Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19 | 07:21 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the order guide:
https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/NASApp/do...D=21905&type=0

Visualizer:
https://visualizer-west.chevrolet.co...US&channel=b2c
Old 07-23-19 | 03:53 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Not sure how many C8's are planned for production but with dealers being dealers I expect to see the usual "market adjustment" markups, so a $60K C8 may not even be feasible for a few months after release even if someone just wanted the base model.
Old 07-23-19 | 04:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
The factory has setup double shifts for C8 production. The big dealers have plenty of allocations and they are going for MSRP as of now. Huge discounts will be available in 18-24 months.

You can place your order today - the Chevy site provides dealer that is authorized to take orders once you spec the car on the visualizer.

This is not the car to buy for exclusivity- Corvettes have always been a dime a dozen.
Cars like 911, Viper, GT350, Etc are produced in much smaller #s.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-23-19 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-23-19 | 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Supra will be more reliable and have better fit and finish by far.
Plus cheaper to mod with simple tune.

There is room for both Supra and Corvette but C8 will outsell it at least by 3to1 margin.
you’re just full of predictions.

everyone keeps talking about the “60K” c8, but the average selling price is likely to be 73K, waay more than the supra, and being such different cars, i don’t think which outsells which is very relevant. the supra may well be a capable sports car, but to me it’s not a home run because it’s a bmw underneath and it’s not exactly a thing of beauty.

Huge discounts will be available in 18-24 months.
more predictions... not so sure about that... maybe depends on ‘huge’.

This is not the car to buy for exclusivity- Corvettes have always been a dime a dozen.
Cars like 911, Viper, GT350, Etc are produced in much smaller #s.
is that a bad thing in your view? a 911 is hardly exclusive.
Old 07-23-19 | 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^
Huge discounts will be available in 18-24 months.

I am not sure how this can be viewed as an issue. Chevrolet has stated they want this car to be attainable.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-23-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-23-19 | 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
everyone keeps talking about the “60K” c8, but the average selling price is likely to be 73K,
If the (average) new C8 goes out the door for anywhere near 60K, the buyer will probably look like this LOL........

With time, though (probably after the first year or so) average transaction prices will come down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-23-19 | 08:34 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Thats for the front camera to see the curb when parking so not to damage the front bumper.
Gotcha, thanks
Old 07-23-19 | 11:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

you’re just full of predictions.

everyone keeps talking about the “60K” c8, but the average selling price is likely to be 73K, waay more than the supra, and being such different cars, i don’t think which outsells which is very relevant. the supra may well be a capable sports car, but to me it’s not a home run because it’s a bmw underneath and it’s not exactly a thing of beauty.

What i stated are not really predictions but historical figures and sales expectations.
GM stated producion shifts will be double of current C7 cars. Dealers have stated they already have significant allocations. Historic sales figures for C7 were as high as 35-36k in first 2 model years.
Supra can’t meet those production #s even if the demand was there.

$73k is if you get 2LT and Z51.
Lots of regular shoppers don’t want Z51 packages.

I think average price will be high $60s at most and only for 1st year to 18months.
Then Z06 and GrandSport models will come - you will start seeing discounts on regular Stingrays.

is that a bad thing in your view? a 911 is hardly exclusive.
No its not a bad thing for me personally thats why its great about the Customization levels on new Corvette. You can make yours unique.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-23-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-23-19 | 11:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not sure how this can be viewed as an issue. Chevrolet has stated they want this car to be attainable.
Not an issue- Its great for Corvette buyers!
Not so great for Supra and other potential competition.
Old 07-23-19 | 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

GM stated producion shifts will be double of current C7 cars. Dealers have stated they already have significant allocations. Historic sales figures for C7 were as high as 35-36k in first 2 model years.
Supra can’t meet those production #s even if the demand was there.

I think average price will be high $60s at most and only for 1st year to 18months.
Then Z06 and GrandSport models will come - you will start seeing discounts on regular Stingrays.
can agree on that too

No its not a bad thing for me personally thats why its great about the Customization levels on new Corvette. You can make yours unique.

yes, it's always bugged me that toyota/lexus micromanage and extremely limit options and packages and combinations, especially lexus because i believe a big part of luxury is getting what you want. even when lexus does offer options, dealers often don't stock them, ever.
Old 07-23-19 | 01:55 PM
Hoovey689

Default The Corvette C8 has electronically adjustable brakes

Pedal feel changes based on drive mode

the new brake system that Chevy calls “eBoost brakes.” That’s just a fancy marketing term for brake-by-wire. What this ultimately lets the driver do is adjust the brake pedal feel depending on the mode they put it in.

Plenty of other cars utilize brake-by-wire (mostly hybrids), but performance vehicle applications are still rather scarce — the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio Quadrifoglio also use it. If you’re unfamiliar with the technology, just compare it to throttle-by-wire, a widely accepted technology seen in pretty much every new car today. It’s the same essential concept. The driver presses down on the brake pedal, sending a signal to a computer. This “force” is then transferred to all the brakes using traditional brake fluid. Chevy is able to eliminate the conventional vacuum-based power brake system, which it says “provides an advantage in efficiency.”

GM is right about that. The C8's “eBoost” unit combines four components — master cylinder, vacuum booster, vacuum pump and electronic brake control module — into one single unit. That means the system is more space- and weight-efficient than a traditional braking system. Chevy specifically claims that this is one of the reasons why the C8 has as much luggage room as it does — fitting two golf bags into the trunk of a mid-engine car is no small feat.
Certainly GM has worked hard at tuning in the correct pedal feedback for adverse driving conditions. Remember, the pedal you’re pushing now is essentially just a big variable capacitor. An “adjustable” button sending an electronic signal, if you will.

Most of us are accustomed to the feeling of traditional brakes on slick surfaces, but GM has to tune all that in with this new system. The bit about tuning out unwanted feedback during aggressive or track driving is also intriguing. Most track rats will know the feeling of fading brakes as the pedal becomes mushier deep into lapping sessions. Alfa lets drivers know the brakes are too hot via a light on the dash with its brake-by-wire system. We imagine Chevy has a similar solution for the C8. Your brakes will likely feel perfectly normal until that point, though.

Perhaps most interesting of all is that Chevy is adding brake pedal feel to the list of elements changed by the adjustable drive modes. Here they are below with a description from Chevrolet.
  • Tour: provides a comfortable brake feel for everyday driving
  • Sport: provides drivers with an option for more jump-in and a more aggressive feel
  • Track: provides a smooth and progressive feel at the limit that allows drivers a wide range of modulation for trail-braking
We’ll admit, adjusting the feel of the brakes through modes is a novel idea. However, we also understand that there are plenty of folks who may not want that long-standing consistency to change. BMW says it’s bringing a similar feature to the M8, and Alfa already adjusts the brake feel depending on the mode you’re in.
Source
Old 07-23-19 | 05:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Not sure how many C8's are planned for production but with dealers being dealers I expect to see the usual "market adjustment" markups, so a $60K C8 may not even be feasible for a few months after release even if someone just wanted the base model.
the starting price is irrelevant to me, even ignoring market adjustment fees, buying an entry vette is like buying the base mustang GT. Do you really want a base Mustang GT that comes with 235 width all season tires, cloth interior, puny brakes? Exactly
Old 07-23-19 | 05:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Old 07-23-19 | 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Do you really want a base Mustang GT that comes with 235 width all season tires, cloth interior, puny brakes?
Apparently, for many people, judging by actual sales, the answer is yes.

In spite of the fact that some CL members have already placed orders, I do think, however, that, even apart from the inevitable price-gouging, one would be wise to avoid this car for probably the first year or so, simply for the almost equally inevitable teething problems. Some vehicles are designed correctly the first time around and are reliable, but, in this case, I wouldn't bet on it. It's got three strikes already.......it's a first-year GM product, it's probably the most complete (and revolutionary) redesign in all of Corvette history, which goes back to 1953, and it carries a lot of new untested technology. Not only that, but mid-engined vehicles often are difficult to get adequate cooling to the engine....the engine is cut off from a lot of airflow. And past Corvettes, even with the front-engine, have had some overheating problems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-23-19 | 05:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

what bugs me is people are going ape over the price. So let me get this straight if GM designed this car with this kind of price efficiency, why didnt they do it to the rest of their lineup which is trash?

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)