Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My weekend with the Jaguar XF 35t Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-19, 08:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,705 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Cool My weekend with the Jaguar XF 35t Prestige

This is the sequel to my last Turo review, which was on the Porsche Macan Turbo, so check that out if you are curious.

2016 Jaguar XF 35t Prestige

"Success" is a word that means a lot of different things, depending on who you ask. Perhaps it's making a mark on history with an invention or with a successful business. Other times still, it's just making it from childhood through to retirement in one piece. For yet others, it's simply driving a Jaguar. In fact, Jaguar has always been off to the sidelines in the luxury space, never quite copying the German mainstays or their American and Japanese counterparts. Well, that last statement is true if you ignore the part of Jaguar's history where it was co-owned by Ford, but that part could be described less as "copying" and more as "brand engineering".

In any case, even now, Jaguar is largely distinguished from its peers based on its priorities and its attitude. In fact, many more Jaguar XF buyers claim to buy based on performance credentials than the industry average, something Jaguar clearly knows and shows off through their design language (as well as the usually increasingly-sporty trim level system). So, by now you've seen the Jaguar XF is the subject of this write up and may be wondering...

What is it?

This is a 2016 Jaguar XF, the midsize sedan from Jaguar. This example has the 35t designation on the boot lid, implying a 3.0-liter supercharged V6 is under the bonnet. It's also the Prestige trim level, which means some of the available equipment is standard, including heated seats fully wrapped in leather, a navigation system, keyless entry, and parking sensors. My XF also had the premium Meridian sound system. It's silver with a black interior here. I like to call silver over black the "safe" color choice, as it isn't going to offend anyone, so I can't blame whoever ordered this car for wanting to keep a low profile while also standing out a bit if onlookers are in the know about this car.

Some noteworthy features this car has that aren't always standard in the midsize premium segment are auto-folding side mirrors, which also tilt down when the car is in reverse, All Surface Progress Control, which is like slow cruise control for not-ideal surfaces, and an actual touchscreen infotainment system, as opposed to one controlled by a dial or other contraption (<cough> LEXUS <cough cough> ).

Quick Write-Up on My Impressions

Sadly, I only had this car as a rental for a mere 24 hours through Turo, and most of that time was busy entertaining my wife and some friends from Chicago while we were there visiting. So, I didn't really get this car put through its paces as with my previous reviews in which I had more time. That said, I did have some interesting impressions on this car, and I'll try my best to summarize without jumping to conclusions.

Of all the midsize sedans released in the last decade or so, I think this one takes the cake in terms of exterior design that should age well. It has a sleek shape, but it's not overtly swoopy like some sedans that pretend to be coupes. The headlights are squinty, but not in an exaggerated or angry way. The split 7-spoke wheels are interesting but not garish, and they leave enough sidewall on the tires so as not to spoil the ride quality. As far as the car's looks are concerned, I find it to be non-offensive, but definitely good-looking and even eye-catching at times. Moreover, the XF is a relatively uncommon sight on the road, making it even more exclusive and visually arresting when it makes an appearance. Keep in mind, my impressions are based on the relatively conservative silver exterior paint with only the Prestige trim level - R-Sport and S variants can get a little more extroverted.

The interior space in the XF is undoubtedly pleasant. It's easy on the eyes at first glance, and the controls are logically arranged for the most part. The rotary shifter took a little learning on my part - it was not entirely clear when I should press it in or not, till I experimented. In most cases, it can simply be rotated, but shifting out of P or into S requires depressing the ****. There's a little more piano black in the area around the shifter than I would prefer, but it wasn't distracting. The simple, if a bit boring, combination of black surfaces with aluminum trim made for an inviting, non-intimidating environment. Perhaps my one issue with the space was the feel of the leather on the steering wheel and seats, which was less than soft. I didn't really think too much about this until I got back home and got in my IS again, whose NuLuxe is infinitely softer than the XF's leather.

The infotainment and gauges were refreshingly simple and very 2010's, if you will. Nothing felt alien or obtuse, and I really appreciated the bevy of information on the trip computer screen of the center screen in the gauge cluster. I could have done with a bit more visual interest for the gauges, especially considering basically all of this car's competitors have that down-pat, but I won't complain about the clear focus on ease of use. As far as the infotainment goes, we didn't have much time to experiment. In the few activities we did, it worked just fine. We changed the radio station a few times, and we also used the navigation map to quickly orient ourselves when we weren't sure whether to make a left or right. In a big city like Chicago for the first time, any help navigating is appreciated...

So, how's it drive? Let's get one thing out of the way: this car felt immediately comfortable and familiar. It was extremely easy for me to find a comfortable driving position, since the wheel was very adjustable in its tilt and telescope, and the seat very supportive. For me, as a 5' 11", 150-pound man, everything fell to hand. The interior layout was judged basically to perfection, something I only previously experienced in the Genesis (or G80, by its newer name). This feeling of being at home in the cockpit, combined with the XF's truly excellent outward visibility, enabled me to start zipping through gaps in traffic pretty quickly.

And, how. The 340-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 has a broad range of talents. On a cold start, it has a little the Infiniti G37's sass, but is ever so slightly refined in comparison. Once you start moving, the powertrain is quite smooth and also eager. It feels entirely appropriate for a luxury sedan that errs on the driver's side of the segment. When you have to start making moves, the engine feels strong, period. At any RPM, sufficient thrust is available to make any random objects in the front cupholder make a run for the back cupholder. Though the engine doesn't have the sonorous alto sounds of some other V6 engines I've driven, it makes itself known to the XF's occupants with a powerful tenor. The transmission, too, is a beautiful match for the engine, delivering shifts that are both quick and smooth. Paddle response through the admittedly somewhat cheap-feeling paddles is quick too, meaning this car is quite fun to just drive between traffic light stops.

In terms of changing direction, the XF is exactly what I expected. Taking a couple of entrance ramps, I found the steering to be very heavy, if not entirely artificial in feel, but the response from the car was quick and confident. Though a little body roll was present, it never felt like I was piloting an old muscle car. Compared to its competitor the G80, the XF makes a case for itself as the lighter, more agile alternative. That said, it's not harsh either. Even in Dynamic mode, the car smooths out the smaller imperfections in the road well, and crashing over larger ones never actually felt like crashing inside the car. The balance of ride and handling in this car is well-judged for what it is, and even subverted my expectations by being able to deliver equally on both fronts.

Final Thoughts

I immediately hopped onto Google and searched "2016 Jaguar XF for sale", and let me tell you - you know what? I won't tell you. You can easily search yourself and see that people are giving these cars away compared to some other options in the midsize luxury car space. Doing that made me wonder about the electronics - though they worked well for a couple of days, would they work that well long-term? I thought about this some more, and I decided that frankly, I wouldn't care too much. The core things that make this XF appealing don't have a single thing to do with the infotainment system. What's more, this XF doesn't have a trick air suspension or adaptive dampers. If I got a decent warranty, I think I wouldn't worry too much about actually owning this car.

I see this car as a statement of success, and as a source of driving pleasure for its owner. It's not a unique niche - in fact, I'd argue it really is the essence of what the midsize (and to an extent, compact) luxury sedan segment is trying to do. "Show off a little, but do it with elegance." "Have fun, but do it in a suit. Maybe not with a tie though. Just the jacket." Driving this car made me feel successful. Maybe for just a little while, I experienced someone's version of "success".
Old 07-28-19, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, i like your writing style!
Old 07-29-19, 06:07 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great review, I enjoyed the read. Exactly what I look for in a review.
Old 07-29-19, 06:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree great write up. Thanks.
Old 07-29-19, 07:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Thanks all! Just trying to experience more cars and share what I find.
Old 07-29-19, 08:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Hope you enjoyed the V6. They only make the XE in 4 cylinder models now
Old 07-29-19, 08:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hope you enjoyed the V6. They only make the XE in 4 cylinder models now
Yeah even the XF has lost the 35t trim. Now, you have to get the "S" in order to get the V6.

It's a great powertrain. I think it could be a bit smoother at idle, but once the car is moving, it's a treat. Torque everywhere and no turbo lag because it's supercharged.
Old 07-29-19, 08:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Were your pics taken in the loop while in Chicago?
Old 07-29-19, 08:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Were your pics taken in the loop while in Chicago?
Yes. I apologize for the lack of photos, but we were kinda busy, and it was awkward trying to find anywhere decent to get pictures.

We were staying at Palmer House, and the car's parked out front in those exterior shots.