2021 BMW M4 shopper consider a C8 instead? Both will be priced the same (even more similar than the Zupra). There are luxury amenities and refinement features that the C8 cannot offer compared to BMW to Porsche (why did everyone forget about me? "Nobody trying to go from a 911 to a Corvette" - old P-man) and of course the actual exotics.

Anybody actually own a C7 here and dislike the C8?
Old 07-21-19, 08:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

idk why but i haven't really wanted a corvette since the C6 Z06 and ZR1, they just seem more like the real deal

the whole mid engined corvette thing is cool except it's not a corvette anymore... but whatever it is, it looks great
Old 07-21-19, 08:12 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Another good tech article on the prior LT1 engine...

I thought the Corvette engine was still a ‘pushrod’ engine, dismissed as ancient and irrelevant by many, but it has some huge advantages, such as the 6.2L being lighter, much smaller, AND more powerful than a BMW 4.4L twin turbo engine.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...ods-still-rock
the LS7 is an especially awesome dinosaur
Old 07-22-19, 05:22 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Go check out Supra forums - ppl backing out already and getting C8.
Supra will need to bring out a Manual version now for sure and higher HP car is already confirmed.

C8 really takes it to next level with all the Customization thats available notwithstanding Performance advantages. The level of details on the interior, color options, seat options etc makes it feel like buying a true exotic.
Supra there is not much choices at all......
90% of members on Supraforums aren't fans of the MKV. Don't believe me browse through the 2020 Supra sub-section there to see lol. MKV forums is more suited to fans and actual people that made deposits etc... No one on Supraforums is backing out as they weren't going to buy it in the first place, they rather have the C8 than the MKV. Not one single person on Supraforums has made a deposit and backed out, all the true fans are on mkvforums.
Old 07-22-19, 05:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
90% of members on Supraforums aren't fans of the MKV. Don't believe me browse through the 2020 Supra sub-section there to see lol. MKV forums is more suited to fans and actual people that made deposits etc... No one on Supraforums is backing out as they weren't going to buy it in the first place, they rather have the C8 than the MKV. Not one single person on Supraforums has made a deposit and backed out, all the true fans are on mkvforums.
Yeah but on the SupraMKVforum the vote between these two are close to 50/50, that’s not a good sign on a site dedicated to the MKV. That doesn’t mean people will take back deposits but it could change the mind of someone who thought about getting a new Supra before the debut of the C8.
Old 07-22-19, 05:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Someone just started a thread on the MKV forum that just said this (not sure if I’m allowed to provide a link):

“Well next week I’m expected to get my Supra and am really questioning the purchase now the C8 has been unveiled. I have owned many Corvettes so I was curious what the Corvette community though of it.”

The person provided a link to the Corvette forum with the same discussion. Obviously they will be pro Vette but there was someone that sounded like he was looking to get a new Supra that said he was glad he waited and did not get one now that the C8 is coming.

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)