Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what bugs me is people are going ape over the price. So let me get this straight if GM designed this car with this kind of price efficiency, why didnt they do it to the rest of their lineup which is trash?
The rest of their line-up varies from trash to some truly excellent products.
Old 07-23-19, 05:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The rest of their line-up varies from trash to some truly excellent products.
what product of their's is exceling currently?
"redesigned" Silverado and Sierra are getting owned by Ram for the past two quarters.
Camaro sales have been getting owned by Mustang and 10 year old Challengers, hence them canning the next gen Camaro
Cadillac is far behind Lincoln
Old 07-23-19, 06:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,056 Likes on 2,568 Posts

This reminds me a fair bit of the NSX launch which was being praised up and down and sideways.
Old 07-24-19, 05:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

what bugs me is people are going ape over the price. So let me get this straight if GM designed this car with this kind of price efficiency, why didnt they do it to the rest of their lineup which is trash?
Why such hate? This car literally is changing the game of what a sports car is.

The Current C7 Corvette is a great car that had amazing performance already. When it came out 6yrs ago, it had features like HUD, Performance data recorder which were unheard of for $55k. Go back and look at the reviews- everyone loved it and praised the great interior update/ seats.

You sound clueless about Corvette brand - obviously its run and developed in a much more focused way then rest of GM regular cars.

You can also see that there was some cost savings to achieve lower price such as smaller brakes, wheels are not forged etc.
But take a look at the order guide I posted- it offers way more value in terms of features and performance than any other sports car.

The launch of the car with dedicated website, visualizer, and ability to place order was also well planned.
You got to give GM credit.
Old 07-24-19, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Is what I said not true about GMs lineup not true? Then explain.

did you forget the **** poor job they did on the C7 Z06 that I posted previously? The price was too good to be true on that because you had to complete the heat management engineering yourself, something that crippled the performance of the car for years before they addressed it. Hopefully they learned their lesson because GM really really needs the C8 to succeed because they are failing elsewhere.

I'll give GM credit when it actually works, because their previous attempt was blemished. And now the car is a new completely unproven design that they have had no experience in the past developing. Would you have this much hype if the 911 suddenly changed to a front engine configuration? You would be very cautious like I am.
Old 07-24-19, 06:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You got to give GM credit.
I think it is hard to not give GM credit. for the new Corvette. I do not particularly like the exterior, but it is gamble and swing for the fences with the new redesign and one has to recognize the effort. I personally do not see the Supra and Corvette having any cross shopping, the Corvette is in a different tier IMO.
Old 07-24-19, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

This is clearly a TREMENDOUS car for the money.

However, personally I don’t know that this resonates with me as a “Corvette”.
Old 07-24-19, 08:31 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

This car is looking better and better.
I mean a mid engined V8 supecar that does 0-60 in 3 Seconds, costs $60k, comes with full warranty and can be customized to the smallest specs. Yet ppl still complaining LOL

View this post on Instagram
Old 07-24-19, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This car is looking better and better.
I mean a mid engined V8 supecar that does 0-60 in 3 Seconds, costs $60k, comes with full warranty and can be customized to the smallest specs. Yet ppl still complaining LOL

https://instagram.com/p/B0QFI_OllSN/
No doubt like I said, incredible car for the money but “a Corvette” is a specific thing, this doesn’t look or feel like a Corvette to me.
Old 07-24-19, 08:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I personally do not see the Supra and Corvette having any cross shopping, the Corvette is in a different tier IMO.
It may be in a different tier but you don't have to believe it or see it, it is already happening. All you have to do is look at Corvette forum or SupraMKV forums and you will see proof. Is it a large amount, maybe not, but people will be cross shopping. When you are looking for a weekend toy in this price range, the difference in price compared to what you get may not be that much to many.
Old 07-24-19, 08:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

They couldn’t keep existing layout - C7 was maxed out.
There are no front engined supercars for a reason.

I’m much more interested in the C8 than any previous Corvette specifically bec its now mid engine.
Old 07-24-19, 08:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,648 Posts

did you forget the **** poor job they did on the C7 Z06 that I posted previously? The price was too good to be true on that because you had to complete the heat management engineering yourself, something that crippled the performance of the car for years before they addressed it.
i don't think the dodge viper has been immune to some pretty serious issues either, so people in glass houses...

Hopefully they learned their lesson because GM really really needs the C8 to succeed because they are failing elsewhere.
that's funny. cadillac's doing better. buick's doing better. i agree silverado is a fail and ram is on a roll but they still sell a zillion of them. chevy's a mixed bag but overall not great (bolt, volt, camaro) although traverse does well and i think the blazer will be a big hit.

And now the car is a new completely unproven design that they have had no experience in the past developing. Would you have this much hype if the 911 suddenly changed to a front engine configuration? You would be very cautious like I am.
i agree with you there. as amazing as it appears to be, i would NOT buy the first year of this c8.
Old 07-24-19, 09:04 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

They couldn’t keep existing layout - C7 was maxed out.
There are no front engined supercars for a reason.
Interesting, I'm curious how a C7 ZR1 stacks up against the 812 Superfast
Old 07-24-19, 09:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can think of several front engined supercars lol
Old 07-24-19, 09:33 AM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

What with the engine moving behind the driver, I'm curious as to how the car will do in NHTSA crash tests. Will there be enough of a 'crumple' zone to resist full front, frontal moderate overlap & small overlap crash encroachment into the cabin?

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)