Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what attracts people to buy specific vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Default what attracts people to buy specific vehicles

i often think about why people buy what they buy...

in the case of automobiles, like many purchases it's at least as emotional as it is rational. people can justify anything, no matter how tortured the 'logic'.

so why do people buy what they buy?

broad categories of reasons in no particular order:
  1. price / payments - for a lot of people, how much they're going to pay is a huge factor. others, less so. but sometimes a deal is closed because someone accepts the price/payments involved, even if the other factors here are not ideal. some people will pay whatever it takes.
  2. features/function - some people look for specific features/functions on a vehicle, and for them, they may not buy a vehicle that lacks certain features/functions. others will buy a vehicle even without a feature/function they want, if it satisfies other factors.
  3. style/type - a huge factor for most, what the vehicle looks like, is it attractive, or at least, not ugly to the buyer, and does it connect to the buyer's image to one degree or another. everyone's make a statement one way or another depending on a vehicle's style.
  4. color - a massive factor, some people simply won't buy a vehicle in particular colors, and will buy another vehicle because they love the color, even if it's lacking in some of the other factors.
  5. image/brand - what a buyer thinks the car will 'say' to others about them. example, many people buy/lease a bmw because they think it fits with their image (powerful, competent, luxurious, successful, etc.), even if the bmw (or other brand) model they're buying is actually nothing special if looked at objectively. some people will reject a brand because they don't want to be associated with its image (bmw again ).
  6. availability - some will buy a vehicle simply because it's what's right in front of them, and they don't want to wait for what they might consider 'ideal' to be available, or have to go through the hassle of finding it.
  7. validating self-image - many buy a vehicle to validate their values or approach to life. some might buy a prius to walk the walk on 'saving the planet', and some might ONLY buy used cars or ALWAYS keep cars at least 10 years because it validates their values of making 'sensible' purchases.
    [ADDED BELOW]
  8. reliability
  9. exclusivity or collectible nature of the vehicle - some want a car that no one else has or will potentially appreciate in value
  10. vehicle size - needs to fit in a certain space, such as parking garage tight spaces, or carry family of 7 for example
  11. brand familiarity - many have a strong affinity to a brand after good experiences and familiarity with models and controls
  12. performance/capability - whether 0-60, handling, or off-road capabilities - this is often a huge influencing factor
  13. safety - many prioritize safety tech and crash test results high in their purchasing decisions, particularly those with children

there's no right or wrong here. i admit i'm influenced by a number of these things to one degree or another, but features/function and style is probably biggest for me.

what do you think?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-09-19 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 11:08 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow that's a pretty good list and I fall into pretty much all of them. Of course it also depends on whether it's my daily driver or weekend car.

For my daily driver its price, features, looks, function/practicality and I'm pretty picky about color so I never compromise on that. Image/Brand is a factor but isn't as important across the same tier. I leased a BMW but couldn't care less if it was an Audi or Mercedes badge, I just like the overall package better (features, how it drove, etc.). Of course I did lease a Dodge too which probably has a negative image.

For my weekend car I want something that is different/exclusive, impractical, looks good, fast and fun. Image/Brand isn't a factor for this car (obviously as I have a Nissan in this category).
Old 08-02-19, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks like a solid list of reasons already.

I just want to know what compels someone to buy a Clown Car er Smart Car
Old 08-02-19, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i often think about why people buy what they buy...what do you think?
I think you left out one big reason.....previous experience, whether it be with the vehicle itself, or with the service/treatment at the dealership.
Old 08-02-19, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I just want to know what compels someone to buy a Clown Car er Smart Car
One would be ease of parking.

Old 08-02-19, 11:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you left out one big reason.....previous experience, whether it be with the vehicle itself, or with the service/treatment at the dealership.
Good point. Also could have included reliability.
Old 08-02-19, 11:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,762 Likes on 1,908 Posts

I'd say that for many people, price/payments and availability are some of the biggest ones. A lot of people simply need something that can get them from A to B and is affordable. This mission also brings into play fuel efficiency and reliability, as a cheap commuter car isn't ideal if it gets poor mileage has lots of issues.

But I still think style/type is at least as important as price. Generally, even non-car people have some vague idea of what they want. My wife, for instance, cares nothing about cars, but she knew her last car was going to be a small or small-ish hatchback. She just wanted it to be easy to park, have good fuel economy, and be affordable, and a hatchback was preferable for the off chance we need to carry something tall in the rear, particularly since my cars tend to be sedans. She wasn't exactly sure which model to get, but we set a budget and worked from there. We ended up getting a Nissan Versa Note, which complimented my (at the time) Camry pretty well. We had the affordable runabout for her longer commutes and the more refined sedan for my shorter commutes and for driving around on the weekends. It was a pretty good balance that still plays out virtually the same now that I have the IS, another sedan.

I think she was also partially biased against sedans, since she and I actually only had one car before, which was a 2010 Camry. She thought it was too long, and of course, hatchbacks tend to be shorter than equally-sized sedans.

So what about me? I think for me it's complicated, but all of the stuff you listed comes into play. Perhaps reliability, as well. In fact, I think the features/function and style/type are the biggest for me, followed by reliability/dependability and availability. I refuse to buy any car sight unseen - I have to at least go for a test drive (or two, in the case of my IS) before pulling the trigger. I'm a bit nervous about using something like Vroom or Carvana, since the car will almost always have to be shipped - at least until recently, when Carvana finally opened one of their shops here in Kansas City. Anyway, a big part of it for me was wanting something more "fun" to drive - which translated to more power, better handling balance, and more prestige than my old Camry. I didn't want to go Mustang or Camaro because of the image and the fact that they only had two doors, and the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ sacrificed a bit too much on comfort and amenities (and again, were coupes). So, I gravitated towards affordable compact premium sedans. The IS seemed like the best bet at its price, at the time, given my familiarity with Toyota and my desire not to have German repair bills. So maybe "brand loyalty" is also a factor?

It's weird, because cars don't fit into neat categories all the time. Maybe I prefer RWD-based sedans, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy or would never want to own a FWD-based hatch or an SUV or a truck. Or, maybe it's just that I think I prefer those sedans, and I really don't know what I want. I don't think anyone really does until they have lived with the car for a while.

Last edited by arentz07; 08-02-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:35 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

1% buys on image, 99% of the rest of the population ranges from need to wants.
Old 08-02-19, 12:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,363 Posts

My adds (some already mentioned in replies above):

Reliability - while this might fall into being aligned with 'brands' somewhat, I think it's it's own dimension
Exclusivity or collectible nature of the vehicle - I want a car that no one else has or will potentially appreciate in value
Vehicle Size - needs to fit in a certain space, such as parking garage tight spaces, street parking as MM mentions above (a factor in a recent purchase of mine) or carry my family of 7
Brand Familiarity - I moved from a Toyota to my first Lexus partially because the switches and displays were 'in the correct spot' and felt right to me from a design perspective
Performance - a lot of sports cars sold on 0-60 times

I'd also dispute the 'validate self image' component being the only interpretation of the hybrid equation. Certainly is for some, but I bought one because I want better MPG. Will I recoup over the life of the car the extra cost? Maybe - I run run them into the ground, but don't care if people see the Hybrid badge or not unless it gets me into a special lane on the highway or parking spot.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-02-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 01:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting list of reasons. Certain the case for many.
I for one am high on the COLOR point. A unique and likable color can transform an ordinary car into something special. It can also keep a car from getting old (tiring). As in, if you don't see too many of a certain color out on the road, it helps keep things a bit more interesting.
Old 08-03-19, 06:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I look at things from my own unique perspective on this. It may work for others or it might not. It is just my opinion.

I look at things first from a how long do I want to own something. If it is something I think I will keep for years, 10 at the minimum, I want something with a proven reliable reputation. I would be willing to give up lots of features and other things for this reliability component. Total cost of ownership as well and fuel economy.

I also look at dealer and where I am buying it. My last number of Toyota models all came from the same place, same salesperson, all the same process when buying. Having this relationship takes a lot of the stress out of buying a model you like.

That said, if I am interested in a shorter term car, which I think I will for the next go around, I think what would attract me the most would be new state-of-the-art features, styling, and brand image.

Finally price, if there is no way of dealing on price, I would just move on. I just can’t justify an MSRP price or a one price is all. I can definitely live without that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-05-19, 08:19 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding your idea of availability, I'm always curious what are people flexible on when purchasing vs. what is a must have.

For example, in America, ~90% or more people are buying from dealer inventory. So they're largely buying what's available in terms of options and packages and interior/exterior color combos that day. Yes you can sometimes get a dealer swap, but odds of finding the exact build and mix/match of colors and features that you want and value are nearly 0%. There's a saying that Americans buy cars like Europeans buy shoes. Oh I think I'll go get a car, try some on at the dealer, and then take one home that day. Obviously that's simplifying it, and people are doing more research these days, but again, the car you configured online and what you end up getting are more often than not, different.

Some brands like to use custom orders with limitless a la carte options like Porsche and ultra luxury cars.

But to you... what are some of your must have features/aspects, vs what are you willing to flex on?
Old 08-05-19, 08:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Interesting question.

We own both a Highlander and a GS350.

For the GS, I bought it because of prior experience. I loved my 2015 GS, which came as an IS replacement. I loved my IS, but needed more room so the GS was a natural next step. On my current GS, the important features that were not on my 2015 were dynamic radar cruise control and triple LED headlights.

The Highlander also replaced a previous Highlander, so again, it was based on prior ownership experience. Important criteria were a hybrid drivetrain, AWD, 7 seats, but in a fairly small footprint.

I am a long time Toyota/Lexus owner. I tried to break the chain earlier this year with a Stinger to replace my 15 GS, but the local Kia dealers couldn't get the trim/color combo I was looking for, and chose to stick with what's familiar to me.

For me, reliability is absolutely number 1, refinement is number 2. I have no time to deal with issues, no matter how small. I want everything to work exactly as expected, every time. No surprises.

For CarPlay/Android Auto, I personally could not care less. Perhaps nice to have, but it would have no bearing in my decisions.
Old 08-05-19, 08:47 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

impressionability. Everyone else is driving one, i want one too.
Old 08-06-19, 07:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I'd also add safety which I don't think has been mentioned yet. And as others have mentioned, I'd add reliability to the list. Not just because I always buy used (and typically out of warranty), but because I just don't want the hassle of my car being at the mechanic/dealer for service more often than I feel it should.

For me, everything boils down to value. What creates value to me is:
Reliability + Aesthetics + Comfort & Ride Quality + Size Practicality (car/SUV must fit my family needs) + Safety + Brand image

I am not big into my car needing a ton of technology - if I can stream music, use BT for phone calls, I'm pretty much set. I have never once used navigation in a car - I always use my phone. I'm also a creature of habit & comfort, so I like my 15 years' experience owning Toyota and Lexus products - I pretty much know what to expect, where buttons are located, etc.

Quick Reply: what attracts people to buy specific vehicles