Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Plans to Keep GS and GS F Going

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 09:42 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Yeah I just read the thread, and it sounds like a power steering/speed-sensitive steering issue. Maybe a new battery is in order? Something seems to be wrong.
Old 08-21-19, 09:54 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is very wrong. My local Lexus dealership has looked at it 3 times and can't find the issue nor fix it. And Lexus won't acknowledge the issue.
Old 08-21-19, 11:00 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamalana
It is a steering issue. It pulls to one side at high speeds and it is not the lane assist. I turned that off and it stills does it. You should look it up and read all the comments. I think it's under "steering issue". I posted the original question in the thread.
Wow that sounds dangerous for sure. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-21-19, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I put 40k miles on a 4GS and never had any steering issue, strange
Old 08-25-19, 05:45 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for the people that are willing to buy a "GS 500" for $70K today, why not just buy a LS 500 for $75K (big discounts these days too)? Especially when the 5LS has been "criticized" for being too sporty for its class. Sounds like a proper 5GS to some people on this forum.

My aunt had a 3GS and went to a Model S. That Tesla hype around here tho...
Old 08-25-19, 05:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
So for the people that are willing to buy a "GS 500" for $70K today, why not just buy a LS 500 for $75K (big discounts these days too)? Especially when the 5LS has been "criticized" for being too sporty for its class. Sounds like a proper 5GS to some people on this forum.

Prices certainly similar in this hypothetical situation, but unfortunately 5LS is way too big & heavy to handle with agility of 4GS, just as my 4GS does not have the agility of my wife's 3IS.

On the bright side, 5LS is much more comfortable riding, quieter & better equipped than 4GS.

Benz, Beamer, Audi & Jag all have midsize rear drive luxury - why can't Lexus?
Old 08-25-19, 06:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude

I love the LS500, but it’s way too big and heavy for my consideration.
Old 08-25-19, 06:23 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Prices certainly similar in this hypothetical situation, but unfortunately 5LS is way too big & heavy to handle with agility of 4GS, just as my 4GS does not have the agility of my wife's 3IS.

On the bright side, 5LS is much more comfortable riding, quieter & better equipped than 4GS.

Benz, Beamer, Audi & Jag all have midsize rear drive luxury - why can't Lexus?
I really need to get behind the wheel of a 4GS sometime. I've driven a couple of its competitors (the G80 and the XF) and wonder how it compares. I have a coworker who was briefly looking at a GS 350 before he settled on his 335i, and he said it felt "heavy, but not bad". That's kinda how I would describe the G80, but the XF was a bit sharper.

I think Lexus with its relatively lightweight GS has the potential to make a sedan that is known for having composed handling. I really think it's a shame its sales are being cannibalized by the ES and to a degree, the crossovers, too.
Old 08-25-19, 06:40 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
I really need to get behind the wheel of a 4GS sometime. I've driven a couple of its competitors (the G80 and the XF) and wonder how it compares. I have a coworker who was briefly looking at a GS 350 before he settled on his 335i, and he said it felt "heavy, but not bad". That's kinda how I would describe the G80, but the XF was a bit sharper.

I think Lexus with its relatively lightweight GS has the potential to make a sedan that is known for having composed handling. I really think it's a shame its sales are being cannibalized by the ES and to a degree, the crossovers, too.
Back when the 4GS first came out, I remember the mags saying how it handled better than the F10 generation 5 series. I guess its not that hard to do since BMW started basing that generation of 5 series on the 7 series platform. And things haven't really changed much. I didn't buy my G30 5 series for any performance or handling reasons, but because it was comfortable and got me on the carpool lane.
Old 08-25-19, 07:40 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by jwong77
Back when the 4GS first came out, I remember the mags saying how it handled better than the F10 generation 5 series. I guess its not that hard to do since BMW started basing that generation of 5 series on the 7 series platform. And things haven't really changed much. I didn't buy my G30 5 series for any performance or handling reasons, but because it was comfortable and got me on the carpool lane.
Yeah, that illustates the earlier point made about the GS and its target demographic. I think Lexus figured it could differentiate the GS from the ES enough that this sort of buyer confusion wouldn't happen, but here we are.

I tend to forget the 5-series is based on the 7. Likewise, the GS and IS have a lot more in common than the GS and LS do. (They both are on the New N platform.)
Old 08-25-19, 08:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I have only test driven the original 2007-15 Jag XF. However, never driven the current 2015-23 XF.
However, it is tiny inside; even smaller than 4GS.
It has firm springs for agility and handling, yet soft dampers for ride.
It wasn't a back to back drive of XF against 4GS, so I can't really say, but I suspect old XF smaller and sharper, while 4GS bigger, softer, and more refined.

I have driven current Hyudai Genesis 3.8 V6.
Smart looking car, esp the front. Rear lacks chromework, so looks a trifle cheap.
Interior a bit bland.
Leather a bit old fashioned like Jaguar.
Huge inside.
Very comfortable and quiet.
Well equipped.
However, fuel economy and handling compromized.
Poorly moulded RHS rear window sunshade shows that Hyundai build quality not up to Lexus.
I almost bought Genesis.

Not driven latest 3 Series; only driven old 2012-19 330i 2.0T.
3 Series is much smaller and lighter than 4GS.
Old 330i 2.0T has a flatspot down the bottom, before the turbo spools up.
Old 330i quicker and outhandles bigger 4GS, but smaller inside than 4GS, less refined, and don't expect longevity....
Old 08-25-19, 10:10 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Why are you comparing a 3 series to a GS?
Old 08-25-19, 11:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Because arentz07's friend was comparing a GS450 to a 335i.
Old 08-26-19, 06:00 AM
arentz07
drives cars

My coworker was in the market for a luxury sedan and was considering something like the GS due to it being easier to fit child seats than compact sedans.
Old 08-26-19, 06:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

My coworker was in the market for a luxury sedan and was considering something like the GS due to it being easier to fit child seats than compact sedans.
The new 3 series is pretty huge. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as big interior wise as the GS.

Quick Reply: Lexus Plans to Keep GS and GS F Going