Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the end of buick cars in the u.s. Near?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 05:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ford is doing just fine without Mercury. GM could always just cut Buick and GMC and just leave Chevrolet and Cadillac
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Brands come and go and they change all the time. I would be sad if the Buick brand was to go dark. There are not a lot of people who want sedans anymore in the Buick price point, these people want cross-overs which are not sedans, yet they are not SUVs. A Buick Enclave, for close to LaCrosse money is a more sensible and batter yet a more useful purchase than a big hulking sedan. Same powertrain too
great post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Nothing will kill a product more effectively than those in charge blindly adhering to what a "true" Buick (or whatever) is in the face of clear market shifts and trends.
To me, the only "true" Banana Republic store is one with a safari Jeep jutting out the front of it.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Oh this is a fun game. The only 'true' Hot Topic store is one with a Emo cave entrance
ha this is in line with 'no true scotsman' fallacy.

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
Person B: "But my uncle Angus is a Scotsman and he puts sugar on his porridge."
Person A: "But no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."
more at the link.
Old 10-08-19, 08:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Brands come and go and they change all the time. I would be sad if the Buick brand was to go dark. There are not a lot of people who want sedans anymore in the Buick price point, these people want cross-overs which are not sedans, yet they are not SUVs. A Buick Enclave, for close to LaCrosse money is a more sensible and batter yet a more useful purchase than a big hulking sedan. Same powertrain too
You keep making these generality statements about your preferences or what you feel as fact.

Not everyone sees a CUV as a more sensible or better more useful purchase then a sedan, most CUV's seat the same amount of people as sedans and offer the same basic room in the trunk, sometimes less, CUV's have the advantage of folding the rear seats down if there are no rear seat passengers for more room, that is about it, so do hatchback cars. Sedans often get better fuel economy, are quicker, and handle better then CUV's, there are trade offs. Who makes "big hulking sedans" these days aside from the Rolls Royce Phantom? Even a Lexus LS is not all that big or heavy compared to the real big hulking vehicles for sale, full sized SUV's like the Tahoe, Escalade, Navigator, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, QX80, etc.
Old 10-08-19, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You keep making these generality statements about your preferences or what you feel as fact.

Not everyone sees a CUV as a more sensible or better more useful purchase then a sedan, most CUV's seat the same amount of people as sedans and offer the same basic room in the trunk, sometimes less, CUV's have the advantage of folding the rear seats down if there are no rear seat passengers for more room, that is about it, so do hatchback cars. Sedans often get better fuel economy, are quicker, and handle better then CUV's, there are trade offs. Who makes "big hulking sedans" these days aside from the Rolls Royce Phantom? Even a Lexus LS is not all that big or heavy compared to the real big hulking vehicles for sale, full sized SUV's like the Tahoe, Escalade, Navigator, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, QX80, etc.
Old 10-08-19, 11:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

This doesn't negate your point, but this got me thinking about vehicle length so I looked these (and a few others) up. I was a bit surprised at how long some of these sedans have gotten. An LS500 is actually longer than an LX570.

Lexus LX570 200"
Cadillac Escalade 203.9"
Chevrolet Tahoe 204"
Lexus LS500 206.1"
Mercedes S560 206.9"
BMW 207.4"
Nissan Armada 208.9"
Lincoln Navigator 210"
Ford Expedition 210"
Old 10-08-19, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Not everyone sees a CUV as a more sensible or better more useful purchase then a sedan, most CUV's seat the same amount of people as sedans and offer the same basic room in the trunk, sometimes less, CUV's have the advantage of folding the rear seats down if there are no rear seat passengers for more room, that is about it, so do hatchback cars. Sedans often get better fuel economy, are quicker, and handle better then CUV's, there are trade offs.
Except that her generality statements seem to be backed up by what buyer behavior is showing. Clearly people are buying crossovers instead of sedans when they go to make a purchase in larger and larger percentages. Thats just a fact, so clearly to more and more people they are a "more sensible or better more useful purchase".

I spent a week in a Toyota Camry, and I made a realization. I like LUXURY SEDANS better than CUVs/SUVs, but I no longer like SEDANS better. The Camry was utterly underwhelming. Low, poor visibility, not nice to drive. Not especially refined. If you asked me if I would rather have this vehicle, or say a 2 row crossover? I'd take the crossover. For now, I still prefer my luxury sedan, but I can totally see my tastes evolving there too. There was a time when I would have chosen a rental Camry over a rental Grand Cherokee or Ford Edge or something like that every time, but today I wouldnt.
Old 10-08-19, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta go with Steve on this one. Can't beat a full-sized luxury sedan when it comes to comfort, but smaller sedans aren't that impressive to drive (the now-discontinued Verano, in some ways, was one of the rare exceptions). In fact, I actually prefer the Lincoln Corsair (which I've just finished reviewing, working on the write-up) to some small sedans.
Old 10-09-19, 08:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that her generality statements seem to be backed up by what buyer behavior is showing. Clearly people are buying crossovers instead of sedans when they go to make a purchase in larger and larger percentages. Thats just a fact, so clearly to more and more people they are a "more sensible or better more useful purchase".

I spent a week in a Toyota Camry, and I made a realization. I like LUXURY SEDANS better than CUVs/SUVs, but I no longer like SEDANS better. The Camry was utterly underwhelming. Low, poor visibility, not nice to drive. Not especially refined. If you asked me if I would rather have this vehicle, or say a 2 row crossover? I'd take the crossover. For now, I still prefer my luxury sedan, but I can totally see my tastes evolving there too. There was a time when I would have chosen a rental Camry over a rental Grand Cherokee or Ford Edge or something like that every time, but today I wouldnt.
What trim level was the Camry? Was it a Limited?
Old 10-09-19, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
What trim level was the Camry? Was it a Limited?
No, it was an SE and it was a 4cyl model. V6 is a huge upgrade in that car.
Old 10-09-19, 10:19 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In fact, I actually prefer the Lincoln Corsair (which I've just finished reviewing, working on the write-up) to some small sedans.
I think the Earth just stopped rotating for a minute, Mike
Old 10-09-19, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think the Earth just stopped rotating for a minute, Mike
It stopped rotating when Mary Barra decided to close up six sedan-producing plants and lay off tens of thousands of workers. That's when the UAW decided to hit back....and we may also see UNIFOR hitting back, too

Although there is no doubt that the Lincoln Corsair was a good move, given some of Ford's recent actions, it will be interesting to see if and the the UAW eventually targets them, too.
Old 10-09-19, 12:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There may be more people buying crossovers in certain segments but it does not mean sedans are "over" and people don't want them anymore.

Your experience with the Camry is similar to mine, I never liked them, when I had them as rentals I never cared for them, extremely boring, felt chintzy and dull on the inside, couldn't wait to get back to my car even when I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse. The new one does look chintzy on the inside too, I don't like it. That doesn't mean all family sedans are as boring and dull as Camry's, I think if you had a Accord Sport/Touring you would have liked it and felt totally different, they are much nicer, nicer interior, drive/handle better, look better.

I recently had a new RX350 as a loaner and I did not like it, interior had noticeable cost cutting, engine was pretty thrashy/loud in a bad way, had one of the weakest "300hp" I ever experienced(MDX feels and is much quicker), it did not drive or handle well, boring to drive, ugly looks, not all that refined(bamboo trim was nice) I was shocked so many people buy them after driving it, I could not wait to get back in my GS350 that was 4 or 5 years older. I would never choose a RX350 over a GS, I wouldn't even want one over a Accord Sport/Touring or ES. Camry, that is a different story, I have no interest in ever owning a Camry after driving them even though I know they will be very reliable and there are several CUV's I would rather have over a Camry or Passat and some other sedans.
Old 10-09-19, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There may be more people buying crossovers in certain segments but it does not mean sedans are "over" and people don't want them anymore.
I totally agree, and I've said that...but the shift in buyer behavior towards SUVs and Crossovers and away from sedans is pretty clear.

Your experience with the Camry is similar to mine, I never liked them, when I had them as rentals I never cared for them, extremely boring, felt chintzy and dull on the inside, couldn't wait to get back to my car even when I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse. The new one does look chintzy on the inside too, I don't like it. That doesn't mean all family sedans are as boring and dull as Camry's, I think if you had a Accord Sport/Touring you would have liked it and felt totally different, they are much nicer, nicer interior, drive/handle better, look better.
I've driven the new Accord a couple of times, better than the Camry but I'd rather have a crossover I think.

I recently had a new RX350 as a loaner and I did not like it, interior had noticeable cost cutting, engine was pretty thrashy/loud in a bad way, had one of the weakest "300hp" I ever experienced(MDX feels and is much quicker), it did not drive or handle well, boring to drive, ugly looks, not all that refined(bamboo trim was nice) I was shocked so many people buy them after driving it, I could not wait to get back in my GS350 that was 4 or 5 years older. I would never choose a RX350 over a GS, I wouldn't even want one over a Accord Sport/Touring or ES. Camry, that is a different story, I have no interest in ever owning a Camry after driving them even though I know they will be very reliable and there are several CUV's I would rather have over a Camry or Passat and some other sedans.
The RX is not a good example because its not a great vehicle, and is certainly inferior as a vehicle compared to your GS. But, you should drive a new X5 or a new GLE or a Range Rover Sport and compare THOSE to your GS. The RX isnt in the same league.
Old 10-09-19, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You hit the nail on the head. Toyota does excel in some things (notably, reliability), but they have been doing a number of cheap interiors and using sub-standard materials inside for some time now. However, even the interiors vary quite a bit, from vehicle to vehicle, in material quality.....and, even so, Lexus uses some of the best fake leather on the market.
Old 10-09-19, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am happy someone sort of sees how the trend is going. We have a sedan, hatch, and two SUVs. I would likely will never ever buy another sedan, we were looking for hatchbacks recently. A hatch or cross-over to replace offers more value, practicality and for the most part, they ride just as nice (if not better sometimes) and are close in fuel efficiency. I see a lot customers come to my office, and most of the executives are now driving cross overs.
Old 10-09-19, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I am happy someone sort of sees how the trend is going.
Whether it is a happy trend or not is open to debate.

I would likely will never ever buy another sedan
Remember my earlier posts about never saying never?

A hatch or cross-over to replace offers more value, practicality and for the most part, they ride just as nice (if not better sometimes) and are close in fuel efficiency.
While I respect your opinion, in most cases, no, they do not ride just as nice. Yes, some of it is subjective, and yes, there are a few exceptions, but they are generally in the XL class with very long wheelbases and soft suspensions, A.K.A. Escalade and Navigator.

Even the new Aviator and Corsair, while very good for SUVs, still, over bumps, are not like a Continental or MKZ. Having said that, though, the Corsair is arguably the best American-brand compact SUV I've sampled.....I'll go into that more in detail on my write-up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-19 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the end of buick cars in the u.s. Near?