Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX gets two three-cylinder engine options

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 08:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2020 Buick Encore GX gets two three-cylinder engine options

The semi-subcompact crossover will come in three trim levels that mix-and-match two turbocharged three-cylinder engines, two transmissions, and two drivetrains. The smaller engine is a 1.2-liter three-pot with 137 horsepower and 166 pound-feet of torque. This comes in one horse and 18 lb-ft of twist beyond the 1.4-liter four-cylinder in the smaller Encore. This engine will only be paired with a CVT and front-wheel drive in the Preferred, Select, and Essence trims.

The meatier motor is a 1.3-liter three-cylinder with 155 hp and 174 lb-ft. That's down on the 163 hp and 177 lb-ft that the same engine produces in the Chinese-market version of the Encore GX. However, it gets buyers close to the 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that used to be optional on the smaller Encore, producing 153 hp and 177 lb-ft. This engine can be optioned on the front-wheel drive Select and Essence trims, where it would be mated to the CVT. The 1.3-liter three-cylinder is standard on all trims optioned with all-wheel drive, where it gets paired with GM's nine-speed automatic. GM does say the horsepower figures are estimates at the moment, so don't be surprised at any slight changes before deliveries begin next year.

The Encore GX will serve buyers who would love it if the Encore had a bit more room but don't want to step up to the Envision. For a price GM hasn't announced yet, the Encore GX will reward those buyers with five more feet of cargo space, and some extra power for all those who decide to level up further. The junior Encore weighs just over 3,200 pounds, it's likely the Encore GX will shade that some. The Encore GX does ride on GM's new VSS-F platform, though, so the advanced architecture could provide an overall superior experience even with the lesser three-cylinder.

GM has also said that the Encore GX will come standard with safety kit like forward collision alert and lane keep assist with a lane departure warning, features that are cost extras on the Encore. The Encore GX will also include automatic emergency braking, which can't be had on the Encore at any price.
Source
Old 08-08-19, 11:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing majority of the new Mini Coopers on the road are now 3 cylinders. Guess people will have to get used to it for more mainstream vehicles.
Old 08-08-19, 12:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Agreeable and pleasant styling for a small one. Other brands should take note.
Old 08-08-19, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It would make more sense for GM to just offer the most powerful engine as standard.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-08-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 03:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I read the headline as "2020 Buick Encore GX gets two [interconnected] three-cylinder engines [thus equalling a 6-cylinder engine]". Now that would be something -- true cylinder shutdown, with a 6-cyl engine when you need the power and a 3-cyl engine when you need economy.

Old 08-08-19, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I read the headline as "2020 Buick Encore GX gets two [[i]interconnected] three-cylinder engines [[b]thus equalling a 6-cylinder engine]". Now that would be something -- true cylinder shutdown, with a 6-cyl engine when you need the power and a 3-cyl engine when you need economy.
Edited the title, thanks
Old 08-08-19, 07:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Edited the title, thanks
Thanks! But there really was no great need to do so. I think we all understood what it meant.
Old 08-08-19, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Now that would be something -- true cylinder shutdown, with a 6-cyl engine when you need the power and a 3-cyl engine when you need economy.
Some versions of GM's 3.6L V6 already do that under light vehicle-loads.
Old 08-08-19, 08:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some versions of GM's 3.6L V6 already do that under light vehicle-loads.
You are talking about cylinder deactivation; I am talking about true shutdown of an unneeded engine.

In an engine with cylinder deactivation, when the full power is not needed, the intake and exhaust valves close off and the fuel injection is shut off, but because the deactivated cylinders turn on the common crankshaft, those cylinders are forced to continue running up and down; the remaining operating cylinders have to overcome the friction of the deactivated cylinders.

I am talking about 2 independent engines, with 2 different crankshafts, running in parallel and connected to a common transmission. When power is needed, both engines run and turn the common transmission but when power is not needed, one engine shuts off and a clutch removes it from the transmission. If I remember correctly, Audi is working on this concept.

This is the same concept that parallel hybrids work on: At high power, both the engine and the electric motor run; at low power, the engine is shut off and only the electric motor runs.

Last edited by Sulu; 08-09-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You are talking about cylinder deactivation; I am talking about true shutdown of an unneeded engine.

In an engine with cylinder deactivation, when the full power is not needed, the intake and exhaust valves close off and the fuel injection is shut off, but because the deactivated cylinders turn on the common crankshaft, those cylinders are forced to continue running up and down; the remaining operating cylinders have to overcome the friction of the deactivated cylinders.

I am talking about 2 independent engines, with 2 different crankshafts, running in parallel and connected to a common transmission. When power is needed, both engines run and turn the common transmission but when power is not needed, one engine shuts off and a clutch removes it from the transmission. If I remember correctly, Audi is working on this concept.
Yes, I understand the difference...I thought you were talking about the former.
Old 08-09-19, 08:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It would make more sense for GM to just offer the most powerful engine as standard.
In my area, I see who drives the Encore, and I'd be surprised if most of them care about more power. Mostly your stereotypical Buick customer.
Old 08-09-19, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
In my area, I see who drives the Encore, and I'd be surprised if most of them care about more power. Mostly your stereotypical Buick customer.

A huge number of them are sold in the D.C. area....from what I can tell, mostly to Soccer-Moms and/or people with small families. The "stereotypical" Buick customer is generally into larger Buicks.
Old 08-09-19, 10:13 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. I would have thought that a 3-cylinder engine would have major balancing issues unless there were balancing shafts.

As for parallel engine shutdown, I'd think a declutching mechanism would be one more piece of hardware to fail.

Wasn't there an engine (Cadillac?) that could run without any cooling fluid in an emergency? The computer would shut down most of the V8's cylinders and move the working ones around to equalize the heat load on the block. Clever idea, don't know how workable it was in reality. Or for that matter, how workable the old V8/6/4 engine idea was that Caddy engineered decades ago. Can you feel the cylinders coming in and out? It's true you'd still have cylinder friction but I'd imagine it wouldn't be all that much.
Old 08-09-19, 10:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A huge number of them are sold in the D.C. area....from what I can tell, mostly to Soccer-Moms and/or people with small families. The "stereotypical" Buick customer is generally into larger Buicks.
Well, I can tell you I see a very different customer base where I live. Definitely no "soccer moms" or family vehicles for the Encore around me. Empty nesters and older is primarily who I see driving this vehicle; perhaps some millennials.

Do you see any around your condo complex?
Old 08-09-19, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Well, I can tell you I see a very different customer base where I live. Definitely no "soccer moms" or family vehicles for the Encore around me. Empty nesters and older is primarily who I see driving this vehicle; perhaps some millennials.
Yeah.....partly agree on the empty-nesters.

Do you see any around your condo complex?[/QUOTE]

Yes....several. It's not as popular, though, as the RAV-4 and Honda CR-V. Every other parking space seems to have one of those LOL.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX gets two three-cylinder engine options