Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

States Tesla couldn’t open a store in (but now it doesn’t matter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 07:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This is not about how Tesla or any auto maker wants to sell their cars it's about how they are allowed to do it. You can buy a TV online, in a store, order online pick it up at a store, get it shipped to your door. You can even buy a TV direct from the manufacture in some cases. The same freedoms don't apply to cars in many states.
Old 07-29-19, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is so "awful" about a traditional dealer and how is the Telsa store so much superior? Tesla charges one price. There is no dealing. Has a doc fee combined in the destination fee....what could go wrong when you are willing to pay a fixed price?...one could go into a Chevrolet dealer and just pay MSRP for their Volt and be done with it.
naive at best, argumentative again, at worst. Even if you walk into a regular dealer and offer to buy a car at MSRP, even with a suitcase of cash or a check, you will STILL get the runaround to buy rust proofing, pinstripes, tire protection, nitrogen in tires, extended warranty, and on, and on and on... plus the trade-in ‘deal’ if one’s involved, it’s a shake down. Now we know from people telling us that some get it all done ahead of time via email, and can get in and out fairly quickly... i’ve only had one experience close to that. But the vast majority of new and used car deals are painful at best, almost criminal and abusive at worst.

If buying Tesla direct is good, then why are there examples out there:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...uld-be.132855/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...rience.136360/
both of those are a) almost year old threads, and b) for used cars, which i don’t think tesla cares much about at this early stage. And you rarely see posts of good stories, mostly the ones where the thread starter wasn’t happy.

IMO, a car buying experience is usually thought of to be a bad experience, it is because you are giving away so much to someone else. Its the parting of the money which most people do not love to do which I think is a bigger issue...
Yes i remember your opinion on this from before, but generally people don’t feel as bad when they buy a home, which is usually way more money.

Dealerships always get bad rap..but IMO customers can be just as dirty. I think buyers just need to have a better awareness.
i agree buyers can be terrible too. The car buying business is the only one i know that is so adversarial, with no trust between buyer and seller. Even in one of those tesla threads where the cpo car turned out to be no good, when the next one came along tesla dropped the trade in price with no good explanation... typical shake down. As tesla evolves, maybe they’ll end up being just as bad as all the rest...
Old 07-29-19, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
naive at best, argumentative again, at worst. Even if you walk into a regular dealer and offer to buy a car at MSRP, even with a suitcase of cash or a check, you will STILL get the runaround to buy rust proofing, pinstripes, tire protection, nitrogen in tires, extended warranty, and on, and on and on...
Old 07-29-19, 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
naive at best, argumentative again, at worst.

Yes i remember your opinion on this from before, but generally people don’t feel as bad when they buy a home, which is usually way more money.

i agree buyers can be terrible too. The car buying business is the only one i know that is so adversarial, with no trust between buyer and seller. Even in one of those tesla threads where the cpo car turned out to be no good, when the next one came along tesla dropped the trade in price with no good explanation... typical shake down. As tesla evolves, maybe they’ll end up being just as bad as all the rest...
I don't get why you think I am being argumentative. It is just a different opinion I have compared to you. Its ok to not agree. I don't find the car buying at all difficult, scary or untrustworthy. I just walk away. Of course I have been to dealers who are not that great. I was shopping for a new car last Saturday, a non-Toyota, lowball offer on trade, and the guy said we have so much demand that we are pretty much take it leave it, we don't discount. Ok, no hard feelings. See ya. No car for Jill for now.

As for houses, I think they are different than cars, they appreciate in value. And you are dealing most likely with a seller that is already the previous owner, but there is negotiating when you buy a house. But you need the house. So I think it is different.

Yes, car buying is adversarial, you are right. But I think it is rooted in the idea that cars are passion-lust items, do you really need a Genesis? Or do you want a Genesis? If you went and shopped for a car that you really didn't want, I propose it would be easier to walk away and it would less adversarial, perhaps even easier to get a big deal and discount.....the buyer always has the advantage, they just don't realize it, the buyer can always walk away, the buyer can say no to rust proofing or add ons etc....the buyer doesn't have to buy anything, and that is where the buyer has the ultimate power over the dealer .....just my thoughts and opinions....your opinion?

But back to Tesla, it is refreshing that they are doing what they are doing with their stores. Are they succeeding, IMO it depends on how and who you ask. I for one like the negotiation process. It has helped me with work, and all other forms of personal life related to things that cost money. I just don't like the one price for all way of dealing for a high priced item such as a car.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-19 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 07:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If only it were that easy. One "no" usually isn't enough
Old 07-30-19, 05:27 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If you can make your way to a store, they have demo units to test drive. If you don't then you can do the 7 day test drive
Makes more sense your way!
Old 07-30-19, 05:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If you can make your way to a store, they have demo units to test drive. If you don't then you can do the 7 day test drive

In my area, Model 3 test-drives are no problem.....I did one yesterday. Posted the write-up in another Car Chat thread.
Old 07-30-19, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

In my area, Model 3 test-drives are no problem.....I did one yesterday. Posted the write-up in another Car Chat thread.
We had no problem. It was a wait if a few days because we needed an reservation.