Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the end of buick cars in the u.s. Near?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 06:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I always liked this car, but I guess it is one step closer to the end of Buick. Sad to see the car go.
Old 10-12-19, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

A polish-made convertible sold by buick. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 10-12-19, 06:46 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The last time I was in a Buick dealership they had all the models lined up in row. As I walked along reading the window sticker it jumped out at me that most were all assembled in foreign countries, China, Korea, and Mexico. No thanks, Buick needs to go. GM would be better of with just Chevy and Cadillac.

By the way the Mercury I owned was not as MM describes by sweeping generalizations.
Old 10-12-19, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think that Mercury and Buick are very similar nameplates. Buick has tried over the last few years to differentiate themselves and clearly Mercury hasn't existed since then so they havent tried anything. For the most part, Buicks are nicer trimmed Chevrolets same as Mercurys were slightly nicer trimmed Fords
Old 10-12-19, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Just as we have a financially polarized country, this kind of pseudo-premium brand is either too expensive for lower income people, or not nice enough (or brand perceived as good enough) for higher income people.
Old 10-12-19, 07:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think that Mercury and Buick are very similar nameplates. Buick has tried over the last few years to differentiate themselves and clearly Mercury hasn't existed since then so they havent tried anything. For the most part, Buicks are nicer trimmed Chevrolets same as Mercurys were slightly nicer trimmed Fords
Spot on!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just as we have a financially polarized country, this kind of pseudo-premium brand is either too expensive for lower income people, or not nice enough (or brand perceived as good enough) for higher income people.
In the US, there is significant population that likes the price point. I do see anything wrong with having Buick around.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The last time I was in a Buick dealership they had all the models lined up in row. As I walked along reading the window sticker it jumped out at me that most were all assembled in foreign countries, China, Korea, and Mexico. No thanks, Buick needs to go. GM would be better of with just Chevy and Cadillac.

By the way the Mercury I owned was not as MM describes by sweeping generalizations.
GMs thing is huge discounts.
Old 10-12-19, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, its in a weird middle space that is hard to occupy nowadays.
Old 10-12-19, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Right, its in a weird middle space that is hard to occupy nowadays.
Yes. Acura has struggled with this too.
Old 10-12-19, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In the US, there is significant population that likes the price point. I do see anything wrong with having Buick around.
The question is can GM target the same consumer with high end Chevrolet trims without the cost of another nameplate in Buick?

I think the answer is yes, especially because we're mainly talking about SUVs and Crossovers here. Its always been my experience that while "Chevrolet" cars have a downscale reputation, their trucks and utilities do not have that problem. With most consumers buying crossovers now and GM really not selling any sedans anymore as Chevrolets or Buicks, I see no reason for Buick to exist.

As an example, a consumer will pay $50,000 for a Traverse, but they wont pay $50,000 for an Impala. No problem paying $70,000 for a Tahoe or Suburban, they'll roll that Tahoe right up to the valet at the country club but they would never do that in an Impala.
Old 10-12-19, 08:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The question is can GM target the same consumer with high end Chevrolet trims without the cost of another nameplate in Buick?

I think the answer is yes, especially because we're mainly talking about SUVs and Crossovers here. Its always been my experience that while "Chevrolet" cars have a downscale reputation, their trucks and utilities do not have that problem. With most consumers buying crossovers now and GM really not selling any sedans anymore as Chevrolets or Buicks, I see no reason for Buick to exist.

As an example, a consumer will pay $50,000 for a Traverse, but they wont pay $50,000 for an Impala. No problem paying $70,000 for a Tahoe or Suburban, they'll roll that Tahoe right up to the valet at the country club but they would never do that in an Impala.
I am not sure if GM can target the same consumer. Maybe. I do see you point. But also, it does not cost GM much more to produce a Buick than a Chevy. It’s all profit as the product is selling for a higher price.
Old 10-12-19, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Just as we have a financially polarized country, this kind of pseudo-premium brand is either too expensive for lower income people.
Too expensive for low-income people? I paid 25K for my Verano (and, with a couple of small exceptions, loved it)...that's less than what many Corollas and Civics cost. Veranos actually started in the low 20s. Unfortunately, Buick removed that option from the American market.

And, even today, the least-expensive Buick (the Encore) is also the best seller.
Old 10-12-19, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not sure if GM can target the same consumer. Maybe. I do see you point. But also, it does not cost GM much more to produce a Buick than a Chevy. It’s all profit as the product is selling for a higher price.
I think they can in a crossover or SUV, not as much in a car.

It costs GM a LOT to have Buick and Chevrolet vs just Chevrolet. You need two different body designs, stampings for them, two sets of trim, two entire sets of interior panels, etc. A higher trim Chevrolet would simply build on the body and design of the Chevy model. Remember, Buick is more differentiated from Chevy than say, GMC is.

It absolutely costs them more to build a Traverse AND an Enclave than it does to add another trim level with a snazzier grill, some different interior trims, wheels to the Traverse.
Old 10-12-19, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

GMC would probably be a better case for elimination than Buick. The division, as it stands today (the 2Gen Acadia is probably the only exception) is essentially nothing but slightly more-upscale and somewhat rebadged Chevy trucks and SUVs. Buick is significantly more diversified.

In fact, IMO, instead of eliminating Saturn, GM should probably have axed GMC instead, and kept Saturn, returning it to its plastic-bodied vehicle roots and customer-friendly operating procedures, which were a big success with the public. Saturn went downhill when it abandoned its roots and diversified into a bunch of rebadges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-19 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-12-19, 08:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Bring back the Regal Grand National. Make it a more luxurious muscle car. With rumors of the Camaro going away it is a good opportunity for a Regal, GM has no lux coupes, it would fill a niche, muscle cars get decent sales and address one of the things people don't like about the Camaro, the interior and visibility. They already have a platform and plenty of engines.
Old 10-12-19, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GMC trucks are selling well though.

Quick Reply: Is the end of buick cars in the u.s. Near?