Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the end of buick cars in the u.s. Near?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think they can in a crossover or SUV, not as much in a car.

It costs GM a LOT to have Buick and Chevrolet vs just Chevrolet. You need two different body designs, stampings for them, two sets of trim, two entire sets of interior panels, etc. A higher trim Chevrolet would simply build on the body and design of the Chevy model. Remember, Buick is more differentiated from Chevy than say, GMC is.

It absolutely costs them more to build a Traverse AND an Enclave than it does to add another trim level with a snazzier grill, some different interior trims, wheels to the Traverse.
Worldwide, Buick sold 1.4 million Buick’s in 2018. So I am not quite sure how any argument of cost is valid. There are more Buick’s sold each and every year across the globe than there are Lexus models. So I think the brand deserves to stay.
Old 10-12-19, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Worldwide, Buick sold 1.4 million Buick’s in 2018. So I am not quite sure how any argument of cost is valid. There are more Buick’s sold each and every year across the globe than there are Lexus models. So I think the brand deserves to stay.
I'm talking about the US. Obviously Buick as a brand makes sense say in China. Thats why Buick wants to build cars in China and import them here.
Old 10-12-19, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm talking about the US. Obviously Buick as a brand makes sense say in China. Thats why Buick wants to build cars in China and import them here.
So what is the issue? The develop costs to make US Buick’s are all baked in. The Regal and Tour X are just rebadged Opels. Buick sells 215K models a year in the US with less models than Lexus does. That is a better average per model than the Lexus brand. It’s easy money for GM.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-12-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-12-19, 10:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So what is the issue? The develop costs to make US Buick’s are all baked in. Buick sells 215K models a year in the US with less models. That is a better average per model than the Lexus brand.
Then why don't they just keep on selling big Buick sedans here since the cost of their development is all baked in?

The sort of Buicks that are selling in the US are not models that appeal in China the same way, so there are diverging development costs, there are factory tooling costs here as well, and those costs would be reduced if they could capture the same buyers with Chevy.

And why do you always try and loop Lexus in to these discussions? For instance in any discussion about the Continental you always bring up the LS. Lexus has nothing to do with this.
Old 10-12-19, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Then why don't they just keep on selling big Buick sedans here since the cost of their development is all baked in?

The sort of Buicks that are selling in the US are not models that appeal in China the same way, so there are diverging development costs, there are factory tooling costs here as well, and those costs would be reduced if they could capture the same buyers with Chevy.

And why do you always try and loop Lexus in to these discussions? For instance in any discussion about the Continental you always bring up the LS. Lexus has nothing to do with this.
The LaCrosse would be sold in US (in low volumes, at this point) if there were no political issues with China or the dumb tariffs. Would of been just like the Envision and imported from China. LaCrosse is quite popular in China. The Chevrolet Impala would live in on the US if GM could import them from China. Same with Verano. Verano, Impala, and LaCrosse all live on, US would be a dumping ground for those models.

I do not agree with the above, but it would be what it is if it were possible.

As for the Lexus comment, was just illustrating that Buick sells quite a few units worldwide, more so than Lexus. So if Lexus can have smaller volume models for sale on the US, why can’t Buick? People like to crap on Buick way too much, it’s just a higher profit margin vehicle. You said it costs GM a lot to have Buick, but I don’t think it does considering the development costs are based on 1.4 million vehicles sold per year.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-12-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-12-19, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LaCrosse would be sold in US (in low volumes, at this point) if there were no political issues with China or the dumb tariffs. Would of been just like the Envision and imported from China. LaCrosse is quite popular in China. The Chevrolet Impala would live in on the US if GM could import them from China. Same with Verano. Verano, Impala, and LaCrosse all live on, US would be a dumping ground for those models.
Agreed.

As for the Lexus comment, was just illustrating that Buick sells quite a few units worldwide, more so than Lexus. So if Lexus can have smaller volume models for sale on the US, why can’t Buick? People like to crap on Buick way too much, it’s just a higher profit margin vehicle. You said it costs GM a lot to have Buick, but I don’t think it does considering the development costs are based on 1.4 million vehicles sold per year.
The difference between GM and Toyota is that GM has financial problems where Toyota doesn't.
Old 10-12-19, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The difference between GM and Toyota is that GM has financial problems where Toyota doesn't.
I perceive it differently than you I guess. GM has been pretty profitable the last few years. I like M Barra as she has positioned GM for a better future than before the last recession disaster. GM is still #1 for market share in the US although they lose some of that every year. And their investment in China was the right thing to do. A few things I don’t agree with such as plant closures in US and Canada but killing the US built sedans was the correct thing. Obviously GM is not as financially sound as Toyota.

What financial issues aside from the current money they have lost during the current strike would you be referring to?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-12-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-12-19, 02:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A polish-made convertible sold by buick. What could possibly go wrong?
Well i'd be worried about getting t-boned by a Benz or Bimmer while going about my own business.
Old 10-12-19, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I perceive it differently than you I guess. GM has been pretty profitable the last few years. I like M Barra as she has positioned GM for a better future than before the last recession disaster. GM is still #1 for market share in the US although they lose some of that every year. And their investment in China was the right thing to do. A few things I don’t agree with such as plant closures in US and Canada but killing the US built sedans was the correct thing. Obviously GM is not as financially sound as Toyota.

What financial issues aside from the current money they have lost during the current strike would you be referring to?
GM still has a lot of financial challenges, this strike will only serve to deepen them. They're doing better obviously, but many fund managers etc have been shedding GM for a while now, and their overall financial picture is still fairly weak.
Old 10-12-19, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

People like to crap on Buick way too much,
You got that right. Understatement of the year.

Buick was founded in May of 1903, beating even Ford and Cadillac as the oldest surviving American nameplate. That was no co-incidence.
Old 12-04-19, 09:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Buick Regal Is Dead, Leaving Buick with an All-SUV Lineup

With the departure of the Regal, LaCrosse, and Cascada, Buick will soon sell nothing but crossovers in the U.S.Buick is dropping the Regal from its U.S. lineup after the 2020 model year, including Sportback, GS, and TourX wagon models, spokesperson Stuart Fowle confirmed to C/D. Given that the Cascada convertible and LaCrosse sedan are also dead for the U.S., this means that Buick will soon sell only SUVs in America.

The current-generation Regal, which introduced a new hatchback bodystyle and the Subaru Outback–esque TourX wagon variant, arrived for the 2018 model year and is based on the European Opel Insignia. After GM sold Opel to French automaker PSA in 2018, GM worked out an arrangement to pay Opel to continue building the car in Germany. Opel's production of the U.S.-market Regal will end sometime soon, although Buick will continue to build a sedan version of the Regal in China for the Chinese market.

If you take a look at Buick's sales numbers, the move toward SUVs makes a lot of business sense. Through the third quarter of 2019, Buick's three car models—the Cascada, LaCrosse, and Regal—have only made up around 12 percent of the brand's sales in the U.S. overall. The Regal has been the best-selling of these three this year, at 8849 units sold, but that number is dwarfed by the top-selling Encore subcompact SUV's 73,905 units sold. The Encore, Envision, and Enclave SUVs will soon be joined by a new Encore GX model, which will slot in between the Encore and Envision in terms of size and price.
Source: Car and Driver
Old 12-04-19, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Buick, unless GM evolves the brand into something more meaningful will just decay and dry out in the US market.