Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKZ AWD V6 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-19, 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but not in GM and Ford's thinking. Sedans have become pariahs.
Oh great, we are taking this thread down the road of another "sedan vs crossover" thread. Thanks.
Old 07-28-19, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Oh great, we are taking this thread down the road of another "sedan vs crossover" thread. Thanks.
Nothing of the sort. Azipod mentioned that there "is a car for everyone" I simply pointed out that that is no longer the case in today's reality....partly due to GM's and Ford's actions. But that does not make it "sedan vs. crossover". There are other types of vehicles on the market as well.....coupes, wagons, hatchbacks, sports cars, minivans, and pickup trucks of both the traditional frame-rail and unibody type.
Old 07-28-19, 11:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

As has been discussed, with the Fusion going away the MKZ's future is probably in doubt. They are selling about 1,500 MKZ's per month, not enough to keep the model in production IMO. US News ranks cars based on data and reviews from various sources and they rank the MKZ #13 out of 13 in the segment. Doesn't seem like a very compelling model in its current form.
Old 07-28-19, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As has been discussed, with the Fusion going away the MKZ's future is probably in doubt. They are selling about 1,500 MKZ's per month, not enough to keep the model in production IMO. US News ranks cars based on data and reviews from various sources and they rank the MKZ #13 out of 13 in the segment. Doesn't seem like a very compelling model in its current form.
Both are assembled in Mexico..so perhaps they will export and keep it for a while longer as other markets it might be sold in. I think the Mexican built Fusion has not been cancelled outside of the US and Can.. thoughts?
Old 07-28-19, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Both are assembled in Mexico..so perhaps they will export and keep it for a while longer as other markets it might be sold in. I think the Mexican built Fusion has not been cancelled outside of the US and Can.. thoughts?

I certainly would be sorry to see the MKZ go. It and the Continental are my two favorite American-market Ford products, although the current MKZ, even with the 2017 interior/front-end updates, lacks the superb hardware and fit/finish of the new Navigator and Aviator.

As for the Fusion, good mid-size sedan...I've always liked it, though its reliability and level of quality control at the plants is spotty....people I know who have owned them have had issues. And IMO they have downsized the base engine too much......like with its Chevy Malibu competition, the 1.5L Turbo 4 is a joke.
Old 07-29-19, 07:08 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I drove a MKZ with the top engine and AWD just out of curiosity. It was actually very nice but not as fast as I had expected. The Kia Stinger GT is faster by a good bit. I think the problem with the MKZ was the 6 speed auto and the gearing. I was curious because the TT V-6 AWD is what some of us were hoping that Lexus would do with the ES.

My understanding is that the MKZ will disappear when the Fusion goes. Lincoln was studying a new sedan based on the CD6 (Aviator) platform, but I read just recently that it had been cancelled. Too bad, Lincoln still needs a sedan of some kind to be complete. I can't help wondering what a CD6 based sedan would be like. Continental size, RWD, suicide doors. 400 hp base, Aviator quality interior, etc. Even a hybrid performance variant with 450 hp and 600 lb/ft of torque would be easy to do.