Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 12:54 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I wish Ford GT had the V8 from GT350 and reasonable MSRP.

In terms of design- its absolutely stunning. One of the best looking supercars ever and perfect evolution on original GT40 design.
Old 03-17-20, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I wish Ford GT had the V8 from GT350 and reasonable MSRP.

In terms of design- its absolutely stunning. One of the best looking supercars ever and perfect evolution on original GT40 design.
That'd be cool. Heck I'd be happy with a 4.0L EcoBoost V8

I'm with you on the second point too
Old 03-17-20, 04:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Stock its not that fast. I hope this was a fluke and not a design issue.

C8 Corvette at the Drag Strip Starts With Toyota Supra Beatdown, Ends With Snapped Axle

Maybe NOS had something to do with it...

BY CALEB JACOBS
You win some, you lose some—especially if you test the limits of a brand-spanking-new car at the drag strip. Just ask LG Motorsports, whose nitrous-boosted C8 Chevy Corvette gapped a MKV Toyota Supra in the quarter-mile before snapping an axle later in the day. From victory lane to the back of a tow truck in a few short hours, these guys know the highs and lows of R&D.

At last weekend's TX2K event—which features some of the nation's fastest cars across the board—the 500 mile C8 made pass after pass, and some were more successful than others. When battling against the Supra, the Corvette ran without nitrous for the sake of fairness. Still, its 490-horsepower 6.2-liter V-8 far out-hustled the Toyota's twin-turbocharged inline-six which puts out just 335 horsepower. A predictable result, sure, but its 12.11-second quarter-mile time is what we're paying attention to here.

During the Corvette's second go-around, now with nitrous in play, there was a small bug that kept its time within a hundredth of the first. Even then, its trap speed climbed from 118 miles per hour to 124 mph.

While trying to work around the nitrous issue, which apparently prevented the car from shifting into second with the spray turned on, everything went awry. The C8's third and final pass resulted in a blown left-rear axle when the driver shifted up from second and flipped on the nitrous. This left it waiting on a tow truck with spectators joking about a broken transmission.
Alas, the Chevy's dual-clutch automatic was fine and what's left is a relatively minor issue that can be fixed by simply replacing the axle. As for the nitrous system, the builders at Nitrous Express are currently working to iron out the issue so they can deliver the first-ever C8 NOS kit to the general public.

Rest assured, this is far from the last time we'll see one of these mid-engined domestics run into problems. As always, shops will push for more power and end up breaking one thing or another before being satisfied. It's just how it goes.

Got a tip? Send us a note: tips@thedrive.com

Last edited by EZZ; 03-17-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 07:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Stock its not that fast. I hope this was a fluke and not a design issue.
dumbazzes NOS-boosted it, so I don't see how you're even bringing up it being a design issue

Last edited by bagwell; 03-17-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 08:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
dumbazzes NOS-boosted it, so I don't see how you're even bringing up it being a design issue.
Usually the engine or transmission blows, not the axles on a relatively brand new car. As I said, hope this was a fluke.
Old 03-17-20, 09:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by EZZ
Usually the engine or transmission blows, not the axles on a relatively brand new car. As I said, hope this was a fluke.
I`d rather have a broken CV then powerrtrain engine.

This failure seems inline with how the new supra breaking its CV shafts when boosted. Which is an excellent fail safe if as designed lol
Old 03-18-20, 03:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`d rather have a broken CV then powerrtrain engine.

This failure seems inline with how the new supra breaking its CV shafts when boosted. Which is an excellent fail safe if as designed lol
Good point!
Old 03-20-20, 04:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

no more orders for 2020, and even if you ordered youre not guaranteed to make 2020 production

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/18/...orders-halted/

GM suspends all new orders for 2020 Chevrolet Corvette

Orders for 2021 Vettes will open early

General Motors is shutting down all new orders for the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette, effective immediately, citing heavy demand and limited supply following the production shutdown caused by the United Auto Workers strike last fall. The news was revealed through a leaked e-mail sent to dealers on the Corvette Forum.

“Due to an overwhelming demand for the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Chevrolet has decided to stop taking sold orders after March 18, 2020," Chevy confirmed in a statement. "Chevrolet dealers will begin taking orders for the 2021 Corvette in late May.”

The shutdown would not interfere with dealers’ ability to process existing orders within their allocation, nor to create and process a normal stock order. It added that GM would open up orders for the 2021 Corvette on May 21, a month earlier than planned.

“Regretfully, launch timing was delayed by the six-week work stoppage that reduced the 2020 Model Year production schedule,” GM said in the email. “Therefore, it is possible some of your 2020 orders, sold or stock may not be produced as planned.”

It went on to explain that, “Further information will be forthcoming from Chevrolet regarding the handling of sold 2020 Model Year that we will be unable to accept, and the creation of a replacement 2021 Model Year sold order.”

The move comes as the all-new mid-engine sports car finally begins arriving at dealerships at prices generally much higher than the promised sub-$60,000 base trim level, a trend first spotted by CarsDirect. Taken together with the e-mail announcement, it suggests buyers are unlikely to find a base trim Corvette at the promised $59,995 starting price for the 2020 model year. Then again, given our experience with the car and the buying tendencies of early adopters, there probably wouldn't be much demand for one any way.

Production of the 2021 models was planned to start Sept. 1 at GM’s Bowling Green Assembly plant in Kentucky.

On Autotrader, the cheapest C8 Corvette found was an Arctic White 2LT listed for $64,726 by a Chevy dealer in Coconut Creek, Fla. Meanwhile top asking price found was $129,899 for a black Stingray 3LT with the Z51 performance package and 78 miles on the odometer from a dealer in Noblesville, Ind., a suburb of Indianapolis.

Things are no better on eBay, where a quick check turned up a pre-owned 2LT version with 500 miles on it with bidding at $79,600 on the low end, which doesn’t yet meet the seller’s reserve, to a Mitsubishi dealer asking $135,000 for a 3LT on the opposite end.
Old 03-22-20, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Not sure if this was posted, but it's great. Although he seemed to cut it off abruptly at the end.

Old 03-22-20, 05:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

more first impressions. SuperspeedersRob has a exotic rental company and he plans to have a few of them

Old 03-23-20, 03:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I found evidence in the C6 days that when a Corvette was ordered, it was in fact the purchaser's order--i.e. factory order tied to a consumer. Is that still the case because the website that existed then is dead.

What I mean is contrast it to what I know of Japanese cars, where you say you ordered a car, it's really you have an agreement with a dealership on their allocation, the mfg. knows nothing about this agreement.

I had thought that Corvette was like a German car, where the mfg. has your specific order and acknowledges that this vehicle 123 that we are building, belongs to you John Q. Public.

One supposes that there are extenuating circumstances right now where it's possible not to fulfill bonafide orders that were taken for 2020 cars.
Old 03-23-20, 04:59 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I found evidence in the C6 days that when a Corvette was ordered, it was in fact the purchaser's order--i.e. factory order tied to a consumer. Is that still the case because the website that existed then is dead.

What I mean is contrast it to what I know of Japanese cars, where you say you ordered a car, it's really you have an agreement with a dealership on their allocation, the mfg. knows nothing about this agreement.

I had thought that Corvette was like a German car, where the mfg. has your specific order and acknowledges that this vehicle 123 that we are building, belongs to you John Q. Public.

One supposes that there are extenuating circumstances right now where it's possible not to fulfill bonafide orders that were taken for 2020 cars.
It's between the dealer and the customer. That website just routed customers requests to dealers. Customer info is, of course, shared with the manufacturer and their marketing, but the dealer controls their allocation.
Old 03-23-20, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
It's between the dealer and the customer. That website just routed customers requests to dealers.
Gotcha. I tried the same with a LS460 and a G37S and in those cases I was told the "order" is between you and us, not Toyota or Infiniti.

Guess what I am saying is the dealer has all the power this way, but it is what it is. With BMW they told me you can have this vehicle delivered to another dealership or the SC Performance Center if you desire it's your car (you do have to pay for the car of course at the selling dealership). The time where the customer back in 2006 lost track of the production was once it was loaded onto a ship. But there was no AWS back then!
Old 03-23-20, 06:42 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Gotcha. I tried the same with a LS460 and a G37S and in those cases I was told the "order" is between you and us, not Toyota or Infiniti.

Guess what I am saying is the dealer has all the power this way, but it is what it is. With BMW they told me you can have this vehicle delivered to another dealership or the SC Performance Center if you desire it's your car (you do have to pay for the car of course at the selling dealership). The time where the customer back in 2006 lost track of the production was once it was loaded onto a ship. But there was no AWS back then!
Yeah, that's been the heartburn for the states with Tesla's business model. Most states require companies that sell cars in their state to have a dealer network instate. No direct manufacturer sales. I personally don't agree with that.
Old 03-23-20, 01:09 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not sure if this was posted, but it's great. Although he seemed to cut it off abruptly at the end.
I enjoyed his review. A little long but very informative. And, yes cut off at the end and no Doug score.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)