Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

July 2019 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 02:22 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Do people actually stop considering a car because it lacks AA or apple CarPlay? If you really liked a vehicle, that shouldn't stop you from buying it. I hardly use mine. A wireless version like BMW and Audi would be a much better improvement though.
For me, if there were two contenders and one had APC and the other one didn’t, I would choose the one with APC. That is assuming a tie between two vehicles.

If if I am buying brand new, I would want something current. To each their own, many great choices to choose from. With prices so high, I want most bang for my buck.
Old 08-04-19, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default July Sales up for Toyota/Honda/Subaru; Ford/GM/FCA switch to quarterly figures

Looks like we can't post monthly sales trends across the board any more.....different companies not use different schedules and record-keeping.

I did not directly copy and post the actual sales charts because they would not copy in the proper format, and jumbled up the figures......click on the actual website for that.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/toyot...onthly-reports

DAVID PHILLIPS

Incentive spending projections for July were mixed, with J.D. Power estimating average spiffs on new vehicles rose to $4,074 from $3,849 while ALG estimates that discounts dropped 2.6 percent to $3,671.

Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai and Kia posted higher U.S. sales in July while Nissan and Mazda fell in the first monthly sales report without a Detroit 3 participant.

Hyundai’s 12 percent increase marked its 12 straight monthly advance. At Toyota Motor Sales and American Honda, gains at the mainstream brands offset declines in their luxury units. Nissan and its Infiniti unit were both down as the company continued to scale back its incentive offerings.

July marks a new era for U.S. sales results tallied by Automotive News as Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles join General Motors in abandoning monthly reports in favor of quarterly. The absence of companies representing 45 percent of U.S. sales will undercut the value of the monthly data as a barometer of the industry’s health.

Industry sales had fallen each month through June, and most forecasts indicated July would be down as well.

GM went to quarterly reports last year, abandoning a tradition that begin with the demise of 10-day reports in the early 1990s. Ford stopped public release of its numbers this year while continuing to issue figures to the Automotive News Data Center. FCA will next report in October, at the close of the third quarter. Excluding those three companies, along with Tesla Inc., U.S. light-vehicle sales rose 1.3 percent in July.

At Honda, July volume edged up 1.9 percent to 141,296 units, with sales up 2.5 percent at the Honda division but slipping 3.7 percent at Acura. American Honda, ending two straight months of declines, said total light-truck demand increased 2.1 percent while car deliveries advanced 1.8 percent in July.

Honda brand light-truck sales, benefiting from the new Passport and higher CR-V and Ridgeline demand, rose 3.1 percent to 68,778, setting a record for the month, the company said.

July volume rose 0.4 percent at the Toyota division but slipped 1.5 percent at Lexus. Overall, Toyota Motor's car deliveries rose 3.6 percent while truck demand slipped 1.7 percent.

At Nissan, which continues to reduce incentive spending and fleet business, volume dropped 9.1 percent, with car deliveries sliding 25 percent. Sales dropped 8.9 percent at the Nissan brand and 11 percent at Infiniti, extending the luxury brand's losing streak to seven months.

Subaru, with new and redesigned crossovers and cars, extended its streak of year over year monthly gains to 92 with a 7.9 percent rise in July volume.

DAVID PHILLIPS

Hyundai's U.S. light-vehicle sales advanced 12 percent in July, helped by higher retail demand driven by new and redesigned crossovers. It was the 12 consecutive month of year over year gains for the brand.

Retail deliveries rose 5 percent in July, Hyundai said, and fleet sales represented 10 percent of volume, or roughly 5,700 units.

In a market increasingly propelled by light trucks, Hyundai is benefiting from the introduction of new and redesigned crossovers: the Santa Fe, Kona and Palisade. Hyundai said retail demand for three crossovers -- Santa Fe, Tucson and Kona -- rose by 11 percent or more last month.

Volume edged up 0.6 percent at Kia and the VW brand produced it's fifth straight gain, but smallest of the year, with a 2.2 percent increase.

Mazda posted its 13th straight monthly decline with a 3.5 percent dip in July volume. Sales of both the Mazda3 and Mazda6 plunged more than 30 percent.

Among other automakers, sales dropped 13 percent at Mitsubishi and 34 percent at Mini. At other luxury brands, sales rose 4.7 percent at BMW, 0.8 percent at Audi, 23 percent at Porsche, 2 percent at Volvo, 4 percent at Land Rover, 7.4 percent at Jaguar and 158 percent at Genesis.

Market cools

U.S. light-vehicle demand was forecast to cool for the seventh straight month in July, several analysts predicted ahead of Thursday's reports. Across the industry, U.S. deliveries dropped 2.4 percent in the first half of the year, with weaker retail demand offset by higher fleet sales.

Higher interest rates and rising transaction prices are undermining showroom traffic, analysts say, even as overall U.S. economic and job growth continues, though at a slower rate.

Average new-vehicle retail transaction prices, driven by the steady consumer shift from cars to light trucks, continue to rise, and were on track to reach $33,065 last month, up sharply from $31,767 in July 2018, J.D. Power estimates.

U.S. LIGHT-VEHICLE SALES, JULY & YTD
Fiat Chrysler is joining Ford and GM in ending monthly U.S. sales reports. They all now release quarterly. Automotive News will continue to report on automakers that issue monthly sales data.

SAAR outlook

The seasonally adjusted, annualized pace of sales is forecast to come in at 16.6 million, based on average estimates from J.D. Power/LMC Automotive, ALG, Edmunds and *** Automotive.

If the forecast holds, it will mark the fourth month this year the SAAR has dropped below 17 million. The sales pace came in at 17.29 million in June and 16.73 million in July 2018. The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis is expected to update and release today new seasonal factors used to the calculate the SAAR.

Discounts

Incentive spending projections were mixed last month, with J.D. Power estimating average spiffs rose to $4,074 from $3,849 while ALG estimates that discounts dropped 2.6 percent to $3,671. (See chart below.) But with inventories starting to stack up on many dealer lots, some automakers enticed consumers with sweeter deals, notably on older stock. Lincoln offered zero percent financing and deferred up to three initial monthly payments on select 2019 models. Honda dangled 36 monthly lease payments as low as $169, and $2,799 due at signing, on some 2019 Civic models.

Odds, ends

• There were 25 selling days last month, one more than July 2018.
  • New vehicles are lingering on dealer lots more often, J.D. Power says. Days to turn, or the average number of days a new vehicle sits on a dealer lot before being sold to a retail customer, was 73 through July 21, up 6 days from July 2018.
  • Fleet deliveries are expected to total 218,900 in July, down 0.4 percent from July 2018, J.D. Power said. Fleet volume is expected to account for 16 percent of total light-vehicle sales, up from 15 percent last year.
  • The average interest rate for a new-vehicle loan dropped for the third month in a row in July, hitting its lowest level of 2019, Edmunds said. The annual percentage rate on new financed vehicles averaged 5.8 percent in July, compared to 6 percent in June. And 35 percent of shoppers who financed a new vehicle in July received an interest rate below 4 percent, compared to 31 percent of buyers who financed purchases in June.
Quotable

"July sales in total are coming near where we expected – a slightly slower pace than the YTD average. Clearly, the market remains on solid ground and buyers are still in the new-car market even with higher prices. Strong sales of some small cars may suggest that affordability shoppers have not abandoned the new-vehicle market. Given the strength of used-vehicle prices, and supply constraints limiting selection, more interest in lower-priced new vehicles is not surprising."

-- Charlie Chesbrough, senior economist for *** Automotive

“There are signals that auto sales in the second half of 2019 are poised to outperform expectations. While trade risk remains a threat, transaction prices continue to rise and economic growth is moderating, sales in the second half of the year could outperform expectations consistent with strength in the previous five years.”

-- Jeff Schuster head of global vehicle forecasts at LMC Automotive

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 03:12 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Porsche

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300895338.html

Porsche Reports Record U.S. Retail Sales in July

No summer slowdown as monthly and year-to-date sales both increase

News provided by

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Aug 01, 2019, 16:16 ET

ATLANTA, Aug. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of the Porsche 911, 718 Boxster and Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne, and Macan model lines, today announced July retail sales rose 23.3 percent year-over-year to a new record for the month of 4,956 vehicles. In the period January through July, Porsche dealers delivered a total of 35,213 new cars, up 5.3 percent from a year ago.

Deliveries of the new generation Cayenne quadrupled in July from a year ago.

"The new generation Cayenne and refreshed Macan models are thrilling even more U.S. customers as the sports cars of the SUV market," said Klaus Zellmer, President and CEO of PCNA.

Deliveries of the redesigned Cayenne quadrupled in July from a year ago, when the previous generation was selling out. Macan sales for July were up 8.8 percent compared to July 2018. Sales of the next generation 911 will commence shortly with the latest Porsche icon promising to once again set new standards in its segment.

Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales in the U.S. totaled 2,069 vehicles in July, up 18.4 percent year-over-year.

Old 08-05-19, 03:41 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Tesla Estimates

https://insideevs.com/news/362790/te...les-july-2019/

Tesla Model 3, S & X Sales In U.S. In July 2019

ompared to the first month of Q2, July's figures seem quite solid.

The month of July is now behind us, so here we present estimated Tesla U.S. sales figures. July is not an end-of-the-quarter month, so we don't expect earth-shattering sales results.

With the recent news of the
$50,000 Tesla pickup truck, as well as selecting Fremont as the default location to produce the Model Y, there's a lot of work ahead for Tesla, but let's now turn our focus to the vehicles currently on sale.

Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard: July 2019

Tesla Model 3 Deliveries In U.S.

Our estimates show that Tesla delivered some 13,450 Model 3s to U.S. buyers in July 2019. That's down from the 21,225 delivered in June (end of the quarter month) and about the same as the 13,950 Model 3 delivered to U.S. buyers in May 2019 and well above the 10,050 Model 3 delivered to U.S. buyers in April 2019.

The 13,450 is down a bit compared to the year-over-year figure from July 2018 (
14,250 Model 3 estimated sales in the U.S.).

Moving on to the Tesla Model S and Model X

For July, we estimate the following for U.S. sales of these two Teslas:
  • Tesla Model S - 975
  • Tesla Model X - 1,225
These combined figures are quite a bit below average for a July month. For example, in July 2018, Tesla sold 1,200 Model S and 1,325 Model X. The July 2019 figures are well below June's numbers, but that was an end-of-quarter month.

Quarter over quarter growth

We should point out that if we're looking for a proper comparative set, then the 1st month of Q2 (April) is where we should put our focus. In April 2019, Tesla's estimated sales are as follows:
  • Model 3: 10,050
  • Model S: 825
  • Model X: 1,050
Comparing July 2019 to April 2019, all three Teslas see improved sales.

Old 08-05-19, 05:49 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I think a lot of people are holding out on buying the Model S right now due to rumors of big changes in the coming months. Musk denied that their would be a big update, but I don't really believe him. The just brought back free supercharging for Model S and Model X. That makes me think that something might be coming soon. He may be giving that out so that customers purchasing now won't be mad and cancel their orders when they announce the changes.
Old 08-05-19, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I think a lot of people are holding out on buying the Model S right now due to rumors of big changes in the coming months. Musk denied that their would be a big update, but I don't really believe him. The just brought back free supercharging for Model S and Model X. That makes me think that something might be coming soon. He may be giving that out so that customers purchasing now won't be mad and cancel their orders when they announce the changes.
i think they're giving out free supercharging again because x and s sales aren't meeting their goals. if there's 'big changes' coming i don't think the free charges would necessarily make current buyers feel better, but maybe that's the thinking...
Old 08-05-19, 08:18 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think they're giving out free supercharging again because x and s sales aren't meeting their goals. if there's 'big changes' coming i don't think the free charges would necessarily make current buyers feel better, but maybe that's the thinking...
I agree. It won't make a difference, but that's one of the theories on the Tesla boards. I think the sales are lagging because of all the rumors. Everybody wants the latest and greatest. Quite a few customers have been unhappy in the past because of the price and equipment changes that happen without notice while they are waiting on their already placed order. And I understand that. I'd want to cancel and reorder too. I'd also hate to be the person that dropped $145K on a loaded P100DL a year or two ago and see that the same car can be had for around $105K today. That's tough to swallow as a consumer.
Old 08-06-19, 12:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Do people actually stop considering a car because it lacks AA or apple CarPlay? If you really liked a vehicle, that shouldn't stop you from buying it. I hardly use mine. A wireless version like BMW and Audi would be a much better improvement though.
Not if there is a subscription associated with it after a trial period. I'd take the plug all day over that nonsense.
Old 08-06-19, 11:32 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

LC Sales so far in U.S.:

2017 - 2,487
2018 - 1,979
2019 - 764 YTD - January thru July, my projection 1,500 (I believe Lexus projected sales of LC is 4,000)
Total = 5,230

8 Series sales since inception in U.S.:

2018 - 223
2019 - 1,750 YTD - January thru July
Total = 1,973
Old 08-07-19, 05:20 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

1,750 units in the first 7 months of the year is not bad, because that is potentially some 3,500 a year, and that's much more than LC ever achieved.
Old 08-07-19, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
1,750 units in the first 7 months of the year is not bad, because that is potentially some 3,500 a year, and that's much more than LC ever achieved.
Yea the LC is just priced and positioned all wrong. It is in desperate need of a powertrain upgrade. Clearly there arent enough people out there to fork out money for the sound of a V8. If they must, just have the V8 as a decontented based model and charge $80k for it so the early adapters wont feel as burned. At its current $100k price point, nothing short of a 525hp tt v8 will do or to keep it relevant.
Old 08-08-19, 03:26 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Lexus

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70016242.html

Lexus International Releases 2019 Mid-Year Sales Report

From Toyota Newsroom| August 08 , 2019

Lexus International on August 7 announced it sold 360,045 vehicles worldwide in the 1st 6 months of 2019 (January to June). This sales performance represents a 10% increase compared to the same period last year (January to June 2018).

2019CYTD sales performance reflects increased consumer demand for the new "ES," sedan and newly introduced "UX" crossover, as well as the overall expanded luxury market in China.

"We are honored that our vehicles are accepted by many consumers across the world. This year, the new RC F and RX will arrive to showrooms, and we are ready to attract a broader audience to the brand. Meanwhile, we continue to bring the latest features and thinking to vehicles, with ongoing attention to detail and craftsmanship for our customers. We endeavor to provide amazing experiences exceeding customers' expectations, through our vehicles and beyond, as a luxury lifestyle brand." said Lexus International President Yoshihiro Sawa.

2019CYTD Sales Results by Region

Old 08-08-19, 12:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Good results for Lexus worldwide
Old 08-08-19, 11:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good results for Lexus worldwide
I would say ok, not great. They added a lower cost model (UX) so sales should go up, but the other boost is the hugely improved new ES.
Old 08-09-19, 04:57 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Trexus
LC Sales so far in U.S.:

2017 - 2,487
2018 - 1,979
2019 - 764 YTD - January thru July, my projection 1,500 (I believe Lexus projected sales of LC is 4,000)
Total = 5,230

8 Series sales since inception in U.S.:

2018 - 223
2019 - 1,750 YTD - January thru July
Total = 1,973

Good Car Bad Car has 2017 as 1,731 for the LC, not 2,487. 2018 and 2019 are the same.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/10...onthly-yearly/

Quick Reply: July 2019 Sales Thread